Front Lower Control Arm Romoval/Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m not aware of a how-to thread, but it may exist. The lower frame bushing is easy to do with a 1/2” threaded rod (>8” long), some big washers, couple of nuts, and a couple of sockets. The bushings in the control arms are a pain in the ass, though. Multiple methods to get them out. I heated them with a torch until the inner sleeve came out, then cut a slit lengthwise on the inside of the bushing with a hacksaw, and then used a hammer and chisel to beat them out. Others have drilled them out, pressed them out, etc. Getting them out is the hard part, but the new ones go in easy using the threaded rod, washers, and sockets. Pick your poison...

Upper arm bushings just as bad?

I’m not aware of a how-to thread, but it may exist. The lower frame bushing is easy to do with a 1/2” threaded rod (>8” long), some big washers, couple of nuts, and a couple of sockets. The bushings in the control arms are a pain in the ass, though. Multiple methods to get them out. I heated them with a torch until the inner sleeve came out, then cut a slit lengthwise on the inside of the bushing with a hacksaw, and then used a hammer and chisel to beat them out. Others have drilled them out, pressed them out, etc. Getting them out is the hard part, but the new ones go in easy using the threaded rod, washers, and sockets. Pick your poison...

Thanks for the information. I was wondering how to remove the lower frame bushing.

Thanks for the information. I was wondering how to remove the lower frame bushing.
I should’ve taken photos when I replaced mine... I’ll try to get some of the setup I used later today to hopefully give you an approximate representation of how it works. Just make sure you get class 10.9 hardware. Anything less might strip/bend/break.

I should’ve taken photos when I replaced mine... I’ll try to get some of the setup I used later today to hopefully give you an approximate representation of how it works. Just make sure you get class 10.9 hardware. Anything less might strip/bend/break.

Do the washers bear on the shell or on the inner sleeve and rubber bush? It seems like it would be impossible to get washers the exact size of the shell. The thickness of the shell is like 1.2mm or so.

So what is the procedure once the bushings are done and the LCA's are remounted and the Nuts/Bolts are loosely in place and no TQ on the torsion rod yet?

Do the washers bear on the shell or on the inner sleeve and rubber bush? It seems like it would be impossible to get washers the exact size of the shell. The thickness of the shell is like 1.2mm or so.
No, one socket pushes on outer sleeve, with the other socket larger than the outer sleeve pressing on the frame.

So what is the procedure once the bushings are done and the LCA's are remounted and the Nuts/Bolts are loosely in place and no TQ on the torsion rod yet?
LCA bolts/nuts finger tight, install TB torque arm to LCA and torque to spec, remount knuckle to LBJ, torque wheel bearing nuts to proper preload, install hub flange and circlip, install wheel, lower truck to ground so that weight is fully on wheels, then torque LCA bolts/nuts to spec.

LCA bolts/nuts finger tight, install TB torque arm to LCA and torque to spec, remount knuckle to LBJ, torque wheel bearing nuts to proper preload, install hub flange and circlip, install wheel, lower truck to ground so that weight is fully on wheels, then torque LCA bolts/nuts to spec.

Thanx!

No, one socket pushes on outer sleeve, with the other socket larger than the outer sleeve pressing on the frame.

Dude, I'm thinkin' hacksaw! Goin' Medeviel on it. I might spend a few minutes looking at sockets, but ya gotta find 2 Unicorns here it looks like. You have to find a perfect fit socket for the sleeve. The sleeve is so thin it has to be just about dead nuts on. Then find one deep enough to receive the bush on the other side. I just ain't that lucky!

@OwnerCS I just slackened the TB's till loose. Undid the nuts. Then tapped the TB Torque arm back towards the shaft till I got clearance to remove the LCA bolts. The Torque arm is still engaged to a bit of the splines.

@OwnerCS I just slackened the TB's till loose. Undid the nuts. Then tapped the TB Torque arm back towards the shaft till I got clearance to remove the LCA bolts. The Torque arm is still engaged to a bit of the splines.
👍Yep. Torque arms still on the splines.

Dude, I'm thinkin' hacksaw! Goin' Medeviel on it. I might spend a few minutes looking at sockets, but ya gotta find 2 Unicorns here it looks like. You have to find a perfect fit socket for the sleeve. The sleeve is so thin it has to be just about dead nuts on. Then find one deep enough to receive the bush on the other side. I just ain't that lucky!

I think I found a 35mm socket to press on the back side of the bushing. I have a set of 34mm to 36mm to try. Of course I haven't got it out yet. I did rent a a big ball joint press kit from Advance Auto with an assortment of sleeves to cover the front side. Right now, I need to find a high strength bolt that can make it through the 1/2 inch socket, the bushing, and the sleeve that I will use on the front side as @JunkCrzr89 recommended. I need to make a trip to Fastenal for that bolt.

I tried using a heavy duty ball joint press that I rented from advance. The C-clamp is just not wide enough to clear the socket, the ball joint, and the sleeve.

I'll report back if this 35mm socket works on the back side.

1586946618068.png

I think I found a 35mm socket to press on the back side of the bushing. I have a set of 34mm to 36mm to try. Of course I haven't got it out yet. I did rent a a big ball joint press kit from Advance Auto with an assortment of sleeves to cover the front side. Right now, I need to find a high strength bolt that can make it through the 1/2 inch socket, the bushing, and the sleeve that I will use on the front side as @JunkCrzr89 recommended. I need to make a trip to Fastenal for that bolt.

I tried using a heavy duty ball joint press that I rented from advance. The C-clamp is just not wide enough to clear the socket, the ball joint, and the sleeve.

View attachment 2273296

That would be awesome! Thanx for the update. Working on a few other things. Ball Joints and Bushings R/R start later this week.

View attachment 2273296
@OwnerCS @lesgarten I apologize for not getting you some photos sooner. Admittedly, doing so completely slipped my mind until your posts this morning.

So without further ado, below are a few photos of the setup I used. I thought I had a spare control arm laying around to use as an example and double check the socket sizes I used, but if I do I can’t find the damn thing. You’ll have to use your imagination! But I’m 95-98% confident that I used a 1”-drive 54mm socket as the catch (bushing presses into) and a 3/4”-drive 32mm socket as the drive (“press”). These are leftovers from my days working on mining equipment years ago. Unless you also work on heavy machinery, I guess it’s unlikely that you’ll have a plethora of 1” and 3/4” drive sockets laying around to choose from. These larger drive sockets have thicker walls than 1/2” and 3/8” drive sockets, so the exact sizes that fit best on each end won’t be the same if you’re using 1/2” drive.

686FCD79-388A-4440-BBCB-302FCA7A44FC.jpeg

ABB8DCFC-0537-49FC-B011-73E341F11A94.jpeg

78ECC580-F9B4-412C-806F-329D840E8F94.jpeg

BA0ED1BB-7516-4CB8-BA77-AB8E2097CF19.jpeg

I bought the threaded rod, washers, and nuts for like $10 from Home Depot. Rod is 1/2” x 12”; four washers are 1/2” I.D. with 1-3/4” O.D.

Last edited:
@OwnerCS @lesgarten I apologize for not getting you some photos sooner. Admittedly, doing so completely slipped my mind until your posts this morning.

So without further ado, below are a few photos of the setup I used. I thought I had a spare control arm laying around to use as an example and double check the socket sizes I used, but if I do I can’t find the damn thing. You’ll have to use your imagination! But I’m 95-98% confident that I used a 1”-drive 54mm socket as the catch (bushing presses into) and a 3/4”-drive 32mm socket as the drive (“press”). These are leftovers from my days working on mining equipment years ago. Unless you also work on heavy machinery, I guess it’s unlikely that you’ll have a plethora of 1” and 3/4” drive sockets laying around to choose from. These larger drive sockets have thicker walls than 1/2” and 3/8” drive sockets, so the exact sizes that fit best on each end won’t be the same if you’re using 1/2” drive.

View attachment 2273470
View attachment 2273471
View attachment 2273472
View attachment 2273473
I bought the threaded rod, washers, and nuts for like $10 from Home Depot. Rod is 1/2” x 12”; four washers are 1/2” with 1-3/4” O.D.

I ordered some Metric 12mm 10.9 allthread and 10.9 nuts from Mcmaster this morning after seeing your pic. Without walking out to my toolbox I can say for sure that I only have one socket that big and it works on spindle nuts...

I ordered some Metric 12mm 10.9 allthread and 10.9 nuts from Mcmaster this morning after seeing your pic. Without walking out to my toolbox I can say for sure that I only have one socket that big and it works on spindle nuts...
A smaller "catch" socket will work. I think anything around the 45mm range (perhaps even down to 41mm) should work fine as long as you beat the bushing flange back first. I don't have a spare bushing laying around to measure, but if you do then it would be worth measuring the O.D. of the bushing sleeve to determine which two sockets will work best as the "push" and "catch".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom