Windshield frame Hinge screw removal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have two (2) screws that are giving me hell, i have used an impact driver with JIS bits to loosen 14 screws. 1 is stuck, and I'll continue to spray with penetrating oil and use impact new shake and break tool i just purchased.

The other just spins and spins. This seems to have lost its grip from the back side of the firewall. See attached picture. What donyou reccomend to do to remove beside drilling out? Could i use vise grips and grab the back side and squeeze to get a better grip?

Screenshot_20191118-171759_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191118-171559_Gallery.jpg

the backside of that screw sports a square nut held in place by a welded "box". it allows for small freedoms of movement to adjust things like aprons and windshields.

you will need to sacrifice the "box" that holds the square nut. they are pretty thin metal and rusty. it can be pried open with a screwdriver or use a cold chisel to knock the spot weld loose.

then a torch to heat the nut or vice grips to hold it and allow removal of the screw with the shake and break.

hOOter

the backside of that screw sports a square nut held in place by a welded "box". it allows for small freedoms of movement to adjust things like aprons and windshields.

you will need to sacrifice the "box" that holds the square nut. they are pretty thin metal and rusty. it can be pried open with a screwdriver or use a cold chisel to knock the spot weld loose.

then a torch to heat the nut or vice grips to hold it and allow removal of the screw with the shake and break.

hOOter
Thanks hooter thats what I was wondering ifni coud do.

HOT HOT HEAT
blue flame wrench it.
Heat the snot out of it then hit it with the impact driver.

Drill it out and tap the 8mm thread, around 1/4 drill bit should work. I’ve drilled and tapped a couple.
Thanks

Drill it out and tap the 8mm thread, around 1/4 drill bit should work. I’ve drilled and tapped a couple.

Don’t just estimate the drill size. Use the correct drill for the tap size.

Drill and tap

I fought with mine on my 67 for months while I was doing other tasks, thinking I’d get lucky and they’d loosen. Broke a couple proto large phillip impact sockets and lots of wasted efforts. Finally sucked it up and drilled/tapped. Done.

Good news I got one more screw off. Still working on the last one. Will see if I can get it off to night. This is the one that just spins and spins. I am soaking the other pin and hinge assy and going to press out the pin and replace it with one of SMG's custom SS w/ sinterd bushing

Last edited:
Well I got the last screw off yeah no I am working on removing the pins. Thanks for all the great advise.

just out of curiosity, do you have stock hinges? that hinge bolt head looks stripped too.
stock hinge screws I was able to retrieve all out successfully, without the need for drilling. But the hinge pins are worn and I am trying to remove these and they are a bitch to get out. I think I'll need to cut the pin and attempt to push them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom