What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I heard that they finally opened the forest road. I thought that it was kinda silly, not recalling the kind of topography. It must have been a decade, or two, since I've been there, I can't remember. Things get strange, only thirty-five minutes from home. Well worth the two-plus years it took to be driving a driveable FJ40, again. Life is nice in low-range.

20210411_184716.jpg

20210411_191431contrast.jpg

Hearing the wind create a resonate in a long-needled ponderosa forest, enjoying some straight-cut gear whirl, and coming home smelling like fumes off of a 2F block is my present reminder that the LCD screen is tele-prison. Say I'm crazy, but, I can't think of any real examples of people escaping.

20210411_191551.jpg

Installed a pair of new AGM batteries and hopefully diagnosed the problem with my transmission. Now to order some parts and get messy...

Noticed my right ambulance door had some play in it. Discovered the a PO cut some material out of the original catch which is on the left door. The amount of metal removed was directly proportional to the amount of play in the door. Go figure. No idea why It was done.
Ordered one from India...problem solved.
3E1648CE-A298-42D8-A74D-DA10FEC30F1B.jpeg
43BC8CF0-10AD-4EDD-B7D6-A0618F819CE2.jpeg

I finished building my wife some new garden beds, so I started a knuckle rebuild.... All of this was done in 1990 when the PO started the resto but figured I’d have a look; especially with all the cakes on oily sawdust on the pass knuckle. Glad I did. Looks like the drivers side just had whatever grease added they had on hand without even cleaning out the old grease. The passenger side inner axle seal is leaking gear oil past and into the Birfield cavity. At least I’m figuring it out now and not after I think I’m all done.
CF0ECCF4-6672-4AA7-9368-CA8742BCE926.jpeg

Got home and introduced my "older" Cruiser and my "new to me" Cruiser - I'm sure the conversation was something like this.....

So let me tell you about our Mother Country and all that's changed since you left in 1978 - or - Wow, 2016 you say? What's with all those fancy gadgets, GPS and "Crawl Control"? Back in my day gravity and front disc brakes were all we needed for "crawl control". What exactly are "coil springs"?

(Can you imagine a LC200 in 653, that's a lot of Baby Poo Brown/Olive)

20210412_140506_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Got home and introduced my "older" Cruiser and my "new to me" Cruiser - I'm sure the conversation was something like this.....

So let me tell you about our Mother Country and all that's changed since you left in 1978 - or - Wow, 2016 you say? What's with all those fancy gadgets, GPS and "Crawl Control"? Back in my day gravity and front disc brakes were all we needed for "crawl control". What exactly are "coil springs"?

(Can you imagine a LC200 in 653, that's a lot of Baby Poo Brown/Olive)

View attachment 2643764
Any pics of the bracket=I need to make some!

I heard that they finally opened the forest road. I thought that it was kinda silly, not recalling the kind of topography. It must have been a decade, or two, since I've been there, I can't remember. Things get strange, only thirty-five minutes from home. Well worth the two-plus years it took to be driving a driveable FJ40, again. Life is nice in low-range.

View attachment 2642815

View attachment 2642816

Hearing the wind create a resonate in a long-needled ponderosa forest, enjoying some straight-cut gear whirl, and coming home smelling like fumes off of a 2F block is my present reminder that the LCD screen is tele-prison. Say I'm crazy, but, I can't think of any real examples of people escaping.

View attachment 2642817
Ah, the good life in low range......thanks for sharing👍

This weekend I made it out to Hollister Hills with a Cousin and buddy in the FJ40. Had very few issues. It popped out of 4Lo a couple times. But not that bad. Think I pretty much foxed that with the shifting mechanism. Washers effect it. Put the tire pressure down to 8psi and that thing just walks its way over pretty much anything I point it at.

959C939E-366D-41AD-BB88-222DC58E3D5A.jpeg

6520E230-635D-4EE3-8AEF-170F32DBED10.jpeg

BF9611A1-7E43-4E36-99C5-48C6F141916A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom