What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Take some pics! I assume the PCV was easy peasy?

The 2UZ has a reputation for slowly backing out the plugs. Were they all in there snug or did some feel quite loose?

PCV is right on top at the front of the engine. Hose pulled off easily, and the PCV was easy to access with a 23mm (IIRC?) deep socket. Only annoyance was the foam insulation wrapped around the PCV. I tore it a bit when pulling it aside. The PCV is plastic and is not in there very tight at all, unlike the metal PCV on the 4.7. Basically, cheap and super easy to change it, and I'd recommend everyone change it out regularly.

I'll probably make a video for the valve cover job. Plugs were in there good and tight.

Replaced the original spark plugs at 175k. The stockers didn't look too bad either! The plug tubes were dry, but there was some reddish residue (dry) and some pitting on the coils themselves. Don't know if they've been arcing? All 8 had similar markings. Cylinder #1 coil even has a vertical crack in it? New OEM plugs, and reused all 8 original coils. It runs smooth.
2001.jpg
2004.jpg

Changed the oil with an OEM filter, and Wal Mart house brand high mileage synthetic 0w20. This stuff is ~$15 for a 5-qt jug. Cheap!
2007.jpg

Removed my plastic heater tees and replaced them with Dorman metal units with Breeze constant tension clamps. One plastic tee had a piece missing that I'm fairly sure was knocked loose by me during removal. I was not rough with them though, so I do think they are brittle. The small piece of the stock tee may be circulating in my cooling system right now... but I'm sure the 5.7l blender has made a margarita of it by now.
2003.jpg
2008.jpg

Friday I received a replacement BP-51 for the passenger side of my truck. Sunday morning we put the unit in, about 2 hours worth of work. The replacement of both BP-51s has eliminated the creaking noises from the front suspension. The lower mounting joint was shot on both shocks. To ARB's credit they replaced both under warranty. They have been very good to work with. Sometimes a little slow but the overall experience was good.

I had creaking recently, but after greasing via the upper control arm zero fitting...and then driving a couple days...all creaking is gone.

I had creaking recently, but after greasing via the upper control arm zero fitting...and then driving a couple days...all creaking is gone.
Markuson,

I went through a few steps before I go to replacing the BP-51s.

UCA
I have the SPC UCAs. I started with replacing the UCA bushings, I followed the install instructions when replacing them. This eliminated the creaking for the 200 foot roll out of the drive way. Next step was to replace the ball joints in the UCA. I replaced them with the version with a grease fitting. Ball Joints This also stopped the creaking for the roll out of the drive way.

More Trouble Shooting
Dad helps me when the trouble shooting is a two man job. By this point I have sprayed everything down with silicone and white lithium. Step 1: wipe everything off. :doh:. Step two: Shake the truck.....We were bouncing the truck trying to isolate where the creaking was coming from. Dad put his hand on the lower part of the shock and could feel the creaking we were hearing. On the advice of Brian at ARB I blew out the fitting at the bottom with compressed air. This had a noticeable effect on the creaking. But it returned in about 2 days. In the end ARB warrantied both of the front shocks. :cheers::clap:

Now I just need to get lined up........she drives like a pig until tomorrow.

Hit a deer with it. :doh:

Not bad, deer limped away. Just busted a headlamp washer, dented in the bumper corner, and cracked the bumper cover. 5 seconds with the heat gun and the dent popped out easily. $130 for the OE headlamp washer parts on Partsouq. I believe I can fix the bumper crack to about 90% with some plastic epoxy, heat, and touch up paint. I was lucky not to suffer any damage to sheet metal or the headlamp. I captured the incident on my dashcam but have less than zero interest in watching it again after experiencing it in real life. :poop:

Also wired in a 12v plug on the rear side of the console for the 2nd row, changed the serpentine belt, added a tow wiring harness, swapped the coolant, and replaced spark plug tube seals and valve cover gaskets.

Hit a deer with it. :doh:

Not bad, deer limped away. Just busted a headlamp washer, dented in the bumper corner, and cracked the bumper cover. 5 seconds with the heat gun and the dent popped out easily. $130 for the OE headlamp washer parts on Partsouq. I believe I can fix the bumper crack to about 90% with some plastic epoxy, heat, and touch up paint. I was lucky not to suffer any damage to sheet metal or the headlamp. I captured the incident on my dashcam but have less than zero interest in watching it again after experiencing it in real life. :poop:

Also wired in a 12v plug on the rear side of the console for the 2nd row, changed the serpentine belt, added a tow wiring harness, swapped the coolant, and replaced spark plug tube seals and valve cover gaskets.

Wish I'd seen this. I have my headlight washers from my bumper upgrade. If anyone needs a set PM me. The covers are Gold so for most people they would need to be painted or if you're lucky you could swap your old covers over, but the washer assemblies are intact

Wish I'd seen this. I have my headlight washers from my bumper upgrade. If anyone needs a set PM me. The covers are Gold so for most people they would need to be painted or if you're lucky you could swap your old covers over, but the washer assemblies are intact

The covers/nozzles are cheap, but the pop-up sprayer mechanism is absurdly priced (approaching $200 at the Toyota dealer). There are Chinese alternatives for $50 but I ain't putting generic Chinese parts on my truck - even if I've never used a headlamp washer once in my entire life.

Used OE (like yours) would be an ideal value. Thanks for the thought! :cheers:

Last edited:
New tires. 285/60/20 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT

AA009884-89B1-4D85-BB2D-127B34B621E8.jpeg

Replaced the original spark plugs at 175k. The stockers didn't look too bad either! The plug tubes were dry, but there was some reddish residue (dry) and some pitting on the coils themselves. Don't know if they've been arcing? All 8 had similar markings. Cylinder #1 coil even has a vertical crack in it? New OEM plugs, and reused all 8 original coils. It runs smooth.
View attachment 1798307 View attachment 1798309

Changed the oil with an OEM filter, and Wal Mart house brand high mileage synthetic 0w20. This stuff is ~$15 for a 5-qt jug. Cheap!
View attachment 1798310

Removed my plastic heater tees and replaced them with Dorman metal units with Breeze constant tension clamps. One plastic tee had a piece missing that I'm fairly sure was knocked loose by me during removal. I was not rough with them though, so I do think they are brittle. The small piece of the stock tee may be circulating in my cooling system right now... but I'm sure the 5.7l blender has made a margarita of it by now.
View attachment 1798312 View attachment 1798311
@bryson, HM oils use a petroleum base seal modifier. According to Mobil 1, use HM for two oil changes and must then use for life of engine. This is like crack to your seals. I'd flush it!

Crack in coil generally signal pending failure.

Just saying;)

Fixed some very slight rubbing on the right wheel well liner after installing the new tires. It only happened when at full lock turning right and backing up an incline.

This is the right size and type of tire for the LC. Major improvement vs. the stock Dunlops.

946D54DA-EEBD-4441-BFBD-930462EC5DF1.jpeg

B2E34BAF-3F0A-43FD-B679-D8877D595757.jpeg

Went to Big Bear and did Heart Break Ridge trail. The GO PRO video had a lot of squeaking, so I greased the TC UCA's the next day. Hopefully just the crunching of rocks and engine noise next time.

Heart Brk just about to get stuck.JPG

Where were those pictures taken?

Looks like the Alabama Hills, near Lone Pine, CA. The first shot is sort of the archetypal photo of the Eastern Sierras from there and the rocks in the third photo confirm it. Nice trip up I5-14-395 for you! (I grew up in SoCal and my folks have a place in Tahoe, so I've driven up 395 more times than any person should have to!)

And I grew up in NJ with grandparents in brooklyn and college in Long Island, so I have traveled the cross bronx expressway more times than anyone should. (sort of close to your neck of the woods)

@dryrunner Indeed! I’m mostly a Sawmill Parkway and Taconic Parkway driver, but not far at all. Not much scenery like that here in northern Westchester though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom