What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to the A/C condenser cleaner, bought stuff a while back. Opened up the glove box, pulled access door, pulled filters out, and sprayed the Klima Cleaner right in the coils. Let it dissolve, squirted another round to empty the can. Nearly all dripped out of the usual drain, a little on the floor mat inside. Yeah, I hear ya, I'll get to that another day. Let it sit, reassemble.

But it gave me a chance to use my new JIS #2 screwdriver. It works awesome, definitely recommend get yourself a set. No wonder the Phillips always feels like it is stripping the screws, it ain't the right tool for the job!

View attachment 1961271

Excellent call on the JIS#2 screwdriver. Previously, I had no idea these things existed and wondered why every screw felt like I was going to strip it out even though it felt like my "regular" screwdrivers kind of fit.

Finally got around to the A/C condenser cleaner, bought stuff a while back. Opened up the glove box, pulled access door, pulled filters out, and sprayed the Klima Cleaner right in the coils. Let it dissolve, squirted another round to empty the can. Nearly all dripped out of the usual drain, a little on the floor mat inside. Yeah, I hear ya, I'll get to that another day. Let it sit, reassemble.

But it gave me a chance to use my new JIS #2 screwdriver. It works awesome, definitely recommend get yourself a set. No wonder the Phillips always feels like it is stripping the screws, it ain't the right tool for the job!

View attachment 1961268View attachment 1961271View attachment 1961269
You have a link for a set of those JIS screwdrivers?

Well, been lurking past few months since I bought this 99' LC in beginning of Feb, already put 5,000 miles on it. About to cross 495,000 miles. Previous owner got it at 37K, he wasn't particularly mechanically inclined (at all) but he only brought it to Toyota and did whatever they told him to, so no mods, all oem/stock parts. He had them do some big jobs (A/C, Heater T's and Hoses all replaced, gaskets, etc.). I'm guessing they recently told him that it was pretty much time for major work on the front suspension so he decided just to buy a 2015 LC.

I haven't done anything crazy, 02 sensors within the first week, plasti-dip the rims black for looks but also they were really chipped, scratched and uneven surface wise which made them impossible to clean. Got a cheaper roof rack but then got SS hardware, gasket sealer, loctite, and bed liner (3 coats) and ended up turning it into a pretty secure rust free rack. I've carried ladders, tool bags, etc (way over the supposed 150lb cap) up into the mountains and had no problems.

Anyways here are some small little things I've taken care of this week. Monroe gas charged hood lift supports put in, so no more broom stick to carry around in the back lol. Dont have photos but the body had two bubbled paint rust spots about the size of a couple quarters, one at the bottom of the rear window and one below the drivers door, got a kit from automotive touch up and wet sanded and painted and then clear coat, paint was a perfect match.

But this weekend is hopefully the big stuff. Moog Upper and Lower Control Arms for both front sides (w/ball joint and bushings obvs.), Moog Tie Rod Ends on both sides, and Racho RS9000 shocks. I work for a certain autoparts conglomerate and so its hard to argue with the hefty discount.

But the real big deal that I'm not as confident in is replacing the wheel bearings, I've got Timken inner and outer sets and seals (which I found out afterwards are the OEM so go me). I've been scouring the videos and threads on here but still pretty nervous to really get it right. I'm thinking I'll only get to control arms or bearings this weekend not both but we'll see. Anyways if anyone is in the Shenandoah valley region likes to get their hands dirty and take some samples from my kegerator I'm always up for a partner in crime on something like this. Or if y'all know any Land Cruiser groups that are actually active in the region let me know too.

IMG-2432.JPG

IMG-2536.JPG

IMG-2537.JPG

IMG-2543.JPG

Also, I noticed a bunch of you are rocking the multiple car seats in the Cruiser, nice! much much much much much better than a minivan. But has anyone done anything to the seats or replaced seats to be able to use anchor for your kids car seats? I hate using the seat belt, especially since one of my car seats are rear facing.

Also, I noticed a bunch of you are rocking the multiple car seats in the Cruiser, nice! much much much much much better than a minivan. But has anyone done anything to the seats or replaced seats to be able to use anchor for your kids car seats? I hate using the seat belt, especially since one of my car seats are rear facing.

I don't believe the 99 had child seat anchors. My 98 doesn't. I don't believe Toyota added those until '01 or possibly a little later.

I don't believe the 99 had child seat anchors. My 98 doesn't. I don't believe Toyota added those until '01 or possibly a little later.
They don't, i was wondering if anyone has changed out their seats for ones with them, or added anchors into existing seats. I have to believe even a DIY 3 point mount anchor system would be better than the seatbelt but maybe you're not even allowed to IDK.

The fronts are fairly easy. The cone washers are the biggest pain in the butt. What I have found works best is to use a pair of pliers to pinch and pull out on the cone washer while to tap the side of the hub with your brass hammer. The other issue is having a big enough socket. I think it’s 56mm. It’s not really tight just overly large. Get EVERYTHING on the parts diagram.

Well, been lurking past few months since I bought this 99' LC in beginning of Feb, already put 5,000 miles on it. About to cross 495,000 miles. Previous owner got it at 37K, he wasn't particularly mechanically inclined (at all) but he only brought it to Toyota and did whatever they told him to, so no mods, all oem/stock parts. He had them do some big jobs (A/C, Heater T's and Hoses all replaced, gaskets, etc.). I'm guessing they recently told him that it was pretty much time for major work on the front suspension so he decided just to buy a 2015 LC.

I haven't done anything crazy, 02 sensors within the first week, plasti-dip the rims black for looks but also they were really chipped, scratched and uneven surface wise which made them impossible to clean. Got a cheaper roof rack but then got SS hardware, gasket sealer, loctite, and bed liner (3 coats) and ended up turning it into a pretty secure rust free rack. I've carried ladders, tool bags, etc (way over the supposed 150lb cap) up into the mountains and had no problems.

Anyways here are some small little things I've taken care of this week. Monroe gas charged hood lift supports put in, so no more broom stick to carry around in the back lol. Dont have photos but the body had two bubbled paint rust spots about the size of a couple quarters, one at the bottom of the rear window and one below the drivers door, got a kit from automotive touch up and wet sanded and painted and then clear coat, paint was a perfect match.

But this weekend is hopefully the big stuff. Moog Upper and Lower Control Arms for both front sides (w/ball joint and bushings obvs.), Moog Tie Rod Ends on both sides, and Racho RS9000 shocks. I work for a certain autoparts conglomerate and so its hard to argue with the hefty discount.

But the real big deal that I'm not as confident in is replacing the wheel bearings, I've got Timken inner and outer sets and seals (which I found out afterwards are the OEM so go me). I've been scouring the videos and threads on here but still pretty nervous to really get it right. I'm thinking I'll only get to control arms or bearings this weekend not both but we'll see. Anyways if anyone is in the Shenandoah valley region likes to get their hands dirty and take some samples from my kegerator I'm always up for a partner in crime on something like this. Or if y'all know any Land Cruiser groups that are actually active in the region let me know too.

They don't, i was wondering if anyone has changed out their seats for ones with them, or added anchors into existing seats. I have to believe even a DIY 3 point mount anchor system would be better than the seatbelt but maybe you're not even allowed to IDK.
Other threads suggest that this is cost prohibitive. Some posters also suggest that the belt is more secure than the LATCH system.

You have a link for a set of those JIS screwdrivers?

I pieced together a #1, #2, and #3 on Amazon, wish I could have got all three matched, they're all Vessel, but not same style. Did some internet searching but couldn't locate a set. I like the full through handle, metal endplate, and hex on the shank. But if I knew Wit's End had them I would have just ordered that set they carry. Their price is good.

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 12.13.03 PM.png

02 sensors
plasti-dip the rims black
Got a cheaper roof rack but then ... turning it into a pretty secure rust free rack
Monroe gas charged hood lift supports
got a kit from automotive touch up and wet sanded and painted and then clear coat
Moog Upper and Lower Control Arms for both front sides (w/ball joint and bushings obvs.)
Moog Tie Rod Ends on both sides
Racho RS9000 shocks.
But the real big deal that I'm not as confident in is replacing the wheel bearings...

Shoot, you are getting it done! Gonna be awesome, and even though it takes work to keep a ~20 year old vehicle running right it is totally worth it. You might not even need to replace the wheel bearings, have you been in there to take a look?

Can you post pics of the mounts, please?

This is how the Metal Tech sliders are attached

D0ejXNN.jpg

it's pretty solid, the tube sits 1/2" under the pinch weld so if the Ubolts can't handle the load it'll bend and rest on the pinchweld and won't break off. At least in theory

Awesome, Thanks very much!!

This is how the Metal Tech sliders are attached

D0ejXNN.jpg

it's pretty solid, the tube sits 1/2" under the pinch weld so if the Ubolts can't handle the load it'll bend and rest on the pinchweld and won't break off. At least in theory

294A7A23-659E-45B1-B043-96D0E71A2B5F.jpeg

Disclaimer : Yes I know the pinstripe is still there, I don’t know what Lexus used to put it on there, but it absolutely won’t come off. I’ll try some goo gone tomorrow and see if I can get it off.

Anyways I’ve been wanting to put some Ivan Stripes on the truck for awhile now and finally just ordered the vinyl and got after it. It doesn’t look super great in person but for my first time messing with vinyl it’s not bad. The door jamb was the hardest part.
ivan.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got around to plastidipping my gold emblems. Watched a few YouTube’s, it’s pretty easy.

0. Clean and mask a lot
1. Do a 50% coat first
2. Get it from the left, pretty wet.
3. Get it from the right, pretty wet.
4. Get it from the bottom, pretty wet.
5. Get it from the top, pretty wet.
6. Just get it more wet for fun.
7. Moar costs anyway. I should have, but didn’t

Peeling it is a lot of fun, I had some overspray in spite of aggressive masking, it was windy. Just rub it with a rag and it comes off. The tiny corners and inside letters are a bit tricky but I found just wiggling a toothpick around got it pretty well.

Here’s a little video I took about how to get the inside of the emblems.

B18D730C-B557-43AD-8748-E017586D1D95.jpeg
ED897057-CCFE-4C08-BF63-4E753B1BC1A5.jpeg
C38CAA1B-8431-4A5F-AF19-8DEE6E54F09C.jpeg
E2E72988-8B2F-48E4-BC07-F41D11485B39.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom