What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (51 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the Hundy for a front alignment this morning. It drives like a new truck. Nice, tight, and responsive.

Every bushing, ball joint, tie rod end, hose, oil cooler o-rings, alternator, in the front has been replaced.

I think the front suspension is so happy right now that I'm getting an unexpected 2.5" lift. Ha! I need to get AHC into adjustment to bring it into spec.

1594072927169.png

1594073042877.png

1594073107920.png

The stabilizer bar bushings and links are OEM. But the end link are some poly bushings that I already had in the shop. I like to use a combination of poly ends and rubber bar bushings. Quiet and responsive. I'll get some new brake lines when I decide what I'm going to do about lift.

1594073229926.png

New motor mounts.

1594073525158.png

Took the Hundy for a front alignment this morning. It drives like a new truck. Nice, tight, and responsive.

Every bushing, ball joint, tie rod end, hose, oil cooler o-rings, alternator, in the front has been replaced.

I think the front suspension is so happy right now that I'm getting an unexpected 2.5" lift. Ha! I need to get AHC into adjustment to bring it into spec.

View attachment 2363339

View attachment 2363341

View attachment 2363343

The stabilizer bar bushings and links are OEM. But the end link are some poly bushings that I already had in the shop. I like to use a combination of poly ends and rubber bar bushings. Quiet and responsive. I'll get some new brake lines when I decide what I'm going to do about lift.

View attachment 2363344
New motor mounts.

View attachment 2363348
Are the motor mounts a tough job to tackle?

Are the motor mounts a tough job to tackle?

A little tricky on an LX with AHC since the lines are in the way. It can be done with a fine-tooth 3/8 drive swivel head ratchet to reach on top of the mount for center 14mm nut.

Just got back from 5 days of camping in Sequoia National Forest along the Western Divide Highway (M50), which was really sweet. We saw some really big and old trees. The weather was a pleasant 55-75 degrees and it wasn't too crowded, despite it by the 4th of July holiday.

I am really happy with my current suspension configuration (Tough Dog Lift kit and adjustable pan hard, @TRAIL TAILOR front upper, rear upper/lower control arms), SuperPro rear sway bar, and front and rear Timbren bump stops (@just differentials). I had my rear adjustable shocks @ 9 on the highway and @ 2 setting when off the pavement. My 100 series was really buttoned up on the twisting mountain roads despite being fully laden and handled trails without issues.

My only issue was with the supplied TJM/Whiteline bushing brackets for the front sway bar. The sway bar bushings slid out of the brackets on 3 separate occasions resulting in a clang of the sway bar against the bare bracket. After the third time of having to unbolt the brackets and re-seating the bushings, I swap the aftermarket brackets with fresh OEM brackets that I had fortunately packed along for the trip. I used a trusty Tekton ratcheting 12 mm flex head wrench and thankfully the swap fixed the issue. A camping pad makes for a pretty comfortable mechanic's creeper, lol. Based on my caliper measurements of the sway bar bracket's the inner diameter were very close to each other, but I think under load the supplied aftermarket bushing bracket was flexing and allowing the bushing to slide out. The OEM brackets have a added knurl or ridge of material that would appear to make it stiffer and worked without issue on the Whiteline bushings. TLDR, use OEM brackets and not the TJM/Whiteline supplied ones for the sway bar.

sequoia 15 jordan peak parking.jpg

The remains of Needles lookout.
Sequoia Needles Lookout 2020.jpg

Mule Peak lookout
Mule Peak Sequoia 2020.jpg

On our last day we hit Jordan Peak.
sequoia jordan peak 2020.jpg

Last edited:
Can you reverse/180º the mounting brackets to push the body of the lights forward? Hard to see from the pic if that's possible.

IDK if shaving sounds like the right plan—too much labor for lights you already mentioned were kind of disappointing. Good spots should blow your HIDs out of the water.
You shave them and you can't return them... @saucebox 's idea might work for you. Why are you going so big in the first place? If they don't shine return to sender.

You shave them and you can't return them... @saucebox 's idea might work for you. Why are you going so big in the first place? If they don't shine return to sender.
Just returned from a 4 day wheeling trip. The big 9 inch LED lights look dumb and the light output isn't worth a damn. I have already shaved an edge of the mounting bracket so I can't return them in good conscience.
I think I will play with them little since they are pretty much a sunk cost at this point. I will spray the lens with some yellow tint paint and see if I they would become more useful as inclement weather lights.

Just returned from a 4 day wheeling trip. The big 9 inch LED lights look dumb and the light output isn't worth a damn. I have already shaved an edge of the mounting bracket so I can't return them in good conscience.
I think I will play with them little since they are pretty much a sunk cost at this point. I will spray the lens with some yellow tint paint and see if I they would become more useful as inclement weather lights.
Maybe wire them up with a cigarette outlet plug glue a magnet to the brackets, and use them for under hood work lights/moveable camp lights?

FINALLY got these things mounted up!
200 Series 18" wheels (x5) powder coated 'Bike Black' by yours truly.
295/70R18 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W (x5).
Bora 1.25" Spacers.

Ride quality is a night and day difference now that those multi-sized, dry-rotted KOs are off. Still have to adjust front wheel bearings and repack to alleviate the front end shudder while braking.

Now to find some trails in the Upper Midwest...
20200706_203744.jpg
20200706_203749.jpg

It was great.. plenty of head room 👍 if yah know what I mean...

Just an overnighter at the local state park. Third row out and second row folded.. need to instead totally remove second row next time for extra leg room. Used a 10" Coleman Full-size air mattress on the floor and some cheap walmart camp pillows. Won't be camping inside the car in the summer anymore, one and done. Bringing a tent next time!

Exact same setup but I removed the 2nd row completely. 6'1 and there's no way I would be comfortable with the back seats in.

IMG_7931.jpg

View attachment 2363339

View attachment 2363341

View attachment 2363343

View attachment 2363344
New motor mounts.

View attachment 2363348

Every girl I've ever dated was exponentially dirtier than your under carriage..... 😏

Last edited:
Wifey says her A/C is not cooling as well as in the past. So...I took a look at it.

First checked the static pressure:

AC check1.jpg

Then checked my vent temps:

AC check3.jpg

Took the ambient temp so I'd know about where my pressures need to be:

AC check2.jpg

Added a little refrigerant:

AC check4.jpg

This is more like it:

AC check5.jpg

A little Trans Cooler repair.

I always have some insignificant 'rock damage' to the fins....but a Mockingbird went through the grill at highway speed and left a pretty good spot on it. I picked the feathers (and parts) out of the cooler the day before and then purposed to try and straighten up some of the fins. I used a small pocket screwdriver to manipulate the fins as best I could....then shot it with a light coat of paint.

Far....from perfect, but better than it was.

MB1.jpg

MB2.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 2363339

View attachment 2363341

View attachment 2363343

View attachment 2363344
New motor mounts.

View attachment 2363348

Man.....that looks NICE. You're my new hero. Getting ready to do the same to mine (steering rack, CV shafts, all new bushings, ball joints, TRE's, wheel bearings, brakes, seals, etc). Just do all the front end stuff and be done with it. I'm sure some of it is still good, but while I'm in there....just do it.

Man.....that looks NICE. You're my new hero. Getting ready to do the same to mine (steering rack, CV shafts, all new bushings, ball joints, TRE's, wheel bearings, brakes, seals, etc). Just do all the front end stuff and be done with it. I'm sure some of it is still good, but while I'm in there....just do it.

It gets to be a bit overwhelming to have all that apart at once. But it saves time I think and you get to slay the beast all at once instead of letting the beast eat you over time. I have a post about the procedure for changing the front-rear LCA bushings. I think that was the most involved part when I started. I know of a couple of us who have replaced those. Not really common at this point, though I could tell it wouldn't be too much longer before the old rubber started to break up.

It gets to be a bit overwhelming to have all that apart at once. But it saves time I think and you get to slay the beast all at once instead of letting the beast eat you over time. I have a post about the procedure for changing the front-rear LCA bushings. I think that was the most involved part when I started. I know of a couple of us who have replaced those. Not really common at this point, though I could tell it wouldn't be too much longer before the old rubber started to break up.

^^^

If you could point to me that post....I'd like to go over it. I'm definitely going to change out ALL bushings, no matter how difficult. Best to learn from those who have already done it. Thanks

^^^

If you could point to me that post....I'd like to go over it. I'm definitely going to change out ALL bushings, no matter how difficult. Best to learn from those who have already done it. Thanks

Here's the thread. The most difficult part was working with a low-grade rod that I had to replace 4 times because it would stretch from the high torque. I could not find a grade 8 or above rod locally. This might be easier with different tools for pressing out the old bushing. It worked with my existing sockets and other parts from the borrowed Advance ball joint press kit. The second side went easier than the first.

Note @JunkCrzr89 and @lesgarten have done this.

Finally got around to editing some of my footage from a sand dunes trip a few weeks back. This is why I bought a 100! We tore up the dunes and did some 4-wide drag racing!

SKYDIO 2 DRONE? BEST VIDS IVE SEEN IN A WHILE OF 100'S. SAW YOU LOOKING AT DRONE AND HIT THE BEACON BUTTON AND WENT IN FRONT MAN I WANT ONE.

Last edited:
SKYDIO 2 DRONE? BEST VIDS IVE SEEN IN A WHILE OF 100'S. SAW YOU LOOKING AT DRONE AND HIT THE BEACON BUTTON AND WENT IN FRONT MAN I WANT ONE.
Haha thanks man! Yep it's a Skydio 2. They are starting to ship again finally!

I have some more S2 vids on my channel:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom