What has left you stranded? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been prepping a new to me 91 for a 5 hour trip, and while I work on cars for a living and know the usual supects , I was wondering what had left you guys stranded? I know the 3fe May have it’s specific things but what about other stuff?

Knuckle bolts. Starter. Hot brake fluid.

knuckle bolts required a tow and was a bit crazy.

Starter I managed to get working a few times before planned replacement while traveling. Not stranded really.

Boiling brake fluid was temporary. A little crazy with no brakes but I discovered what it was and resolved quickly.

Last edited:
Running out of gas, losing the key; stupid stuff really.

Edit: almost lost all the lugnuts from one wheel (and the wheel); but you can borrow some nuts from the other wheels and get by.

Depends how you're abusing it. I've destroyed drag links and sector shafts and links etc. But those wouldn't be failing on a road trip

The first time my 92 left me stranded was at 410k miles. My fan randomly exploded taking out the radiator and shroud in the process.
C1D90E58-8086-413B-8ADB-AA94DB9758E0.jpeg

CFCF6F23-1A82-41EB-88A6-B46A2C1AC313.jpeg

10k miles later, my crank pulley separated. Probably could have been driven, but had it towed to be safe since the pulley could have rubbed through some hard lines near the block and any imbalance of the crank could have led to other issues.

I've done plenty of damage with my SC'd truck over its 380k life but I've only ever been "stranded" twice: once was before I realized what the glowing orange light above the "E" meant and the second was a blown PHH. I didn't have any 5/8" hose with me so game over.

The only time I’ve been stranded my alternator quit. It was caused by a bad ground cable. Replace all of your grounds and carry a spare alternator.

I had an alternator fail once, but I was able to make it the remaining 80 miles. It ended up being my fault in that I paid to have the engine cleaned before tackling some oil leaks. I put in another OEM alternator that blew in a puff of smoke in less than ten miles. It was there that I found the engine detailer had fubarred the fusible link going to the alternator and did some sort of crazy rewire.

Battery died during the winter once. That's the only time it technically wouldn't start on me at all.

Close second is the starter contacts - they were starting to go and I was putting off fixing it. It took a few tries once, and I thought that the old LC was finally letting me down, but after letting it sit for a few minutes it started right up. Replaced the starter a few months later and all has been good since.

PHH - pesky heater hose. Funny thing was I was less than 2 miles from home when it busted.

I do believe the phh does not exist on the 3fe.

Alternator the week after a wreck was the only time I got stranded in my 91. Other than that it was a jeep and a Ford ranger lol

I've done plenty of damage with my SC'd truck over its 380k life but I've only ever been "stranded" twice: once was before I realized what the glowing orange light above the "E" meant and the second was a blown PHH. I didn't have any 5/8" hose with me so game over.

Wait, didn’t you lose a Wheel once?

I had the bypass hose blow, starter fail and bunch of other things but that all happened close to or right in my driveway.....knock on wood my luck doesn’t change.

I've been stranded by an air flow meter that had been ham-fisted open at the no-no screws. If I ever find the hack that did that...

Oh wait that hack is me, albeit a younger me who hadn't read enough 'mud at the time.

On my 3FE was an EFI relay. Incredible amount of heat under the hood especially in AZ. I always have an extra. Never did the EFI relay relocation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom