What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (54 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Boy that’d be a tough one to explain to the significant other if that note ever got misplaced!

“Honey....I think we need a new garage door and fascia”:rolleyes:
Worked at a bike shop and this happened ALL THE TIME! 5k in damage to car, 5k in damage to house/drive through, and 5-20k in destroyed bikes. Several customers were repeat offenders.

Installed new tailgate struts. Finally lifts up on its own. 5 min job that is so satisfying. Remembered that they were left and right specific after I had already started installing. Luckily I accidentally put them on correctly.

Installed my @Ramathorn15 fire extinguisher mounts. Doubled up the clamps for my Element E50 so it wouldn't rattle. Need to get a right sized molle pouch for my first aid kit to install on the passenger side. Of course one little trim screw fell and rolled into a carpet hole under the driver's seat. Luckily it landed right on top of the vent and I was able to grab it with the magnetic pick-up tool.

Installed cheap awnings to camp in the car before a all day gravel bike race in the mountains. Bailed on the race because of rain in the forecast and being apathetic.

IMG_20190913_114000.jpg

IMG_20190913_150947.jpg

IMG_20190913_151005.jpg

IMG_20190913_141316.jpg

IMG_20190913_174954.jpg

Flushed the AHC a few miles (ok, maybe 9k late) at 129k. Really easy job thanks to online instructions here! And I have to say it raises and lowers noticeably faster now. Also replaced front brake pads. Onto the rear brakes and 5k oil change.

Scored a great deal on some 18" stock wheels earlier this summer ($80 for the set). Had them sandblasted then hit them with rattle can primer and satin black. The time came for new shoes today, 275/70-18 BFG AT KOs, so it all came together. I've always loved the silver/black combo.

aUwX8V8xQnqk6SGSpx4rJg.jpg

Qf5SEylST6iL2fKAJf2z5Q.jpg

Rq4IR4xPQD+sr7n%06qmWQ.jpg

XAOB3cUCSYyZv5MST08JWQ.jpg

Had a YourMechanic came earlier this week to do Stabilizer links/bushing, spark plugs and valve cover gaskets.

Today i just swapped out a new PCV & hose. The grommet was a PITA to get out. As everyone says, it was hard as a rock and crumbled.

Also cleaned the MAF, i bought my 2000 lx470 in march and pretty much have the thing fully baselined finally. I don't know if the MAF has every been cleaned, but I feel like i could notice a different in the throttle response just driving around my neighborhood.

Next up - clean throttle body & intsalling the Cruiser-Garage AC hose extension. We'll see when i can get around to doing it.

I'm not skilled mechanically so I'm trying to learn everything I can! Ih8mud has been amazing.

Had a YourMechanic came earlier this week to do Stabilizer links/bushing, spark plugs and valve cover gaskets.

Today i just swapped out a new PCV & hose. The grommet was a PITA to get out. As everyone says, it was hard as a rock and crumbled.

Also cleaned the MAF, i bought my 2000 lx470 in march and pretty much have the thing fully baselined finally. I don't know if the MAF has every been cleaned, but I feel like i could notice a different in the throttle response just driving around my neighborhood.

Next up - clean throttle body & intsalling the Cruiser-Garage AC hose extension. We'll see when i can get around to doing it.

I'm not skilled mechanically so I'm trying to learn everything I can! Ih8mud has been amazing.

why did you choose a yourmechanic vs dealer or indy? just curious if price was better or you wanted to watch as they work?

why did you choose a yourmechanic vs dealer or indy? just curious if price was better or you wanted to watch as they work?

Price was alot cheaper than what a couple shops quoted. At least I think it was. I paid $300 (not including parts, i supplied those) for him to do all 3 things listed above. It was also very convenient having him come to my house at 7:30am. Done by 10ish and i didnt have to get out of my boxers on my day off.

I haven't been on here in awhile...

Had a brake caliper seize up on me last week and got that replaced under warranty (NAPA Eclipse), and also went to another shop to get the annual oil undercoating treament.

Today my mechanic graciously set aside his Saturday to do the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, and tensioner. Along with that I also had him install a new OEM radiator with hoses, thermostat, PCV valve, NGK iridium spark plugs, new Denso coils, and had him do a coolant flush with OEM red. I looked at the old waterpump and the pulley was on its way out, but the belt was still in good shape (visually no cracks) but the teeth were not as pronounced as the new one (the last time this was done was eight years ago). I used the Aisin TKT-021 kit that came with everything.

Overall, with the new plugs and coils, idle definitely feels smoother, and power delivery feels a bit more "on tap" (if one could say). The butt-dyno feels like it's faster... but that's probably the placebo of having all new parts.

All-in-all, I'm glad to have everything all done, I love this vehicle and knowing I plan on keeping it forever helps with the overall justification to get all these things done no matter what the cost (plus I'm anal as **** about cosmetics and maintenance with any of my things). That, and I have a good relationship with my tech (who is Toyota certified) and was able to give me a good price on labor.

Tomorrow I plan on pulling the antenna motor out of the fender and cleaning out the remains of the nylon cord so I can install a new mast...

Edit: Replaced the antenna mast which was bent earlier last week (courtesy of a flying box on the highway which miraculously and thankfully didn't hit anything/anyone else) and cleaned out the motor in about fifteen minutes... All said and done!

20190909_065042.jpg

20190915_100950.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap, headlight restoration actually works. Thank goodness later vehicles employ plastic light frames instead of glass! 👈 oh, wait, no... 🤔 is that why my glass 1999 lights look absolutely perfect still?

Anyway:
IMG_1462.jpg

Clearcoat those lenses after you clean off the oxidation....or be prepared to do this a few times a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom