Where Has Your 80 Taken You?: 80 Series Camping/Overland/Adventure Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that the Steens? I love that corner of the state.
The snowy mountains in the background are indeed the Steens. Last spring break we took the kids around to the haunts of our youth and I was able to find a route across the alvord up into big sand gap across towards willow creek hot springs. Old maps show the route as the Central Oregon Military Wagon Road. It started in Eugene I believe and originally pushed east to a fort in NV (IIRC it’s Fort McDermitt) it also pushes across present day Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge in South Central Oregon (camp shot photo take here). The road out of big sand gap was fun sorta steep and sandy if only it were longer. It’s a cool spot. The Alvord is full of sprinter vans and 4Runner folks, but if you bring your extra gas the margins on the East side have some great exploring. Just keep it off of FB and Instagram…I beg you. My kids missed out on the hot springs and my all time favorite camping spot because so many folks are coming to the Alvord. It’s still awesome, but it was better when it was full of naked old hippies and cowboys arguing about public lands, but this is this is the story of everywhere…

The snowy mountains in the background are indeed the Steens. Last spring break we took the kids around to the haunts of our youth and I was able to find a route across the alvord up into big sand gap across towards willow creek hot springs. Old maps show the route as the Central Oregon Military Wagon Road. It started in Eugene I believe and originally pushed east to a fort in NV (IIRC it’s Fort McDermitt) it also pushes across present day Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge in South Central Oregon (camp shot photo take here). The road out of big sand gap was fun sorta steep and sandy if only it were longer. It’s a cool spot. The Alvord is full of sprinter vans and 4Runner folks, but if you bring your extra gas the margins on the East side have some great exploring. Just keep it off of FB and Instagram…I beg you. My kids missed out on the hot springs and my all time favorite camping spot because so many folks are coming to the Alvord. It’s still awesome, but it was better when it was full of naked old hippies and cowboys arguing about public lands, but this is this is the story of everywhere…
I stopped in Alvord on my trip to Death Valley a few years back and while freezing cold - trip was planned around DV - it was great and just whetted the appetite for the area. Also a big fan of the area or Oregon that is on Mountain time...I'll just leave it at that. haha. Just need to take the motorcycles next time I head that way.

I stopped in Alvord on my trip to Death Valley a few years back and while freezing cold - trip was planned around DV - it was great and just whetted the appetite for the area. Also a big fan of the area or Oregon that is on Mountain time...I'll just leave it at that. haha. Just need to take the motorcycles next time I head that way.
Motos would be the most fun out there on those tracks!

15341671-F5BE-4BB2-9E09-9C4425584F58.jpeg

Much needed down time…

F3BB02EE-5B49-45E5-B1E8-302912A6FBFD.jpeg
96EFFDAB-FA76-4C96-876B-A1714F8E505C.jpeg
8A5CF3E1-F4E3-40B1-ACDE-15DB659952A9.jpeg

BA38F31A-703C-478D-91A6-C89D73EB1065.jpeg
62B6DE0D-1A2A-457A-9537-7F1308069412.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like something I would have done.

you all out west are very lucky to have access to so much remote and beautiful land. I'm reminded of that every time I try to explore on the east coast.

two weeks ago I went on a trip into Virginia only to get completely shut out. I hit 8 gates, two private property signs, all campgrounds closed. Ended up having to camp in a trail head parking lot

you all out west are very lucky to have access to so much remote and beautiful land. I'm reminded of that every time I try to explore on the east coast.

two weeks ago I went on a trip into Virginia only to get completely shut out. I hit 8 gates, two private property signs, all campgrounds closed. Ended up having to camp in a trail head parking lot
Its true. I don't take it for granted. Public land is one of the greatest things about being an US citizen. its a value I am trying to impart upon my children.

Been there. Lots of things I love about the East coast, but the severely lacking public land isn't one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom