What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How do your trucks hold up down there on your roads and conditions?
The older one is pretty worn out after 478K km. The main issue has been that it is extremely heavily loaded, and it has actually worn out the body mounts moreso than the suspension components. This is an agricultural service vehicle, so does a lot of kms on dirt/gravel/clay roads at high speed, but other than the sandblasting effect on the underside, it's still in pretty decent condition on all the driveline components. Being that we're still on the factory original turbos and injectors, my guess is it's not far away from a major dollar overhaul. I was looking at buying it off the company for a sweetheart deal, but I have already rebulit one of these motors and have no desire (or money) to do another anytime soon....

The older one is pretty worn out after 478K km. The main issue has been that it is extremely heavily loaded, and it has actually worn out the body mounts moreso than the suspension components. This is an agricultural service vehicle, so does a lot of kms on dirt/gravel/clay roads at high speed, but other than the sandblasting effect on the underside, it's still in pretty decent condition on all the driveline components. Being that we're still on the factory original turbos and injectors, my guess is it's not far away from a major dollar overhaul. I was looking at buying it off the company for a sweetheart deal, but I have already rebulit one of these motors and have no desire (or money) to do another anytime soon....
That’s amazing. have the mounts experienced metal fatigue/failure or worn out rubber isolators?

Is suspension the only thing affected by extra weight?

New springs and shocks are only part of the equation. What about all of the suspension components (control arms, spindles) and their bushings? What about steering components? What about the braking system? What about body mounts (not just the rubber parts, but the actual steel perches)? What about the actual frame and additional torsion and stress? What about the drivetrain?

Just because our federal and state safety regulations don't keep tabs on personal vehicle weights after their, sold doesn't mean that we can ignore it.

Here's some additional info.

This is helpful, too, even if geared toward Aussies: GVM Upgrades | ARB Old Man Emu 4X4 Suspension - https://oldmanemu.com.au/products/gvm-upgrades/

A good follow-up question to them would be: how are GVM upgrades different from just new shocks and springs?

It's good to see a max GVM upgrade that they can provide a 2015+ LC 200 as 4015 kg (8850 lbs), but if I was the fella at 8,600 lbs I'd want to know what else I'd need to do to keep my vehicle safe at those weights.

Last edited:
Just wrapped up a 2,975 mile road trip from Virginia to eastern Idaho in our 2013 CruiserView attachment 3047057View attachment 3047058View attachment 3047059View attachment 3047060

. Lots of great stops on the way. Corn palace ;) ,Custer’s state park, devils tower, and then Yellowstone was still closed so back out of Cody, through ten sleep and looked for some wild horses. No luck, but did find a lot of sheep. Great trip - don’t put it off.

Headed out in this area with the family in a few weeks. Cannot wait

Is suspension the only thing affected by extra weight?

New springs and shocks are only part of the equation. What about all of the suspension components (control arms, spindles) and their bushings? What about steering components? What about the braking system? What about body mounts (not just the rubber parts, but the actual steel perches)? What about the actual frame and additional torsion and stress? What about the drivetrain?

Just because our federal and state safety regulations don't keep tabs on personal vehicle weights after their, sold doesn't mean that we can ignore it.

Here's some additional info.

This is helpful, too, even if geared toward Aussies: GVM Upgrades | ARB Old Man Emu 4X4 Suspension - https://oldmanemu.com.au/products/gvm-upgrades/

A good follow-up question to them would be: how are GVM upgrades different from just new shocks and springs?

It's good to see a max GVM upgrade that they can provide a 2015+ LC 200 as 4015 kg (8850 lbs), but if I was the fella at 8,600 lbs I'd want to know what else I'd need to do to keep my vehicle safe at those weights.

Yeah, thanks - seems that upgraded suspension components do in fact increase the weight that a vehicle can safely carry.

Ceramic tint on every window, ceramic coated paint and a set of TRD wheels.... On deck - roof rack, finish blacking out all the chrome, level kit and slightly bigger tires.
B7C3986B-710D-4092-90C7-7D99651B5A53.jpeg

Went to go pick up a radiator at the Toyota parts dept, inspected before taking it. Little crack that my fingernail fits into down at the bottom hose connector. They ordered another that should arrive tomorrow.

Always inspect your new radiator before accepting it.

20220701_130705.jpg

Went to go pick up a radiator at the Toyota parts dept, inspected before taking it. Little crack that my fingernail fits into down at the bottom hose connector. They ordered another that should arrive tomorrow.

View attachment 3047566

You already need a new radiator on a 2018 with the updated design?

You already need a new radiator on a 2018 with the updated design?
My LC was manufactured in February 2018, a few months before the new radiator design started being used ☹️

Mine started developing the faint line along the crease the past month or so (only barely noticable at this point). Will hit 80,000 miles in the next few days.

My LC was manufactured in February 2018, a few months before the new radiator design started being used ☹️

Mine started developing the faint line along the crease the past month or so (only barely noticable at this point). Will hit 80,000 miles in the next few days.

Nice mileage, looks like you're using it. We just passed 35K on ours in 19 months, just stacking them on.

Thanks - good suggestion. My old rollers were scratched and rusted. Should I replace with steel rollers or poly rollers I see available for this scenario? I’ll stick with Warn’s OEM rollers unless there’s a better recommendation.
I'd run it with fresh new steel rollers. Any rust, or knicks/marring on the rollers from previous use with steel cable will quickly wreck a nice synthetic winch line. I'm pretty sure Daystar makes and sells replacement poly rollers, but I wouldn't waste my time.

View attachment 3047566

Looks like that isn't a crack after all, but a scratch that's always present from the assembly process. It was a much smaller abrasion on the 2nd one they ordered, though, so the first one just looked a lot like a legit crack.

This was at AutoNation Toyota South Austin. They were really good to deal with.

That’s amazing. have the mounts experienced metal fatigue/failure or worn out rubber isolators?
Isolators - when cornering to the left, if I hit a bump on the RHS I can feel a direct metal-on-body thump just under my right foot (RHD vehicle obviously). Now that I have taken all the equipment out of it it isn't as noticeable, but if I start violently shaking the steering wheel while in motion, you can feel a bit of a drunken sway of the body moving out of sync with the frame. Of all the things that I could wear out, that wasn't the first one that came to mind but also makes plenty of sense...

I finished fitting 37s. The dangling heim is because UPS can’t seem to deliver safety washers on time, so my sway bar end links aren’t done. This is in normal, I don’t have any sensor lift.

7DD73F20-6BCA-438C-BC9E-E8187F61D099.jpeg
9A8110B6-3F07-4BE5-A75A-8F5503DD8BCA.jpeg

^although not nearly as exciting or noteworthy, I recently sourced a spare wheel in great condition (basically new) from a ‘18 LC recently via eBay. Yesterday, had a matching spare tire mounted at Tire Rack in South Bend. The old 31” OE spare tire prolly wouldn’t work well with the upsized 33” Grabbers - something about differentials not liking different sized tires. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also had other tires rebalanced to resolve the minor shimmy in the steering wheel.

In doing so, made the truck look small - parking next to a Ram 2500 quad cab with an 8’ bed will do that.

General Grabber ATX 275/70R18 SL. It fits in spare tire storage location just fine without modification.

C5460745-C42A-442E-A0CF-9BD9304238AB.jpeg

New spare tire dangling so tech could program TPMS sensor.
E0744037-6DEC-4D47-A171-32D3CB9719F9.jpeg

Added some Baja Design fog lights like many on Mud have already done. Thanks for the lights @SEAWOLF

It would be great if BD had a fit kit for the 200 but this Taco/4Runner kit fits good enough. I'm sure a 3D printer guru could figure something out but for now the aluminum shrouds will do.
B2907F5A-5D47-4ED9-84FF-27993677EDB1.jpeg
E0C57E55-2319-4FC0-9DC7-BAC6DA5C701D.jpeg
7C217A53-044E-4FC7-AD0D-43954928BC8F.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom