What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (53 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drove it home for the first time in several years and discovered it won't fit into the garage.

Yfq0Hi4o-bAJT4U6kJYdCkvV2M4p5BdQtnhYprEemmoI_xeT61JPjMJvU6a0aNmt0pQ9yMMHZCdq61JdJVQE_lAeTn7wDTq_eOQUxVXkRFzeDgPfEwW6ywkkadgw-mT2VQg-NAWTCtLGib46-RWGcXEQcm1HxCACOL80iHOmuwhiChoKUCK1NHueKgQDrNRsfHpxNKBxqafSk8GRaTJ4_ZimVJ9D_XiVu4D4dvyBURdPjRbFTkn59EeRpUTrRYlb1raj3jCdKp8MapP5x1VL5hL1JyHGm5xZOR0f-Tgm3M2BjRNXIM7EUIB_zh7sYB8yWIzGOoMlNXzph3iO5fpIXLO3Om6NEsvueyON3ziJdyhtsTKLftk2cpAF9vqqFgOdGnjB-HqKpJCbMoQ7g0TppJ-Qcba3u2pmyKLApOJQVAEGa7_beH47VzpN-UR8zHtTICWz654sTKN1hBglOJk2VtRPYCyO317FlKbSkMvCpvS3ox5-nDh8s9wFDJ8tKfZl_bvzHQC7AAJLoNOINx4_p6tcwa_GiesJf0CahqFi6ZOHdNowjZ4dMWQ2AR2PQtpylofxymIOgve3VvAJK1Op3CsTrpBZgkRo6dY1qgKWBrxUlNX8=w1118-h838-no

I guess it's time for a new house.:D:bounce:

Surely it didn't fit last time you drove it either.... ;)

Housing deflation ? We've got it on this side of the country as well... :)

I guess it's time for a new house.:D:bounce:

Haha, yes, well, we've moved a few times since it was last in my hands. Damn California garages, though.

My master plan to park the truck in the garage and fiddle with the squeezing of our two main cars in the driveway has crashed and burned. Now I'm on the hunt for a new parking option that keeps it close so I can keep fiddling with the truck.

Haha, yes, well, we've moved a few times since it was last in my hands. Damn California garages, though.

My master plan to park the truck in the garage and fiddle with the squeezing of our two main cars in the driveway has crashed and burned. Now I'm on the hunt for a new parking option that keeps it close so I can keep fiddling with the truck.

Remove the cage (Edit: and bows) ? Looks like it might fit... May have to air down.

Remove the cage (Edit: and bows) ? Looks like it might fit... May have to air down.

Air down? I'll probably want to do an OBA install if I'll have to do that regularly, right?:grinpimp:

Very cool rig.. What is that side access door?

It is the "Radio Battery Compartment" according to the modification documents I've found from the Australian Army. There is one on each side of the truck. This was originally an Army communications truck, and I believe that all of the comms were powered by batteries in those compartments.

Many of the original Australian Army modifications have been removed, first by a PO, and most recently by me following the accident I was in. Now I'm just looking to get things into shape where I can put the top on and have it as a fun driver.

Drop it off at my house with the pink slip. You can come visit it anytime you like!

Dyno

Threw in a new battery and fired it up:)
Purrs like a kitten.
Let it get to temp and now it's cooling for a re-torque!
Valve cover is soaking in the new parts washer, 40 years of burnt on grime needs removal.
Kids are now home so further work is postponed.
We have some wiring to clean up around the battery area next.......

No... just leave it aired down ;)

I thought you were just trying to get it in there... sounds like you are actually hoping to drive it. :rolleyes:

Yep, I drove it home from the DMV yesterday with brand new plates and a salvage title. All of the powertrain is in good nick now that I've just had the radiator redone.

+1 on the suggestion to pull the soft top bows and roll bar. That roll bar looks taller than usual - must be since it's taller than the bows. I'm guessing if you went with something closer to the OEM roll bar that would fit.

Drop it off at my house with the pink slip. You can come visit it anytime you like!

Dyno

Mud is such a caring, giving community!

+1 on the suggestion to pull the soft top bows and roll bar. That roll bar looks taller than usual - must be since it's taller than the bows. I'm guessing if you went with something closer to the OEM roll bar that would fit.

An option I'd never previously considered, though I'm not sure why I hadn't. Do the OEM roll bars have fastening points for shoulder belts or were the 3-point belts only ever attached to the hard top?

I was thinking if I used an FJ40 rollbar.

I'm no roll bar expert, but that looks homemade to me... It looks too tall, compared to what the dab would look like with a top...band too tall for the bows...

Can you pull it off and shorten it enough to get in and out of the garage?

May have to duck in a rollover :cool:

I was thinking if I used an FJ40 rollbar.

Factory 40 rollbars bolt together, and yours looks welded. On the factory roll bar you bolt the top of the three point seatbelt onto the bolt that holds the rollbar together.

This post may help:
top off seat belt ?

I think the factory rollbar is slightly taller than the windshield - so from your photo it looks like you might still have a problem if that's the direction you're headed.

I'm no roll bar expert, but that looks homemade to me... It looks too tall, compared to what the dab would look like with a top...band too tall for the bows...

Can you pull it off and shorten it enough to get in and out of the garage?

May have to duck in a rollover :cool:

It is definitely not stock, but was custom-built by the army. If you need directions on how to build your own, they are available online. (I assume the guy who has put those docs online is a Mud member, but I couldn't figure out what his handle is. If anybody knows Shane, please let him know that it was an incredible service he did posting that whole series of documents. Lots of great reading there for us owners of ex-Army HJ47s!

Factory 40 rollbars bolt together, and yours looks welded. On the factory roll bar you bolt the top of the three point seatbelt onto the bolt that holds the rollbar together.

This post may help:
top off seat belt ?

I think the factory rollbar is slightly taller than the windshield - so from your photo it looks like you might still have a problem if that's the direction you're headed.

That is a great thread and very helpful, thank you!

Pulled plugs, cleaned and checked gap, dressed and adjusted points, timed the engine, cleaned PCV valve, cleaned fuel filter (I have one of those glass ones) checked all fluid levels. I even washed it! I feel like I could drive this thing to the moon and back!:hillbilly:

Got up this morning to do some electrical cleanup, I'd love to gut the electrical and start again but that's not in the cards this season. Removed an old winch relay module and shortened the starter cables as well as added new battery terminals. Couldn't find a pair of wire cutters to save my life (we have 2-3 pairs, I suspect all have migrated to camp).
Off to the cabin this weekend for Thanksgiving (Canada). Happy Thanksgiving to anyone in Canada!
And enjoy the weekend to everyone else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom