Wheel Bearing quality survey - chime in now! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 80 had Timken bearings in it when I did the axle rebuild when I first bought it. 2 of the races had delamination on the surface. This could have been from being too tight and overheating or perhaps some other abuse, but I switched to Koyo just in case.

Most often bearing spalling is from them banging around, impact damage from running loose.

Most often bearing spalling is from them banging around, impact damage from running loose.

100% true.

I’m lucky enough not to yet find it in my 80, but every pump case I teardown this is what I find. Bearing banging around either due to age, poor lube, or chemical intrusion past the seals.

Oh, and I have Timken & Koyo wrapped box mix.
Whatever @cruiserdan sent me. I just had faith in the Shaman.

Koyo bought Timken’s roller and needle bearing business.

Not to start sn argument, but JTEKT bought the Needle Roller bearing business(formerly Torrington Bearing) from Timken. Timken still makes their own Tapered roller bearings. However, they DO have an agreement with Koyo to share manufacturing of different bearings. Basically one buys the bearing from the other and they are laser marked accordingly. Toyota has separate part numbers for Timken and Koyo bearings with identical dimensions. Both are used and are acceptable.
Timken bearings produced in China, at least when I worked there, were only sold for use in China. They did not trust the quality internally and didn't want them to tarnish the name. Timken bearings made in China were also very clearly marked as "Made in China."

Not to start sn argument, but JTEKT bought the Needle Roller bearing business(formerly Torrington Bearing) from Timken. Timken still makes their own Tapered roller bearings. However, they DO have an agreement with Koyo to share manufacturing of different bearings. Basically one buys the bearing from the other and they are laser marked accordingly. Toyota has separate part numbers for Timken and Koyo bearings with identical dimensions. Both are used and are acceptable.
Timken bearings produced in China, at least when I worked there, were only sold for use in China. They did not trust the quality internally and didn't want them to tarnish the name. Timken bearings made in China were also very clearly marked as "Made in China."

Great info. That kind of consideration for their quality says a lot for Timken. And if both Koyo and Timkin are acceptable with Toyota, I'm good.

Thanks for the clarification!!

But seriously as tools says the originals last forever. .

The caveat is that the greasing must be always maintained. If the greasing isn't maintained, that's when bearings go bad, and/or when spindle bearing surfaces get damaged. At least with the front ones they are replacable. Rear spindles are not (without major surgery).

Greasing inside the swivel hubs protects the kingpin bearings just as much as greasing inside the wheel hubs protects the wheel bearings.

Thanks for all the kind words, we are quite thrilled to offer both genuine Koyo and Timken kits combined with our wheel bearing service parts or knuckle rebuild kits. We buy a large volume of bearings annually from both vendors and thus get flagged by Chinese based manufacturers offering "authentic" Koyo, Timken, NSK, etc bearings at a fraction of the cost. We pass :D

Reactions: RFB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom