What will the a343f handle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I have an LX450 1996 and thinking of doing the Cummings 5.9. What year Cummings 5.9 did you do? Are you happy with it? Any information you can provide be greatly appreciated.

My son was WAY into the 5.9s for a long time. All of his buddies had them way souped up. The 12 valves are much simpler and cheaper to soup up. The were in the Dodge 3/4 tons up until mid 1998. Not sure what the first year was. The 24 valve version CAN be built up for even more power, but it is more expensive, and more complicated.

My son was WAY into the 5.9s for a long time. All of his buddies had them way souped up. The 12 valves are much simpler and cheaper to soup up. The were in the Dodge 3/4 tons up until mid 1998. Not sure what the first year was. The 24 valve version CAN be built up for even more power, but it is more expensive, and more complicated.

Agree. The early 12 valve is one fine engine, modded inexpensively.

Well, I don't have a cummins but I bet I am making 550ft/lbs or better and I have been for over 40,000 miles on a 170,000 mile transmission, not sure how much time it is going to take. lol.

These things take time.......

Well, I don't have a cummins but I bet I am making 550ft/lbs or better and I have been for over 40,000 miles on a 170,000 mile transmission, not sure how much time it is going to take. lol.
At 1600 rpm? 550 right off idle, like my common rail, is different than 550 at 4K rpm or what ever multiple of thousands some engines achieve those torque numbers.

And, actually, I was just ribbing @shocktower.

Yeah mine was at about 2900rpms, I have also heard the 4bt's are worse for transmissions than 6bt's because the torque pulses aren't smooth. So I am sure there are a lot of factors, but doesn't detract from the fact A343 is still going strong when a lot of A440/442's are dying behind similar turbo trucks in Aus.

At 1600 rpm? 550 right off idle, like my common rail, is different than 550 at 4K rpm or what ever multiple of thousands some engines achieve those torque numbers.

And, actually, I was just ribbing @shocktower.

No one believes me but I am a firm supporter that an A343F is stronger than a 440/442. The Aussie turbo guys have all kinds of issues with the 440/442's and are going to expensive valve bodies and built transmissions, but my transgo shift kitted A343 just keeps on going.

Agree, not that the 440/442 is a slouch, but have seen more problems with them than the A343, and have abused them pretty often. I give the reliability/durability edge to the A343.

So I have an LX450 1996 and thinking of doing the Cummings 5.9. What year Cummings 5.9 did you do? Are you happy with it? Any information you can provide be greatly appreciated.

I used the first gen 5.9 out of a 93 Ram has the VE pump in it. Super simple and has been rock solid for me, I did the transgo shift kit and have not looked back. I have not had it hopping like @shocktower has but I have pulled some heavy stuff (stuck semi or two, Mini excavator) and climbed stuff (hills and cars) and never worried about the tranny.

That's really cool that it is holding the power well. Bouncing becomes expensive fast, usually not to a trans but definitely to gear cases down the line haha. I like my A442, but I had zero complaints with the 340 in an old runner I had. When you're making under 300hp there isn't much to worry about besides fitting a nice cooler on there so my concerns with the runner and the cruiser are minimal. I tow regularly with my cruiser and have had zero issues hauling all the way up to the limit up large grades through the PNW and Southwest. Would love more power but I've already decided the only way I'm breaking the 100% bone stock seal is to throw a 3UR-FE in, in which case I think I'd retain the 442.

That 6BT must haul though, ever want taller gears in the axle with all the extra torque to keep the RPM down?

35's or 37's bring the gearing down, I thought about getting 3.54 but I can just use tires instead

Well with the Diesel adapters kit I have a Cummins 6BT strapped to the front of it and it has held up well for over a year.
the stock setup is 190 HP and 400 ft/lbs torque, I put in the new fuel pin which is suppose to give "40hp" and "100ft/lbs torque"
I did put in the trans go kit to get better rail pressure and firmer shifts but that was after fuel pin.

What shift kit and adapter plate did you use?

My 95 1HD-T has an A442F with the PWR and the 2nd Start buttons...I have run it up to 175kph that is 109mph, but usually go up to 110kph

Another reason for me to hate Toyota USA. We never got that version, but in my opinion, you have the best transmission if you have an a442f and 2nd start. Its a great feature when you have low gears and lower t case gears.

Wanted to revive this now that it’s four years later and all our rigs have accumulated more miles, mods and mishaps.

It’s established that both transmissions are strong, but what are we seeing now with failures and repairs?

It’s unfortunate that those of us in the states can’t do a like-for-like test with the a442f by boosting like the OBD-II crowd with the a343f.

As an a442f owner with 192k miles — 75k of which has been on 35s — I have to say I’m impressed with the durability of the a343f (yes, I know I have the a442f). I guess size doesn’t matter (a343f is dimensionally smaller than the a442f).

So, both great transmissions, but do we have any more info to differentiate the two?

Last edited:
My 97 is boosted on 37s with 4.88s. 268xxx on the clock. Bought it with 92000 on it so nearly 200,000 miles for me. I drive it fairly hard everyday. I tow heavy loads offroad often. I shift manually 90% of the time. A343f still works flawlessly. There is a transmission shop next to me. Most of his work is domestic trucks. He has only had to repair ( more than servos) one 442 and NO 343s yet! We have several 80s well over 400,000 miles and the transmissions still work fine.

Last edited:
That’s a solid testimony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom