What kind of hard top is this?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hi. We all know about the "FJ Company"? I was on their website looking at the before-pictures of their restorations. I found [this one], and the top caught my eye. This couldn't have been a factory top. It's got a third brake light and everything. It is super cool in a weird way. Anybody know who sold these?

That looks like a vehicle from South America or Central America. I believe Toyota sold vehicles there and a third party made the hardtop. There is some information on MUD about it somewhere.

That looks like a vehicle from South America or Central America. I believe Toyota sold vehicles there and a third party made the hardtop. There is some information on MUD about it somewhere.

Yup. South American

Not sure about the top but I'm sure the price tag on the vehicle is at least $500,000. If you want a t-shirt to go with it, sorry, that'll be another $19.95.

Yup. South American
You can see a lot of them in Columbia:

Wrong bezel for a ‘78
They changed it and the roof too:
image_5bbd07e9d53c9_The-FJ-Company-1978-FJ40-Land-Cruiser---Amarillo-Mostaza-285611---Studio_008.jpg

So these are a couple of the link photos if anyone wants to see them without clicking through.

IMG_9305.JPG

IMG_9304.JPG

There were at least two hard top manufacturers in Colombia. This one is a Fivres top. The other manufacturer was MPR. If anyone knows otherwise, please add on but nearly all other the FJ's that arrived in Colombia had no top at the port. I believe this had to do with Toyota receiving favorable tax status on import as with out top they would be viewed as a farm or utility vehicle. Had a top been installed, it would be taxed more like a passenger car. Like when Apple releases a new iPhone, they have lots of aftermarket products ready at release. I would surmise that Toyota was very active in providing these companies with what they needed to succeed in selling the tops. These tops were often installed at the Toyota dealership before the vehicle was even delivered. I have seen at least one of these tops tops that actually had TEQ glass in it. I have likewise seen where bows and a softop were installed by the dealer and installed before delivery.

Some of the tops were double thickness providing additional insulation and are set up to draw air in the front and blow out closeable vents at roof level by the driver, the passenger and the rear seat passengers. Additionally, some of the tops have formed in speaker pods behind the driver and passenger near roof level, so the sound is close to the ears - optimal for driving with the windows open. Really cool stuff. Also, they are generally completely fiberglass, so no rusty rain gutters or mounting flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom