What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to plastidipping my gold emblems. Watched a few YouTube’s, it’s pretty easy.

0. Clean and mask a lot
1. Do a 50% coat first
2. Get it from the left, pretty wet.
3. Get it from the right, pretty wet.
4. Get it from the bottom, pretty wet.
5. Get it from the top, pretty wet.
6. Just get it more wet for fun.
7. Moar costs anyway. I should have, but didn’t

Peeling it is a lot of fun, I had some overspray in spite of aggressive masking, it was windy. Just rub it with a rag and it comes off. The tiny corners and inside letters are a bit tricky but I found just wiggling a toothpick around got it pretty well.

Here’s a little video I took about how to get the inside of the emblems.

B18D730C-B557-43AD-8748-E017586D1D95.jpeg
ED897057-CCFE-4C08-BF63-4E753B1BC1A5.jpeg
C38CAA1B-8431-4A5F-AF19-8DEE6E54F09C.jpeg
E2E72988-8B2F-48E4-BC07-F41D11485B39.jpeg

They don't, i was wondering if anyone has changed out their seats for ones with them, or added anchors into existing seats. I have to believe even a DIY 3 point mount anchor system would be better than the seatbelt but maybe you're not even allowed to IDK.

We regularly put three child seats in our 2nd row—it’s an 04 so has latch points in the all but the rightmost (flip up) seat, which is dumb. Not sure if yours has the special seatbelt, but both this and our 02 Volvo have belts that can be locked by pulling them all the way out and then slowly retracting them until they’re nice and snug. They will not loosen up at all until the buckle is undone. They’re at least as secure as the latch.

Shoot, you are getting it done! Gonna be awesome, and even though it takes work to keep a ~20 year old vehicle running right it is totally worth it. You might not even need to replace the wheel bearings, have you been in there to take a look?
Thanks! I have big dreams for it...mostly cause I paid nothing for it and get a nice discount on certain parts. I'd love to hit 750K, itd be a cool accomplishment in and of itself. Or at least keep this thing going until I can get a 03 or later as the "family" daily driver, keep this one for off-roading or something. I'm planning at in gauges to the drivers side pillar, two temperature gauges that check trans temp before the cooler and after. And I got a digital obd reader display live info. I figure if I closely monitor all the temps and specs theres not a reason this thing should quit and on me.
I haven't looked at the wheel bearings but based on the play in the wheels and the way car steers I got em, the Timken bearings are surprisingly cheap. Theyre cheaper than the tools and crap you have to get just to do the job.

Also, I noticed a bunch of you are rocking the multiple car seats in the Cruiser, nice! much much much much much better than a minivan. But has anyone done anything to the seats or replaced seats to be able to use anchor for your kids car seats? I hate using the seat belt, especially since one of my car seats are rear facing.
The leather on the original back seat in my 98 was a little crusty. So I found a guy selling his 03 rear seat in excellent condition ($200) and love having the anchors. What is often overlooked with the car seats is that some work excellent with a belt, others less so. Particularly if you have several cars and have to move the seats occasionally. I find the the anchors on the LC work as well as any I have tried. I have been using cars seats for the last 12 years in 7 different personal vehicles and countless rental cars. Good luck getting to 750k miles.

View attachment 1962086
Disclaimer : Yes I know the pinstripe is still there, I don’t know what Lexus used to put it on there, but it absolutely won’t come off. I’ll try some goo gone tomorrow and see if I can get it off.

Anyways I’ve been wanting to put some Ivan Stripes on the truck for awhile now and finally just ordered the vinyl and got after it. It doesn’t look super great in person but for my first time messing with vinyl it’s not bad. The door jamb was the hardest part.
View attachment 1962154
I had pinstipes on my truck as well when I first got it, one side was vinyl and the other side was actually painted on. After reading up on it acetone was what ended up being the trick. A little bit on a rag, wiped right away.

Replaced the heater T's with brass from home depot. The old ones both broke on removal, and I had to fish out little pieces. My 1999 with 175k miles definitely needed it or it would have probably stranded me pretty soon.

I did drop one of the damn nuts that hold on the engine cover and couldn't find it.....so I guess I'm going cover less . It was a pretty easy job, but uncomfortable trying to get the clips off the hoses leaned all the way into the engine bay

20190427_151124.jpg

Damage from my Death Valley trip last week. I was tired, looking for a camp site and was just being lazy/going too fast and straddled a rock I should not have. Stupid mistake. Ben's skid plates had be feeling like superman but also saved me from damaging my cats. Zero damage from Mengel Pass and then I do this later. It hurts pride and the wallet. Maybe I should have just lied and said I was doing a class 5 towing a jeep ha.

Also I didn't know I could flex this much in the rear with 285/75/16s. Of all my trips and trail miles I've never had tire rub in the rear. How in the hell do people with 34s or 35s wheel this vehicle?

Getting closer on my rear kitchen/drawer setup. Gotta' build the side wings, drawer fronts and then carpet and finish the wiring for the outlets and compressor.
IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

Replaced the heater T's with brass from home depot. The old ones both broke on removal, and I had to fish out little pieces. My 1999 with 175k miles definitely needed it or it would have probably stranded me pretty soon.

I did drop one of the damn nuts that hold on the engine cover and couldn't find it.....so I guess I'm going cover less . It was a pretty easy job, but uncomfortable trying to get the clips off the hoses leaned all the way into the engine bay

View attachment 1963294

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom