What is the secret to flex.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

084runnerltd

SILVER Star
Threads
I am a self-claimed noob idiot.....my hobby used to be Sportscar...so I never dealt with flex.

Seeing flex pics I get more and more jealous...what is the secret?? Do I need a whole new suspension set up??

Just go to the local mall and find the biggest speed bump. Then drive over it at a 45* angle.

There is no secret.

It costs an absorbent fortune, but it's possible to achieve, shoulder deep in your pocket.

You'll do on your own, since they're aren't any major players that are willing to invest into the 80, but there's others that have paved the way. Seek and ye shall find.

Look up "Hitch Pin Mod", and get long enough shocks to make it worthwhile. And as others have stated, disconnect the front sway bar when wheeling.

Last edited:
I removed the front sway bar and my flex increased but not as much as I wanted. I got 3" longer shocks then the old OME nitro charger shocks that came with my 2.5 Heavy lift and got a LOT more flex. If I ditched out the rubber factory bushing on the frame end of the front control arms for some heims then I could probably get even more flex but the ride would suffer. Make sure you realize that as you increase flex you will probably need longer brake lines. Mine looked like a banjo string when I added longer shocks. They were ready to snap.

They were ready to snap.

Meh.

They won't snap and can be used as limit straps.

image-2965671640.jpg

An obvious joke, before the police come along, and I didn't know until after, when looking at pics.

Flexus. Bahahaha.

image-680058268.jpg

image-724140099.jpg

image-2642268828.jpg

Just because I hadn't posted it in awhile

+ Nothing

image-2965671640.jpg

image-680058268.jpg

image-724140099.jpg

image-2642268828.jpg

I've seen it flex further than that....but the driver's eyes were, well for lack of a better term, wide....

Nov 16-18

Clayton.

I figured it out. Kinda slow today.

Meh.

They won't snap and can be used as limit straps.

An obvious joke, before the police come along, and I didn't know until after, when looking at pics.

Flexus. Bahahaha.

Just because I hadn't posted it in awhile

+ Nothing

Wow nice video

Look up "HitcI believe Sept 18 - 26.h Pin Mod", and get long enough shocks to make it worthwhile. And as others have stated, disconnect the front sway bar when wheeling.

Thanks, checking it out now.

Ok, I have an equally as ignorant question as my original post.

Regarding lifts....other than being able to add larger tires and allow for more flex...there are no other benefits, correct?? (Obviously, there are the negatives, worse gas mileage, worse handling, etc)

Regardless off how high you jack up your vehicle up, your axles (rear sway bar) will always restrain you (regarding clearance), so with the increased height from the lift you can go from say 35" tires to "37," which gives you 2" of gross lift but only 1 inch of axle lift....correct??

I have been considering a lift but I just bought 285/75 duratracs (about 3 weeks ago) so it will be a long time before I upgrade tires. Looking at the "flex" part of it, other than pulling the front sway bar bolt, there is most likely nothing more I will invest into getting greater flex-meaning long travel shocks, etc.

I went "Rock-Crawling" for the first time, (not many rocks around here) and loved it. My lowest clearance areas appeared to be the rear sway bar and the spare-tire. (Next time spare will be in the trunk).

Lastly, I am assuming sliders will be the lowest point, by design, on a vehicle.

So, help me out...will a lift do anything for clearance if I keep my tires??

Thanks In Advance!

The biggest issue I have is high centering the truck. That is basically do to the length and the frame height. Adding lift goes a long way in dealing with that issue.

As far as handling goes, done properly the truck should handle just fine. Take the time to address all the issues associated with lifting the truck and then select a good shock/springs and it will perform as good on road as any stock truck possibly better when considering the extra weight you will likely be carrying.

I didn't do much to my 80 and the flex isn't too bad. Castor correction up front. Running Bilstien remote res 7100's all around.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom