What fuel pump are you running? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo

SILVER Star
Threads
I bring it up because I’m changing my fuel pump. After 24 years and 300K miles I thought it would be prudent, and easy to do.
I bought a Denso replacement pump. When I got to it I found the Denso to be shorter than OEM and would require me to rewire because the connector plug has different pins.

So, I don’t mind the spend on the OEM fuel pump. Let me know what replacement pump, if any you are using.

thanks

IMG_3597.jpeg

IMG_3598.jpeg

IMG_3599.jpeg

72064397080__F06580B0-AF67-47E9-A41A-B0B2B612A322.jpeg

You got the wrong fuel pump dude

It’s amazing what a search box can get you even while sitting on the throne

950-0147

🔺🔺 Denso 950-0147 easy peasy plug n play no problems.

Unless that now unobtanium too.

Well of course I had the wrong fuel pump!
That’s why this thread was born!

The Denso 950-0147 seems difficult to get. I was looking at the Delphi FE-0402 looked like a good option.

this is a search for opinions!

Last edited:
I went with OEM, installed it about a year ago, then while out hunting, my 80 stranded me for the first time. After getting it home and searching for the direct short (EFI fuse kept popping), turns out the sub-harness that connects to the fuel pump, was pinched between a fuel splash baffle and pick-tube. I repaired and rerouted it. Luckily I had a Toyota mechanic friend talk me through diagnosing the short over the phone.
F662031B-645F-440B-B286-D6AF050D2A1D.jpeg
9DA854F0-FD52-4420-B356-E8F60D9AAA23.jpeg

I ran with OEM. I got it about two years ago and it was pricey, not $300 pricey. Ouch!

Well of course I had the wrong fuel pump!
That’s why this thread was born!

The Denso 950-0147 seems difficult to get. I was looking at the Delphi FE-0402 looked like a good option.

this is a search for opinions!
It's been a little over a year but I had to replace one on a 98 SC300 which I think was the same part # for 80s. Couldn't source a denso so went with the delphi- it was fine.
$300 for OEM denso is slightly absurd since the OE packaged is like $120. I've noticed getting OE denso stuff has been a pita since covid.

Do you think OEM denso is made to a higher standard than OE denso or the same?
I doubt it, considering these are now made in China. I tried to order one via Amazon, two months later cancelled because it still hadn't shipped.

A month after ordering the Denso I ordered Delphi via Amazon. These units are made in Japan, I believe. Go figure. The Delphi is also shorter than OEM but not so much that you can't plug it in. Before ordering the Delphi I bought a pump from O'Reilly's that was said to be "plug and play". It was not, the electric plug wasn't compatible.

The $250+ Toyota fuel pump is still available. Most will tell you that's the best option. BTW, my pump died, hence the necessity of replacing.

@Devils Paw 80, I read your thread from September. So far no one can tell me that the $300 OEM fuel pump is better quality that the OE denso?
The Delphi FE0204 seems like a good option at half the price, and if it’s really made in Japan thats a bonus. What I understand is that the Delphi is shorter that OEM (like in my photo above) but is not an issue?

@Devils Paw 80, I read your thread from September. So far no one can tell me that the $300 OEM fuel pump is better quality that the OE denso?
The Delphi FE0204 seems like a good option at half the price, and if it’s really made in Japan thats a bonus. What I understand is that the Delphi is shorter that OEM (like in my photo above) but is not an issue?
Correct. The shorter length is not an issue. The electrical plug wiring is long enough to reach without modification.

A few of the LS swap folks have used Denso 950-0266 ( me included ). order on Amazon right now for $115. Pretty much plug and play for a FZJ fuel tank pump. Buy 3 for the price of OEM😁!

For a V8 4Runner.

Last edited:
A few of the LS swap folks have used Denso 950-0266 ( me included ). order on Amazon right now for $115. Pretty much plug and play for a FZJ fuel tank pump. Buy 3 for the price of OEM😁!

For a V8 4Runner.

I did the same. If I remember correctly the plug from the old pump had to be swiched to the new pump. Other then that fit like OEM.

"So far no one can tell me that the $300 OEM fuel pump is better quality that the OE denso"

The original Fuel pumps were not made by Denso, they were made by AISAN. IDK however if current production OEM/Toyota pumps for an FZJ80 are still made by AISAN, a parts guru @OGBeno may know.

I had the same question years ago when going through the decision whether to buy the Toyota Fuel pump or the Denso Aftermarket part. At that time I talked to someone at Denso who they said that their Aftermarket line of Denso pumps Made in Japan are made in the same factory, in the same production line, to the same standards than any pump that goes into a new vehicle. Only difference they said was that the aftermarket Denso pump may have a different (wider) psi range as it may be designed to work in more than one model/engine type.

FWIW and IME the Denso pump Made in Japan works, so if money is tight IMHO you can't go wrong with a Made in Japan Denso (if you can find a source for the correct pump).

On the other hand, if it came down to any made in Chynah pump versus a made in Japan pump, I'd lean toward the Japan pump (or OEM from Partsouq or Amayama if you aren't in a hurry and want to save a few dollars). Although with shipping from overseas the final price is not that much different than buying from US sources.

Last edited:
"

On the other hand, if it came down to any made in Chynah pump versus a made in Japan pump, I'd lean toward the Japan pump..
The Denso pump part# I originally ordered from Amazon showed China as location of manufacture. I believe most Denso pumps are now manufactured in China.

The Delphi pump says manufactured in Japan. Amazon product ASIN B001QUFAM6

Last edited:
I'm not a parts expert, but IME seems like many large manufacturers make their parts all over the world, one Denso pump part number might be made in Japan, another Denso part may be made in Cynuh, and a third Denso pump part might be made in Thailand. All Denso parts but made in three different countries.

One other thing to check, was the part a genuine Denso part??

FWIW some manufacturers seem to be moving production out of Chynuh, which could be a good thing IMO.

If given the choice between a Made in Japan part or Made in Chynuh, personally I'd pay extra for the OEM Made in Japan part.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom