Barn Door Hinge Pin Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
What is the best technique for removal of the barn door hinge pins? I will be replacing them with the stainless pins by @SMG . It looks like they will need to be drilled from the bottom but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has done this.
Thanks.

Can’t say for the barn door pins as I have a FST…but I removed my hood pins using a Bosch Roto Hammer. Just kept it on the hammer setting. Came out no problemo!

IMG_4160.jpeg

If they have shoulders worn into them pounding could just bang things up, you may have to carefully line up, bang a bit then adjust for next shoulder.

Completed 1 out of 4 barn door hinge pin replacements with the stainless pins by @SMG Removal of the old pin was accomplished by grinding off the flared end at the bottom of the old pin. Then the existing pin was driven out fairly easily with a punch.
In order for the new bronze bushings to fit, I had to drill out the holes on the inner hinge (the part that mounts to the door) with a 3/8" bit. Then I had to grind the inner face of the outer hinges (the part that mounts to the body) so that it would accept the added width of the bushings. It was fiddley. Hopefully, with the learning curve behind me, the other 3 will go a bit easier. Still have to replace the rubber pads which are on order from SOR and do so paint touch up.

07.08.2023.Barn Door Hinge Pin Removal.2.jpg

07.08.2023.Barn Door Hinge Pin Removal.1.jpg

07.08.2023.Barn Door Hinge Pin Removal.3.jpg

07.08.2023.Barn Door Hinge Replacement.3.jpg

07.08.2023.Barn Door Hinge Replacement.6.jpg

Nice! Could also probably drill flared end, "almost" to hinge leaf, then drive out. Either way, it's a nice upgrade.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom