Why no amber LED fog lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My marimotos have a very sharp cutoff. They maybe what you are looking for.

My marimotos have a very sharp cutoff. They maybe what you are looking for.
Those look nice! But I am looking for a stand alone auxiliary light setup. Those look like they are made for a OEM location.

You need to select the general ones that are not braketed for a certain vehicle. I made my own brakets and mounted mine in the grill.. they have two screws in the back that i used with two L brackets from home Depot.

I got them because I could not find many who understood how to advertise proper fog lights. Most are just flood and cannot be used while driving on roads.

You need to select the general ones that are not braketed for a certain vehicle. I made my own brakets and mounted mine in the grill.. they have two screws in the back that i used with two L brackets from home Depot.

I got them because I could not find many who understood how to advertise proper fog lights. Most are just flood and cannot be used while driving on roads.
Thanks! I’ll look for those on the site.

I am looking for fog lamps for my FJ62. I was thinking about the PIAA 3.5" fog lamps PIAA | LP530 LED Ion Yellow Wide Spread Fog Beam Kit #22-05370
Anyone have any other suggestions? There doesn't seem to be a lot of good true fog lights out there for road use (true tight cut off).

Just as a update, I love the crap outta those 3.7” VisionX’s I posted about.

I have 2 pair & 1 I keep a clear Euro beam pattern on, the inner pair I have a clear lense.

I’m about to switch back to my yellow lense Euro pattern for Winter, but they fit so tight that swapping lenses is a bit of work as well as they make them fit.

VisionX I have :

My 2 sets are the ones on the far right, the 3.7” tab screws up & brings the 4.7”, but the 2250 lumens in their lenses is effective as anything that compact.

Lenses that IMO are mandatory to make these year-round awesome:

Again, 3.7” get no love on that page but I have PN#’s for all the clear / amber in spot / Euro / flood lenses. IIRC price is ~$12 per cover, but are very quality & have a tough silicone gasket.

I have that same series in 4.7” in the boat, they are just that good.

(Not a employee or paid to plug them) ;)

Much later on in that article, the writer kinda roasts the Baja Designs SAE Squadron cube lights for not having a sharp cutoff, but BD maintains that they meet or exceed the standard, meaning better chance of blinding oncoming drivers with glare but street legal all the same.

I'm looking for something to use on rural roads in the 4Runner, and while I do need to have something that's SAE compliant due to local law enforcement not having enough to do, it's really more of an aux light that I'm looking for, so the taller pattern of light output from the BD SAE Squadrons might be the best option for me, especially given they mount in place of the stock foglights, the only issue is the price. I'd treat them like I would the high beams and shut them off when there's oncoming traffic, they wouldn't be on just because they look cool. I'd get them in amber though, because they'd look cool.

I'd get them in amber though, because they'd look cool.

The BD ONX6 20" driving in Amber is honestly the best LED light I've experienced. The spread & Kelvin is beyond comparison in all conditions - except winter. LED would be my very last pick for winter fogs. Both with Rigid DOT's and later the ONX6, light output would drop 100% every 15 minutes when needed most due to ice build-up. Useless in night driving winter conditions even with Aquapel.

JW makes heated LED's now, but not in a fog pattern. Halogen or HID are still the only fogs for winter conditions. I'm in the Rockies so YMMV

Edit: can't say I have a use for fog's after the Morimoto D2S Mini conversion. Great upgrade if you're still running Halogen (and legal)

Last edited:
The BD ONX6 20" driving in Amber is honestly the best LED light I've experienced. The spread & Kelvin is beyond comparison in all conditions - except winter. LED would be my very last pick for winter fogs. Both with Rigid DOT's and later the ONX6, light output would drop 100% every 15 minutes when needed most due to ice build-up. Useless in night driving winter conditions even with Aquapel.

JW makes heated LED's now, but not in a fog pattern. Halogen or HID are still the only fogs for winter conditions. I'm in the Rockies so YMMV

Edit: can't say I have a use for fog's after the Morimoto D2S Mini conversion. Great upgrade if you're still running Halogen (and legal)
Thanks. I wanted fogs for bad conditions but wanted LED for the low power consumptions. I wish they would make a heated lens LED fog!

That same article went on at length about how BD's color temps are the best in the LED game, and how their selective amber filters are able to be more efficient as they don't have to shift the color as far in the spectrum, but they don't create as much heat as the Rigids which are coming from a higher color temp and end up looking kinda green for an amber/yellow light.

I hadn't really considered the ice build up effect, but that's a valid point. The amber's would run hotter than the white due to the filter, but still much cooler than a halogen or HID, I don't think the filter would make any difference in the winter.

We seem to get a lot more snowing and -20 than we do snowing and -3 kind of weather, the snow is dryer, and doesn't stick the same way, so it's not a problem when it's cold, but there will be times when that's an issue.

Baja Designs CRI is amazing and absolutely worth the price for that alone. Also, the ability interchange color and optics.

On a side note - I had water egress issues in the past with 4 different Rigids and zero customer service. Not even a reply on 2 separate incidents. BD sent me a replacement ONX6 because the anodizing turned purple, which I couldn't care less about as it's usually covered to avoid tickets. But I only emailed them asking for suggestions on what type of paint was safe to use for cooling. Anyways - great customer service and warranty as well.

Maybe one day some genius will make heated LED DOT Fogs. Guess we're in the minority of users given our locale. But highly recommend a bixenon retro for winter...... with JDM headlight washers! (bless that little button)

Last edited:
In that same article on TW he tests the rigids and Baja designs for they're ability to melt ice and they both get hot enough at the lens to do so. The selective yellow gets even warmer turning some of the white and blue light into heat.

BD is also making it right by fixing their optics to produce less glare as crashnburn80 found that they were 15+ times over the legal glare threshold.

The new diode dynamics SS3 lights also look very promising. They are using TIR reflectors and direct solder copper circuit boards. Their selective yellow pods also use 4000k LED's so the lens doesnt have to be as yellow as some in order to filter it down to 3000k. I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of the pro in selective yellow fog sae/dot while the black Friday promotion is on.

In that same article on TW he tests the rigids and Baja designs for they're ability to melt ice and they both get hot enough at the lens to do so. The selective yellow gets even warmer turning some of the white and blue light into heat.

BD is also making it right by fixing their optics to produce less glare as crashnburn80 found that they were 15+ times over the legal glare threshold.

The new diode dynamics SS3 lights also look very promising. They are using TIR reflectors and direct solder copper circuit boards. Their selective yellow pods also use 4000k LED's so the lens doesnt have to be as yellow as some in order to filter it down to 3000k. I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of the pro in selective yellow fog sae/dot while the black Friday promotion is on.

I had been trying to track down a used set of BD SAE yellow fogs pre-fix, but the Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro SAE yellow fogs do look VERY promising, and are even cheaper to purchase than the BD's.

I had been trying to track down a used set of BD SAE yellow fogs pre-fix, but the Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro SAE yellow fogs do look VERY promising, and are even cheaper to purchase than the BD's.
Ya, I'm a huge fan of BD lights except for the SAE squadron. I'm curious as to what the fix will look like as far as output goes but I just don't think they are going to be as wide as the 80° coverage that the SS3 has.

From all the Fog lights that crashnburn80 has tested these look like they could be the best yet. From the pictures I've seen, they also have what I think is the perfect fog light beam pattern (the pro series that is. The sport series might be a bit too narrow for my liking). I would love to see his review of them first but then I'll miss out on the Black Friday deal, so I think I'm going to buy them pretty soon.

Ya, I'm a huge fan of BD lights except for the SAE squadron. I'm curious as to what the fix will look like as far as output goes but I just don't think they are going to be as wide as the 80° coverage that the SS3 has.

From all the Fog lights that crashnburn80 has tested these look like they could be the best yet. From the pictures I've seen, they also have what I think is the perfect fog light beam pattern (the pro series that is. The sport series might be a bit too narrow for my liking). I would love to see his review of them first but then I'll miss out on the Black Friday deal, so I think I'm going to buy them pretty soon.

The BD SAE fogs have more vertical light spill (than they should), which is going to be closer to a straight up aux light, which is ultimately what I'm looking for, but needs to be street legal. The DD SS3 SAE Pro fogs's have a decently tall area of light, but that width is something else! With spotting wildlife in the ditches being the primary use for me, that wide area of light would be very useful. I just can't decide!

I wish Crashburn80 would have completed his testing on these prior to the Black Friday sales!

Reviving thread:

Does anyone have experience with these new DOT/SAE J583 fog light from Rigid Industries

I'm thinking about placing them in the space circled in the last pic, though it would take a little trimming of the plastic grill supports:

906704_SR-SERIES_PRO_6__SAE_Yellow_Pair.jpg

IMG_6501.jpg

Last edited:
Reviving thread:

Does anyone have experience with these new DOT/SAE J583 fog light from Rigid Industries (https://www.rigidindustries.com/sr-...ctive-yellow-surface-mount-pair-906704.html)?

I'm thinking about placing them in the space circled in the last pic, though it would take a little trimming of the plastic grill supports:

View attachment 2174175
View attachment 2174176
Well the square RIGID led fog lights seem to be very good at being a true fog light, so I would assume the light-bar configuration would be about the same? They are both DOT compliant so that is good :). I also came across this brand as well but I dont think they make a fog light bar. LED Pods

Reviving thread:

Does anyone have experience with these new DOT/SAE J583 fog light from Rigid Industries (https://www.rigidindustries.com/sr-...ctive-yellow-surface-mount-pair-906704.html)?

View attachment 2174175
View attachment 2174176

That link doesn't work for me. I'm looking for something for the front of my GX470 and that might do the trick.

I just got some of the Diode Dynamics Pro SAE fogs in selective yellow for the 4Runner, and they are amazing! I haven't taken my own pics yet, but the ones that are being posted up by others show what you can expect from them. They overpower the HID low beams up close and have a very wide, low beam that really lights up the ditches, but keeps the light out of the eyes of oncoming traffic. The light intensity is obvious from the front of the vehicle, but the light is focused down and I've been flashed only once in a few weeks of heavy use, day and night, inclement weather and clear, just to see what the response would be. I got flashed more than this with the stock foglamps on the highway, I'm going to say they are not offensive to oncoming traffic when properly aimed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom