What is with this carburetor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, After watching my dad rebuild a 75 and purchasing a 76 in 2016 I've decided to finally tear into it.

Based on the advice I have seen here the best method appears to be pick a system and go through it.

system 1 the Intake.

the first picture is my carb.

second picture is my dad's carb.

question why do I have that blocked off line and the 75 doesn't?

is it supposed to be connected to something?

also it looks like the right side of my carb barrel isn't getting much use. could this be because it's the wrong carb? modified to work with this engine?

76 FJ 40 Carb.jpg

75 FJ 40 Carb.jpg

FJ40 Carb Make.jpg

There’s a lot to cover here. Plus you definitely just need to open the factory service manual and read what you own.

Very high level…..two different generations of carbs. 40s had close to about 6-7 different variations and you can critique within that but all were two barrel starting in about 68.

Your primary gets the…..primary use. Secondary is only open under full load when the kickup arm hits around 67* and opens the secondary to fill with vacuum and the diaphragm yanks it open the rest of the way.

Your carbs are different because Toyota had to align with emissions requirements so changes were added for evap to vent the float bowl amongst many other changes.

Now go read your FSM for your truck and you’ll find the carb details. Then read the emissions manual. Then do it 3 more times until you understand.

www.CruiserCult.com has a number of manuals loaded for free so you can thank them and the countless others that have scanned them in.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess that your carb was built on January 13 1978. Your blocked off line was probably for some smog gizmo like EGR or somesuch that was used in 78 but not 76.
The clean side of your carb is probably the secondary which isn't opening due to a leaky secondary vacuum diaphragm

I'm going to guess that your carb was built on January 13 1978. Your blocked off line was probably for some smog gizmo like EGR or somesuch that was used in 78 but not 76.
The clean side of your carb is probably the secondary which isn't opening due to a leaky secondary vacuum diaphragm
Thanks I'll look into rebuilding the carb and replacing the diaphragm in the process. looks like mine is a late January 76 Vin 21625 model is a LV-KCJA Engine 067275

There’s a lot to cover here. Plus you definitely just need to open the factory service manual and read what you own.

Very high level…..two different generations of carbs. 40s had close to about 6-7 different variations and you can critique within that but all were two barrel starting in about 68.

Your primary gets the…..primary use. Secondary is only open under full load when the kickup arm hits around 67* and opens the secondary to fill with vacuum and the diaphragm yanks it open the rest of the way.

Your carbs are different because Toyota had to align with emissions requirements so changes were added for evap to vent the float bowl amongst many other changes.

Now go read your FSM for your truck and you’ll find the carb details. Then read the emissions manual. Then do it 3 more times until you understand.

www.CruiserCult.com has a number of manuals loaded for free so you can thank them and the countless others that have scanned them in.
thanks for the cruisercult link ill check out those manuals.

Have you checked out the YouTube videos that @pinhead has made? There's some great info on rebuilding your carb.

Also, as stated above, dive into the service manual and learn what all those parts are for.

Or wheel that rig over to that Toyota shop behind the Big Dipper, if he still has anyone working there that understands how to work on a carb.

@OTRAMM has some great videos also on how to do a basic tune on the OEM carb. Lean drop method.

There is also a swap meet in Belgrade next weekend, check out the Bozo club link.

Thanks I'll look into rebuilding the carb and replacing the diaphragm in the process. looks like mine is a late January 76 Vin 21625 model is a LV-KCJA Engine 067275
Date code on you carb is 8A13 or January 13, 1978 as @Pighead mentioned

@rkymtnflyfisher i watched all 7 of Pinhead0001’s videos on the carb rebuild…thanks for pointing them out. I’d never seen them and they are excellent. Should be required viewing!…one of the most enjoyable 90 minutes on YouTube

@rkymtnflyfisher i watched all 7 of Pinhead0001’s videos on the carb rebuild…thanks for pointing them out. I’d never seen them and they are excellent. Should be required viewing!…one of the most enjoyable 90 minutes on YouTube
Definitely some solid tech gold in those videos.

I wonder what happened to @BuddyIronwood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom