Removing stuck windshield hinge screws (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to remove stuck windshield hinge screws to install side view mirrors.

Everything is painted or I would try to heat the screw up to remove

20231210_151558.jpg

I’d spay some WD around if for a few days then use a small hammer impact. Then when you go to reinstall, use a bit of never seize.

ZKH 1/2" CR-V Hand Impact Screwdriver, Manual Reversible Impact Driver Includes 12-Piece Flathead, Phillips, Hex Bit Set, Disengage Rusted Fasteners or Frozen Bolts, Ideal Christmas Gifts for Men, Dad https://a.co/d/7PeVIvO

I
Trying to remove stuck windshield hinge screws to install side view mirrors.

Everything is painted or I would try to heat the screw up to remove

View attachment 3503786
When I took my windshield frame off to replace it with a Safari frame. I used this successfully on my ‘63 to remove those screws. That and 1/2 a can of PB Blaster.

C4CBECAF-1CD2-4309-8792-F37AF1F34E5D.png

I am struggling with mine too. SOAKED multiple times with PB, even on the backside. Have wacked with BFH, 3/8 air hammer with screws bit, tighten and loosen - no budge. I'm willing to heat, but what is best way with that screw head?
I can reach behind above the kick vent (even wire brushed back side of screws)
Do i have to pull my top and drop windshield?
What is best tool to heat the screw?

I didn’t have much luck with the impact driver. I tended to damage the heads. I did have good luck using a large phillips with the hex base. I put a box end wrench on it and leaned my shoulder into the screwdriver while turning the box end wrench. Also works with an assistant to help turn the wrench.

IMG_2318.jpeg

Whatever driver you use make sure you’re using a large JIS bit, not a phillips.

I used my power driver on high torque setting, with whatever bit fitted best into the (now somewhat mullered) crosshead screws.

Actually used a flat bit on one of them, and got them all out eventually. Get a good stance, and put all your weight on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom