What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (51 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took my boys (2yo and 3yo) and my father in law and his youngest son (15yo) up a fairly difficult trail closer to home and then camping up on top about a mile off the blue ridge parkway. Vehicle definitely is pretty overloaded with that many people and cargo, thinking of putting OME 2865 springs in place of the old sagging OEM springs since I often have several adults who all overpack. This pick was at the end where it dumps onto the BRP and a bunch of people were bear hunting.
View attachment 2107565
Anyway, lesson learned. Wednesday before the trip I figured I should actually order some straps, snatch block, and d links (already had the winch on the bumper just never got around to the tree savers and such) hoping Amazon would get it to me in time. And Friday about noon while I was securing everything on the roof to leave the mailed showed and I threw everything in the back still in the boxes. Well about 4 hours into the trail towards the top of the ridges got real stuck in a mucky sandy water pit up to the door seals, so i had to crawl out the window on the hood, My brother in law climbed on the rear passenger tire and opened the lift gate and everything out. First tried winching with a tree strap and D-link but just not enough, so put the snatch block on and hooked the winch back to the truck and that pulled the truck (with a foot on the gas) out of the pit pretty easily...but not before getting my hand pretty good when I pulling the winch line out. So not only did I almost not have much recovery equipment, I was too in hurry (and scared for the sinking almost underwater truck) that I didn't grab my leather gloves. Got zero pictures because I try to hurry to get my truck out of that dirty water as fast as I could.
View attachment 2107563
It was also as I got to our campsite that I realized I dont have a first aid kit in the car. So we used thing we had with us to clean it...bourbon. Campsite was great, but my floridian relatives got a little chilly when it got down to 45. I really do need to get away from the air mattress to a foam pad and to some winter sleeping bags. Also hit a good milestone on the way home and trashed the freshly cleaned and tuned engine bay.
View attachment 2107567
View attachment 2107575
View attachment 2107576
Sounds like an adventure. Good lesson for all of us to always make time to be prepared. Glad it all worked out mostly ok.

Inspected and adjusted my park/emergency brake. I took the extra step to pull the rotors and inspect the shoes before adjusting them. Found the shoes in good shape and well within spec. Went from having no parking brake to one that works quite well. 2 hours well spent.

181065B9-3AD9-4D90-8410-560B8D174EA9.jpeg

CF05D6F8-91DA-459C-A3A4-33147C1739E9.jpeg

^ that is one brutal washboard road!

New shocks going in next week, along with rear brakes and rotors and a bunch of other things. View attachment 2099527
Interested to hear a review on these, particularly the rear set. I had a set years ago and the rear shocks were not valved correctly at all, but I know they've discontinued that part number. I've seen you post pictures towing before and am interested in your feedback on them when you get a chance.
Thank you

Sounds like an adventure. Good lesson for all of us to always make time to be prepared. Glad it all worked out mostly ok.
Yeah, I think headrest molle pouch first aid kit is next on the list, and under seat fire extinguisher. I also now see how nice it is have strap or a bag or recovery stuff wrapped on your bull bar.

It's a diesel.

Replaced injector lines, intake gaskets, intake manifold (it was cracked), engine oil (Castrol Edge 5w30 C3) and filter (Genuine Japan Toyota), Transfer case oil (Motul Gear 300 75w90). Drive belts (all 3 of them), and drive belt idler pulleys.

3DEEBA33-6E87-4D0D-8DC0-E4D181C8D616.jpeg

Old filter in this picture, but new injector pipes & clamps already installed
74D07D96-9B93-4F6C-944E-A30826FB9DEE.jpeg

Also replaced the batteries, still the old ones in this picture. Went with 2x Varta 95Ah & I love them.
1611CE22-0B97-45F4-8812-ECEACD8B5C80.jpeg

C16A3B0D-BEC3-40F9-8857-74E7A6B7C025.jpeg

What a week.. :D

Last edited:
Pulled my hub flange and locked center diff to get home on Sunday. I highly recommend carrying the right tools for the job. Back on the road in 20 minutes.

20191015_103910.jpg

20191015_104555.jpg

20191015_105504.jpg

20191015_115005.jpg

Last edited:
What is the proper maneuver if you start sliding down a hill sideways?

See below

Most of them were running old cut up RAM trucks on 40" mud tires and no overhangs. They were surprised when I showed up with a "shiny" Lexus :hillbilly:

the right answer is don’t start going sideways downhill...

Put tranny in low and tc in low and turn on whatever lockers you have. Engine brake the whole way down

Or just go on a bypass

Or this.

I took my LX on a 5 day, 4 night tour of N GA and Tennessee. I'd planned everything out months in advance because this was going to be a big one. GF and I stayed in a different place each night, ranging from tent camping, to a vardo trailer, to a hotel, to back home at my place. Lots of hiking, sight seeing, exploring and adventure. Long story short, we parked the LX at the top of a waterfall and I popped the question and presented my GF with a ring I've been sitting on since the Spring.

I picked a good one, too. She can distinguish all generations of Land Cruiser by chassis model (40 through 200), wants a 60, knows how to work my tire air bleeder, and even drove the truck up the waterfall herself. When we finished, she helped get the truck pressure washed before we headed home. She's a keeper!

20191012_110524_HDR~2.jpg

20191010_162416_HDR~2.jpg

20191013_105556_HDR~2.jpg

20191013_130131_HDR~2.jpg

8B2EEC15-2F88-4CA6-8F17-D73175F14C56.jpeg

Last edited:
See below

Or this.

I took my LX on a 5 day, 4 night tour of N GA and Tennessee. I'd planned everything out months in advance because this was going to be a big one. GF and I stayed in a different place each night, ranging from tent camping, to a vardo trailer, to a hotel, to back home at my place. Lots of hiking, sight seeing, exploring and adventure. Long story short, we parked the LX at the top of a waterfall and I popped the question and presented my GF with a ring I've been sitting on since the Spring.

I picked a good one, too. She can distinguish all generations of Land Cruiser by chassis model (40 through 200), knows how to work my tire air bleeder, and even drove the truck up the waterfall herself. When we finished, she helped get the truck pressure washed before we headed home. She's a keeper!

View attachment 2108413
View attachment 2108414
View attachment 2108419
View attachment 2108420
View attachment 2108421

Congrats man! Wish you a long and happy life together.

If it weren't for that ring, I'd have new F+R bumpers on order and you'd be wearing my ARB by now! 🤣
You don't need bumpers :hillbilly:, sell me your ARB already.

See below

Or this.

I picked a good one, too. She can distinguish all generations of Land Cruiser by chassis model (40 through 200), knows how to work my tire air bleeder, and even drove the truck up the waterfall herself. When we finished, she helped get the truck pressure washed before we headed home. She's a keeper!

View attachment 2108421

Congrats bro! Btw we have the exact same water bottle, TJ Maxx $9.99, it's been with me for 5 years all over the country.

48906333272_b304eb5365_b.jpg

Congrats bro! Btw we have the exact same water bottle, TJ Maxx $9.99, it's been with me for 5 years all over the country.

48906333272_b304eb5365_b.jpg
Oh man don't tell me that. I paid like $40 for it on Amazon 😂

Mine has been on quite a few adventures all over as well, though. I should start giving it stickers...

Last edited:
He was totally prepared, bourbon fixes everything. If you are ever in Roanoke stop by and we can do a bourbon tasting.

He was totally prepared, bourbon fixes everything. If you are ever in Roanoke stop by and we can do a bourbon tasting.
Will do! I’ll bring a couple from ‘Bama; Clyde Mays and John Emerald.

Last week did the bushings on the rear sway bar and new links. Still have a clunk somewhere, the search goes on.

Spent the weekend at Expo East in VA, only 90 mins from the homestead, hard not to attend. Great folks and food!!!
Thanks Comet, Larry and RAANDERSON77
thumbnail_IMG-1960.jpg

Will do! I’ll bring a couple from ‘Bama; Clyde Mays and John Emerald.
I'm a bit of a bourbon snob, only from Kentucky. Got some Pappy Family 12 year Reserve, George T Stagg, Col EH Taylor and others. Come on, I will try those Bama offerings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom