Builds What the Foo is this??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, it hit the very corner on the inside (toward engine) of the radiator where the fan is not close to. I would guess a rock somehow made it past the steering dampner, past the hoses and brackets, through a running fan blade that would throw the rock back toward the engine, somehow hit the fan blade that tossed it into the radiator, oh and lets not forget it had to make it through the fan shroud.

Damn ninja rocks!

Many thanks to @rockstate45 for the used radiator. Got it all put together and driving again.

I do enjoy Porta power. Not hundred percent, but looks 100% better.
IMG_9156.JPG
IMG_9157.JPG

Lexie could use a little of that kind of love.

really helped to have the jobbox there to push off of. We can figure something out for you. I plan to put some inner armor there while I do the portal work this winter.

Ok.... time for the next step. Planning for the portal conversion is started.

All credit goes to @cjmoon for the actual plan. Thank goodness for the engineering minds of the world!

I have been watching the marshmellow thread from @nukegoat and the always popular @jcardona1 thread and getting their advice.

The overall thought I have is to keep stock mounting points as much as possible, so if I ever want to go back to stock, I can do so easily.

We will be cutting front and rear wheelwells quite a bit. Try to move rear tire back a couple inches while we are at it.

I started looking at the 4wheelunderground products, but with the portal, will only need about 2 inches of lift to get what I want, so that kit will not work. Portals give you about 5" of lift, so not much more needed.

Current plan for suspension. No diminsions yet, this is just the list of parts at this time.

Front axle Lower link plan. Use stock location on frame mount. Use stock Toyota end on frame side that is in a old rear LCA bracket, sleeve this like we do the beefed up Rear LCA. Connect the axle end to a uniball joint? 1" Uniball Joint Complete Kit

Then to attach to the new axle, use Axle Upper Link Mount, Toyota Mini Front Axle 79-85

Front Upper single link. Mount on frame 3 Legged Link Bracket, Zero Degree by the passenger side next to oil pan. Connect to axle with _1" Uniball Joint Complete Kit and the upper toyota mount or some link tabs of your choose. We will be making a truss like on the rear pinion, using the Horizontal Wishbone Bracket mounted on a fabbed up gusset on axle. All standard parts, not metric for this part. The DOM poly bushing kit for the frame side 2 5/8" width is standard i believe that matches the 3 legged link bracket.

For rear lower link we use stock location mount on frame, For mounts on Axle we use same upper toyota mount from the front. I can use stock LCA and lengthen to fit, stock ends on the frame side and the 1" Uniball Joint Complete Kit on the lower 2 links

For rear upper link wishbone, going stock mounts on frame, stock Toyota bushings using old arms, but beefing up substantially. Use 1.25" Rod End Half Set for connecting wishbone to the mount on axle side. For axle side mount, use the Horizontal Wishbone Bracket mounted on a fabbed up gusset on axle to get to center point.

Last edited:
Also should note that we got a set of 39.5" pitbull tires for the project.

Will have to have custom wheels made to match the pattern once I know what backspacing I need.

At this time, not looking at doing disc brake conversion. Too expensive. Will try to see how the stock system works with the 80 master.

Id like to see the proposed geometry with your suggested link locations... i fear in order to get the proper roll axis youll need to raise your lca mounts, but then to get adequate link separation youll have very limited total uptravel before parts of the axle are getting into the engine/track bar crossmember.

How big is the pumpkin on the 303 axle?

Pumpkin is about the same size as toyota.

We are not going for max articulation like spring over rigs can get... but like I said, not the engineer on this or any cruiseship.

Pumpkin is about the same size as toyota.

We are not going for max articulation like spring over rigs can get... but like I said, not the engineer on this or any cruiseship.
Im more referring to uptravel at speed. You may only have a few inches of bump?

Im more referring to uptravel at speed. You may only have a few inches of bump?

high speed dessert style isnt the goal here.

Not everyone lives in so cal ;). Haven't worked out the exact placement yet it will be a few weeks before im able to compete it. Goals of this project are to improve flex and at least keep road manors the same if not improve.

The best can be argued all day long but we'll have to work with what we have this isn't a custom buggy. And it seams crazy to go back with the stock front if all this effort is being made to install portals. A little more effort should make this wiggle much better than stock.

front something like this...
upload_2017-12-7_15-0-14.png

high speed dessert style isnt the goal here.

Not everyone lives in so cal ;). Haven't worked out the exact placement yet it will be a few weeks before im able to compete it. Goals of this project are to improve flex and at least keep road manors the same if not improve.

The best can be argued all day long but we'll have to work with what we have this isn't a custom buggy. And it seams crazy to go back with the stock front if all this effort is being made to install portals. A little more effort should make this wiggle much better than stock.
I don't live in southern california either. But you're not going to enjoy the ride if you only have 2.5" of total uptravel, nor will you enjoy it if you have excessive roll steer.

I think it's totally possible to make this work, btw, but you just really are dealing with inches of discrepancy here.

I
I don't live in southern california either. But you're not going to enjoy the ride if you only have 2.5" of total uptravel, nor will you enjoy it if you have excessive roll steer.

I think it's totally possible to make this work, btw, but you just really are dealing with inches of discrepancy here.
I understand I use to daily my cj-7 3 linked 40's 16" coilovers with 4" of up travel. We'll post up calcs for the Web gods to approve so you sleep better at night.

I

I understand I use to daily my cj-7 3 linked 40's 16" coilovers with 4" of up travel. We'll post up calcs for the Web gods to approve so you sleep better at night.
No, don't bother. Best of luck.

One company did, they stopped, anohter picked them up. Think it was $8k and I am scared of parts availablity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom