What is the largest tire I can fit with no lift? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At work right now and dont have time to go out and measure, does anyone know if a 285 65 18 will fit underneath as a spare?

It'll fit. Running 285/65/r18 KO2's.

IMG_0866.jpg

Why use spacers on 255/85 16's, cosmetic or technical reasons?
Is it true that spacers put an extra load on wheel bearings?
I believe it's mainly cosmetic. Same basic reason for those who use them after lifting their IFS -- It's to bring the tires back outward to be more flush with the body panels since 255s are visually narrow and lifting IFS will locate the tires inward slightly.

Yes wheel spacers can put more load on bearings - more distance away from the bearing = more leverage on it.

Well I have to say...315/75r16 , this pic is with the suspension in H position, but even in the N no rub, no nothing..View attachment 1556807

I have a 98 LC (none of that fancy-shamachy AHC stuff :)) I'm running BFG 35" MT's on 17" wheels. I have 2.5" suspension lift, diff drop, control arms. In order to get full suspension travel, I had to make my own 1.75" body lift also. And I had to use my baby sledge hammer to pound down the welded seam on the back side of the front fenders (by the front doors).

Now, the metric conversion of your tire of 315/75-16 equates out to 34.6" (very close to mine). So I have to ask, have you taken your rig any place where you can ring out your suspension with full articulation (or close to full) and lock-to-lock steering?

My setup was fine with just the 2.5" suspension lift before making the body lift while just driving on the street, but not when off-roading. That's when I'd get severe rubbing on the front tires.

I have a 98 LC (none of that fancy-shamachy AHC stuff :)) I'm running BFG 35" MT's on 17" wheels. I have 2.5" suspension lift, diff drop, control arms. In order to get full suspension travel, I had to make my own 1.75" body lift also. And I had to use my baby sledge hammer to pound down the welded seam on the back side of the front fenders (by the front doors).

Now, the metric conversion of your tire of 315/75-16 equates out to 34.6" (very close to mine). So I have to ask, have you taken your rig any place where you can ring out your suspension with full articulation (or close to full) and lock-to-lock steering?

My setup was fine with just the 2.5" suspension lift before making the body lift while just driving on the street, but not when off-roading. That's when I'd get severe rubbing on the front tires.

Light trails, without the suspension up..still no rubbing!

Thread re-start. I have a 1998 100 Series VX Ltd (Diesel, 1HDFTE). I have just bought a set of Maxxis AT980's in 285/75r16, on 0p offset and I get a lot of rub on the front. Truck is 100% stock. Any advice?

Thread re-start. I have a 1998 100 Series VX Ltd (Diesel, 1HDFTE). I have just bought a set of Maxxis AT980's in 285/75r16, on 0p offset and I get a lot of rub on the front. Truck is 100% stock. Any advice?
The 0 offset in the wheels is your problem. The factory wheels are 60mm offset. The lower the offset #, the further out they stick and that's when you get your rub. Did I read your wheels correct on your posting at 0 offset ?

Some of this tire information is hard to decipher. I have a 2005 LX470. looking at installing the Old Man Emu 2 1/2 lift with dif drop and LC torsion bars. Does anyone have this set-up with 285/75/18's?

Some of this tire information is hard to decipher. I have a 2005 LX470. looking at installing the Old Man Emu 2 1/2 lift with dif drop and LC torsion bars. Does anyone have this set-up with 285/75/18's?
You shouldn't have much issue with clearance with that tire except maybe a little pinch weld trimming. I would think you won't be able to run anything much beyond the OEM 60mm offset wheel, as this will get you into trouble with rubbing as the further out the tire/wheel is, the closer it will get to the body/bumper when turning. Also keep in mind, regardless of how much lift you add, your suspension still cycles to full compression just as a stock vehicle does. Not saying YOU, but so many people think bigger lift = bigger tire. Not the case unless you limit your compression travel with larger bump stops, then you're messing with ride quality. Hope this helps.

I ran 275/70R18.

Yes, 275/70R18 will fit, no rub at turn, no rub at full stuff. Might get a little benign rubbing at the inside of the rear fender well in the rear a full stuff.

Suspension lift does not affect your ability to fit tires.
I want to get the Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15 tires in this size 275/70R18. I had the original rims sandblasted and painted black. But my worry would be if the spare tire would fit in the OEM place under the car.

Anybody has experience with this?

Looking to order General Grabber ATx in 285/75/16 today but giving 295/75/16 some thought. Will i be good with the 1.5" lift i have? Will acceleration be affected? I plan to tow a 3500 lb camper in the future. Should i just stick with 285's?

Looking to order General Grabber ATx in 285/75/16 today but giving 295/75/16 some thought. Will i be good with the 1.5" lift i have? Will acceleration be affected? I plan to tow a 3500 lb camper in the future. Should i just stick with 285's?
295s will fit at stock height so if your running oem 16" wheel offset you should be perfect.

I can't imagine that from a seat of the pants position you'd notice any significant difference between 285 & 295.

As always - just one guys opinion. Post some pics when you get them.

I've looked at the 285/75R16 and 295/75R16 KO2's, side by side and the difference in appearance is significant. The section width is 10mm wider at the sidewall but the tread width is 15mm wider... giving the tire, a more squared off look. 1/2" taller and 4 lbs heavier per tire as well. I like the idea of 295's and then running a 255/85R16 spare with the spare tire lift mod.

BFG.jpg

Thanks. I’m ordering on Discount Tire Direct on EBay but I don’t see a 295. I’ll try to contact the seller.

And yes I’m running stock rims.

Well I have to say...315/75r16 , this pic is with the suspension in H position, but even in the N no rub, no nothing..
Is your truck lifted or any modification other than the tire?

I just installed a set of Rock Warriors with 285/70R17 on a stock LX470 (+ Slee 1.25" spacers up front). As others have mentioned, I am getting a slight rub at the rear of the front fender well when turning sharp (will be sorting that out with a heat gun ASAP). However, I also got a pretty good rub at the top when I hit a dip going 30ish, which tells me it's going to rub there when I flex offroad.

@JayM mentioned pushing up to flatten this out earlier in this thread (#170), but I'm not sure if this is enough to remedy this rub at 12 o'clock.

How are people handling rubbing at the 12 o'clock position? Would a slee diff drop help at all with this, or will that only help with the CV angles?

I'm looking into the AHC Lift as detailed in this thread AHC Sensor Adjustment for Lift but have read elsewhere that installing a lift does nothing to improve tire clearance on a vehicle with IFS. (If this is true, the only benefit I can see with a lift in terms of solving this issue is that I'd have to hit one helluva bump to make it compress enough to get the 12 o'clock rub.)

Anyone have insight they'd like to share on this?

I just installed a set of Rock Warriors with 285/70R17 on a stock LX470 (+ Slee 1.25" spacers up front). As others have mentioned, I am getting a slight rub at the rear of the front fender well when turning sharp (will be sorting that out with a heat gun ASAP). However, I also got a pretty good rub at the top when I hit a dip going 30ish, which tells me it's going to rub there when I flex offroad.

@JayM mentioned pushing up to flatten this out earlier in this thread (#170), but I'm not sure if this is enough to remedy this rub at 12 o'clock.

How are people handling rubbing at the 12 o'clock position? Would a slee diff drop help at all with this, or will that only help with the CV angles?

I'm looking into the AHC Lift as detailed in this thread AHC Sensor Adjustment for Lift but have read elsewhere that installing a lift does nothing to improve tire clearance on a vehicle with IFS. (If this is true, the only benefit I can see with a lift in terms of solving this issue is that I'd have to hit one helluva bump to make it compress enough to get the 12 o'clock rub.)

Anyone have insight they'd like to share on this?

Running 295/70/18, 34.29" stock wheels. Prior to AHC Sensor lift, I would hit the top of fender liner on only the harshest bump. Full lock I would get rub. After AHC lift I would only get full lock rub in L. No issues at its new normal height. Have not done full articulation yet. You could get better results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom