What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slee stainless steel brake lines, went in pretty easy, took about 2 hours.
PXL_20221203_183748622.jpg
PXL_20221203_183707803.jpg
PXL_20221203_183731417.jpg

Removed the roof rails and attached a Kings (essentially a re-badged Yakima) aluminium platform roof rack. Used a grinder cutting disc + Dremel to insert a gap in the black aluminium trim. I remember my 100 series had plastic inserts - the full length trim with the LX470 is a lot stronger and a better fit.

Also attached some recovery points. My boilermaker mate wasn't happy with the M14 threads, so drilled and tapped them to M16. He then had the Milwaukee Fuel Impact Drill + Locktite blue and "uggered" them to a vast number of newton metres.

.trashed-1672802174-IMG20221205124004[1].jpg

.trashed-1671790945-IMG20221123202209[1].jpg

Put LED reverse bulbs in yesterday but haven’t driven at night yet. I used the same brand in a Yukon XL I used to have and they were really bright. Also diagnosed the front end clunk, blown out RF lower shock bushing. Now I’m trying to decide which cheap shocks to get that will get me by till I can afford a full lift.

Put LED reverse bulbs in yesterday but haven’t driven at night yet. I used the same brand in a Yukon XL I used to have and they were really bright. Also diagnosed the front end clunk, blown out RF lower shock bushing. Now I’m trying to decide which cheap shocks to get that will get me by till I can afford a full lift.
Toyota OEM shocks are very reasonably priced ($100 for a pair) - recommended to replace in pairs

Toyota OEM shocks are very reasonably priced ($100 for a pair) - recommended to replace in pairs
Yeah, I just saw that about 15 min ago when I decided to check my local dealer price. I need valve cover gaskets too but I'll probably get those from rockauto because the whole kit from them is 1/2 the cost of just the grommets from the dealer. Thanks for the tip about doing them in pairs, I've been working on cars since the mid 90's and did it professionally for about 15 years so I know to do it that way. You would be surprised though how many customers only wanted to do one, or just one side of their brakes because only one rotor was under spec.

Yeah, I just saw that about 15 min ago when I decided to check my local dealer price. I need valve cover gaskets too but I'll probably get those from rockauto because the whole kit from them is 1/2 the cost of just the grommets from the dealer. Thanks for the tip about doing them in pairs, I've been working on cars since the mid 90's and did it professionally for about 15 years so I know to do it that way. You would be surprised though how many customers only wanted to do one, or just one side of their brakes because only one rotor was under spec.
Good on you on doing your own work, but I guess being a BMW "junky", you'd have too! :lol:
I say it with love - from one BMW aficionado to another!

BTW - there is a good chance that your VC gaskets are just fine and it's just the VC cover bolts that need to be re-torqued. Give it a try and see if that takes care of the light seepage!

Reactions: GTV
Good on you on doing your own work, but I guess being a BMW "junky", you'd have too! :lol:
I say it with love - from one BMW aficionado to another!

BTW - there is a good chance that your VC gaskets are just fine and it's just the VC cover bolts that need to be re-torqued. Give it a try and see if that takes care of the light seepage!
They were fairly loose so fingers crossed that takes care of the leak. Not looking forward to that drivers side when they eventually do need to be replaced.

They were fairly loose so fingers crossed that takes care of the leak. Not looking forward to that drivers side when they eventually do need to be replaced.
It's actually not bad at all, you git a lot of room and don't have to take off inake or anything crazy like a Bimmer ;)

It's actually not bad at all, you git a lot of room and don't have to take off inake or anything crazy like a Bimmer ;)
I never had to pull an intake for a VC gasket on a BMW, the variable valve lift motors did have to come out on some of the 2008ish and newer cars but it wasn't too bad. I would def rather do 2 VC gaskets on a 1997 6 cyl BMW than the drivers side of the this 100 series V8 though.

Welp. Won the brake booster failure lottery so that's what got done.

View attachment 3188548
Cheers for being cheerful about it. I tell all my friends that a 100% of 100 series will experience this stupid failure around 200k miles - most of them don't appreciate the news!

Cheers for being cheerful about it. I tell all my friends that a 100% of 100 series will experience this stupid failure around 200k miles - most of them don't appreciate the news!
WHY will 100% of 100 series experience brake booster failure around 200,000 miles? What causes this to happen?

These are early generation electric booster systems. An electric motor runs a pump to pressurize the brake fluid in the accumulator. It has multiple advantages over the simpler vacuum operated brake booster that older Cruisers had.
This makes brakes completely independent of engine and you don't lose your brakes if the engine stalls out!!
Unfortunately, the electric motor has a limited life and can wear out with 20 years of service and abt 200k miles.
So if your truck is nearing that mileage, you're on borrowed time. Replace your booster before you buy those chintzy wheels or spend money on other masculine jewelry for your truck.
WHY will 100% of 100 series experience brake booster failure around 200,000 miles? What causes this to happen?

Best educated guess is overfilling break fluid res running down the sides onto the electric bits

These are early generation electric booster systems. An electric motor runs a pump to pressurize the brake fluid in the accumulator. It has multiple advantages over the simpler vacuum operated brake booster that older Cruisers had.
This makes brakes completely independent of engine and you don't lose your brakes if the engine stalls out!!
Unfortunately, the electric motor has a limited life and can wear out with 20 years of service and abt 200k miles.
So if your truck is nearing that mileage, you're on borrowed time. Replace your booster before you buy those chintzy wheels or spend money on other masculine jewelry for your truck.
I'll cross the bridge when I come to it, but as a whole, I think this guy has the issue pegged pretty good.

1670593426134.png

1670593318735.png

I must be winning the lottery at 290k. Rebuilding. Or replacing the motor is on my to do list as a precaution this winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom