What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (63 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the steering rack bushings on my ‘02. Took about three hours. Wow, what a world of difference. No more wandering, steering is now precise. I replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends two weeks ago which removed some of the play. now with the new rack bushings, no more play at all when wiggling the wheel at 3 and 9 o’clock. Old bushings were disintegrated, I didn’t even need to use a jack to push them out.

I then had the power steering fluid flushed with fresh ATF and added about 40ml of AT-205 since the rack was leaking at both left and right sides. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Also installed a 200mm Toyota size 2 DIN Android radio. Fits in the LX470 radio opening since it has a wider hole. There are small gaps around but hardly noticeable.

66269994-D1D8-42E5-A72D-1B190242B308.jpeg

E85B54C2-9F67-4606-8A1A-9BF955C648F9.jpeg

41E47700-016C-4357-8E0C-D6DAC5E39526.jpeg

0BAF8602-986E-432E-8F3B-66708FFFD646.jpeg

99's are glass. Generally not needed to restore. What do you mean?
Mine are scratched up and I also would like to change the yellow glass to clear and just put a yellowfins bulb in there. I was having trouble finding a good thread on head and tail light mods. Was curious if you had done any.

Replaced the steering rack bushings on my ‘02. Took about three hours. Wow, what a world of difference. No more wandering, steering is now precise. I replaced the inner and outer tie rod ends two weeks ago which removed some of the play. now with the new rack bushings, no more play at all when wiggling the wheel at 3 and 9 o’clock. Old bushings were disintegrated, I didn’t even need to use a jack to push them out.

I then had the power steering fluid flushed with fresh ATF and added about 40ml of AT-205 since the rack was leaking at both left and right sides. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Also installed a 200mm Toyota size 2 DIN Android radio. Fits in the LX470 radio opening since it has a wider hole. There are small gaps around but hardly noticeable.

View attachment 2085977

View attachment 2085978

View attachment 2085979

View attachment 2085980
how difficult was the head unit conversion? do you have a link to the display you used?

Got to practice my “high water crossings” (I attempted nothing more than mid-calf) on the route home from work around lunch time today. 3.5 hours to cover a usual 30 min drive.

Thanks tropical storm Imelda!

Mine are scratched up and I also would like to change the yellow glass to clear and just put a yellowfins bulb in there. I was having trouble finding a good thread on head and tail light mods. Was curious if you had done any.

Post some pics? Yellow glass? Rather the reflectors? Or are you talking about the egg-yoke markers?

how difficult was the head unit conversion? do you have a link to the display you used?

It was pretty easy. My ‘02 LX470 came with a 15 pin connector. The new radio came with connectors for the standard Toyota plugs. I bought male Toyota plugs and wired them to a Metra adapter that plugs to the 15 pin connector. Now everything is plug and play.

This is the radio I used, bought it last year though
Amazon product ASIN B07H8C4PRX
B60B533A-C197-4904-AEAA-61152D05E154.jpeg
4A2A1E85-7EF2-401F-9C4A-BE1CEA357BEA.jpeg

After a weekend wheeling in Uwharrie, I tweaked something in my front suspension. Nothing major, we did a 6 hour drive home while towing just fine. I took it to the pros at Gran Turismo East in Chamblee (HIGHLY recommended in the ATL area) and found out what was what. Looked like my SPC arms shifted toward the engine on their mounts. A little love and we're back in spec and driving oh so much better.

20190917_133830_HDR.jpg

20190917_130950_HDR.jpg

20190917_133322.jpg

After a weekend wheeling in Uwharrie, I tweaked something in my front suspension. Nothing major, we did a 6 hour drive home while towing just fine. I took it to the pros at Gran Turismo East in Chamblee (HIGHLY recommended in the ATL area) and found out what was what. Looked like my SPC arms shifted toward the engine on their mounts. A little love and we're back in spec and driving oh so much better.

Glad you got her tip top again.
When bombing around Cliffs park a few weeks ago, I was going a little too fast up a very steep and muddy hill when my left front wheel went into a deep hole and caused the whole truck to come to a sudden stop like we have hit a wall!
We made it out ok (and drove home 150 miles) but ever since then every time we are going over a patchy road where road imperfections are roughly equally spaced, I get an odd bouncing feeling from the left front wheel that upsets the whole truck. I haven't had it looked at but I am suspecting that the hard hit that wheel took might have caused the stock OEM shock to fail?

Maybe? Like it compressed so much it blew inside or something?

I'd take it to a trusted alignment shop and have them check it out. My guys will do a once over for free if needed. In my case, it was an easy adjustment so $75 later we're in business.

The arms on either side in the mounts. They just needed to be loosened and pulled further out at the top.

Admittedly, I was bombing around pretty quickly trying to catch up to my group that left me at the trail head.

The arms on either side in the mounts. They just needed to be loosened and pulled further out at the top.

Admittedly, I was bombing around pretty quickly trying to catch up to my group that left me at the trail head.

didnt know you can pull the arms in and out like that. i had a really bad positive camber when i first installed. adjusted the topnut to its max position towards the engine to a less positive camber.

Installed some Old Man Emu 2865 rear coil springs and cranked my front torsion bars. All other suspension components left stock.

A few more pictures in my build thread.

After
View attachment 2084183

Before
View attachment 2084184

Important Numbers (Driver / Passenger)
Old Front: 18.75" / 19"
T Bar Turns: 7 / 5
New Front: 20" / 20"
Front Increase: 1.25" / 1.00"
Front Wheel Suspended: 23.25" / 23.25"
Droop: 3.25" / 3.25"
Old Rear: 20" / 20.25"
New Rear: 21.75" / 21.75"
Rake: 1.75" / 1.75"

Important Question:
Is my 1.75" rake too much for daily driving? Will I see anything negative come from this? We test loaded the back with gear and the rake becomes closer to 1.25" as the rear springs compress.

I could crank the torsion bars a little more but I really want to avoid CV boot issues.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
This looks AWESOME!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom