Wiring an 8274 + Albright (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@WarDamnEagle I won’t receive mine for a week or so, but if it fits I will most likely mount mine in the stock location of my 8274. If not, it will go under the hood.

I will let folks know if it fits in the 8274 or not.

And @SlinkyXJ would appreciate some pics of your mounting location and your wiring set up and what gauge cable you used for the remount.

Last edited:
Received my DC88P-1000 Albright today and as best as I can tell it’s all legit. I now have it mounted to my 8274 and it DOES fit under the Warn cover. Will try to finish up the wiring tomorrow or maybe the next day and will include more pics.

Mounting this contactor under the Warn Cover is pretty straightforward. Remove the plastic Warn cover, remove the old solenoid pack and set it aside, loosen the 2 large holding clamps & remove the bracket from the winch motor that the solenoid pack was attached to, the Albright has a mounting bracket attached to the back of it that you will use. Mark the locations for and then drill 3 holes that will hold the Albright to the old bracket...the 3 bolts must be very short or they will interfere with the winch motor. Then attach the bracket back on the motor using the old large clamps. Then fit the plastic Warn cover over the Albright to confirm that it does fit. Tight but you still have enough room. Then tomorrow, for me at least, wire it up. I believe I will be able to reuse the old Warn 4g cable. Here are some pics:

89DCBBB7-99BD-43ED-BC36-FF28DF6C1FD1.jpeg

1D19F827-1078-4884-A89D-4ED43FC1D9C7.jpeg

2CC5FCAE-3132-41B7-8951-86A062260C46.jpeg

7E483C59-C3C8-478F-A408-0E2CC1271600.jpeg

62E30DA1-C857-4E31-879B-95319497A829.jpeg

Could only attach 5 pics, here are a couple more:

0C4CFB7B-F8CD-4ADA-85CB-BF5030C1DD7B.jpeg

A8645B90-5FB5-4D98-913F-9E1599E42846.jpeg

Look legit John!

I might get one and keep as a spare with my superwinch contactor

Yep @WarDamnEagle , have the old 3 wire plug, white, black & green. Somehow will get it to work🙏, will be looking at @woodsman 44 pictures in post 32 & 34 of this thread for guidance.

Have some things to do this morning but will try to get after it this afternoon. Will get back here later and with pics if I can get it working.

Yep @WarDamnEagle , have the old 3 wire plug, white, black & green. Somehow will get it to work🙏, will be looking at @woodsman 44 pictures in post 32 & 34 of this thread for guidance.

Have some things to do this morning but will try to get after it this afternoon. Will get back here later and with pics if I can get it working.

Thanks John. I'm in no hurry. I have two 8274's that I want to update but it will likely be a year or two before I get around to it.

Ok, done with mine. Next!😎

Since I was able to put the DC88P-1000 Albright contactor under the Warn plastic cover and reuse my stock Warn cables...also thanks to @woodsman 44 , @1911 as well as many others, the wiring was very straightforward.

Have not tried any real pulls yet, but it does go in/out. From what I gather, if You have the stock 8274 motor like I do, the green wire from the remote goes to the LEFT pin & black to the RIGHT pin. It works. If you don’t have the stock motor these are reversed.

The white wire from the remote has a round connection on it and goes to the RIGHT front lug of the Albright contactor. Same lug as the positive HOT from the battery. I put red tape on this white wire to indicate HOT.

Pics as promised and good luck with yours. And thanks for everyone’s help.

C3E84E74-B14E-4AEF-A232-08F44EAB4535.jpeg

BE4D6478-7662-4AB8-8ACC-22448E6330A4.jpeg

3AC836A4-848E-43F5-A61F-CBFC0FF28A89.jpeg

715BDEBE-7423-4768-8645-EE3655582D6A.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great John. For some reason I thought that remote plug was much deeper but I don't think I have ever taken the cover off to look. Great to know it fits.

I assume I can go with the 6hp motor and still use this contactor?

@WarDamnEagle here is what I ‘think’ I know:
A) I would feel good about using this Albright DC88P-1000 with the 6 HP motor.
B) For sure the Warn 34971 will do the trick. But as of right now it cost $190 & may/may not fit under the Warn plastic cover of an 8274.
C) On the remote plug, mine is the 3 wire plug and not deep at all. No fitment issues with the the DC88P-1000. I believe @1911 said the 5 wire plug was larger/deeper, still fits but a tight fit.

EDIT: to indicate the 5 wire remote fit was tight but @1911 got it to fit/work.

Last edited:
I believe @1911 said the 5 wire plug was larger/deeper.

Yes, it is deeper, projects further into the space inside the plastic cover. I was able to fit my Superwinch contactor in there but it was a close fit.

One last thing I’m going to do...not necessarily because it ‘has’ to be done, but I think on mine at least, it will be a good idea. Already ordered the parts.

Going to replace those 3 old original Warn 4g cables that I reused, going from the motor to the Albright with some 2g ‘welding’cable.

And not just to get the thicker 2g. Here’s my thinking, you may not have this issue. Those old cables are 20+ years old...very short..8-10 inches and VERY unbending. I reshaped them and got them on there but even so, they tend to be putting a lot of unwanted pressure/tension on the posts...both on the motor and the Albright.

I can make the welding cable a little bit longer and since it‘s so much more pliable, it will relieve the tension on those posts.

Just an FYI check yours.

Last edited:
I’m having the same issue did you ever find out the problem?

Update. I tested the motor per the above and it did nothing in both directions. So I think I got a bad one. What was strange is that the first time I hit the switch it worked for about a second before it went dead. It made me think I had wired wrong and somehow fried the motor.

I doubled checked my wiring to be correct. I also found a print on Albright's website (below) on the contactor and validated that it is switching properly (and I have the wiring correct).

Time to pull the motor and see if I can find whats wrong with it and/or replace it. So close to having this done.........:)

View attachment 2171213

This thread has been a great help to me! Lots of information that I hadn't found elsewhere.

I've purchased the DC88P - 1000 as well for my 8274. I also purchased a 9.5xp motor for mine after my 8274 sat in a box in my garage for 18 yrs. Mounting the contactor in the engine bay to (possibly) help with airflow to radiator since control box won't be in front of it any longer. Unimportant in the woods since speed is slow to 0 for me, but when driving on the road it might help a little... Also, thought engine bay would be out of the elements better for the contactor.

Running all new 2AWG cables. Searched on amazon and found some welding cables, but they aren't resistant to oils etc. I ended up getting mine at battery cables usa that I thought were a decent price compared to the ones on amazon and they have better ratings if anyone is interested. Some autoparts places had these wires, but at much higher prices. Hope this helps someone.

Battery Cable Flexible OFC Copper UL MTW/THW/SGT SAE J1127 - By the Foot
This cable carries multiple ratings in one wire:
  • UL MTW Machine Tool Wire
  • UL1426 BC5-W2 Boat Cable ABYC and USCG Approved for use on boats
  • UL THW Building Wire Meeting NEC Code for building wire
  • UL AWM Styles 1232/1283/1337/10070 Rated 600V
  • UL AWM Style 10269 Rated 1000V
  • UL VW-1 Flame Rating
  • RoHS Compliant
  • SAE J1127 SGT Automotive Battery Cable
  • PVC Jacket is Very Resistant to Oil, Water, Acid, Gas, Tears and Abrasions
  • The Jacket Insulation Meets UL VW1 Flame Resistance Rating
  • Annealed Pure Electrolytic Copper with Class K (Type III) Rope Lay for flexibility
  • FULL AWG Copper Content
  • MADE IN THE USA

I'm almost ready to order two of the Albright DC88P-1000s from Dieselize (Amazon), one for the older Warn 8274 on my '76 FJ40 and one for the Warn 8274-50 on my '86 FJ60. Will it fit both the older and newer winches?

Fit? You have to mount and wire the contactor yourself, so not sure if that constitutes "fit" in your opinion. I thought the newer warn winches came with contactors though.

Warn did not start using contractors until just a few years ago.

Like mentioned, you're going to have custom fit the unit and new cables. That said, it appears, size wise, there is no fitment issue.

Right. The 8274-50 is the new resurrection of the OG 8274. You can buy them new today:

I also purchased my Albright from Deiselize, it is a ‘very’ tight fit under my 3wire Warn plastic case...but it does fit. See post 88 above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom