What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (72 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That probably depends on how many people have asked him the difference between a Land Cruiser and a Land Rover that day.

I recently replaced my starter. The long span into the wheel well felt civilized and saved knuckles—the pinnacle of my mechanical aptitude.
68FBC89E-B8EE-41A3-A8B9-D2043BFBDA37.jpeg
6AB2958B-D6E6-4A42-9D6A-61A37047B279.jpeg

Well, I went to finish up the rear suspension bushing replacement and then this happened……..
😫😫😑
I had to remove each rear shock due to the clearance (which is tight) to get the lower control arm axle bolt out. Lower shock bolt snapped right off.
Extracting this snapped off bolt has turned into a small nightmare….
Still, I managed to get the right side lower control arm bushings pressed out and new bushings pressed in. The right side upper control arm is also out but I still need to press out the old and press in the new.
I might need psychiatric help on the long couch after this project is finally done.

IMG_9489.jpeg

IMG_9490.jpeg

My HDJ got an unwanted present for Christmas. Not sure what it was, but it very nearly.came through the windshield. Glass shards all over the passengers seat. Good thing I know a glass guy.

On the positive side I'll get to inspect the windshield frame.

It richoceted and hit the windfairing under the rack and knocked the paint off.

It was raining so i didnt see anything, but thought someone shot at me.

20231226_154526.jpg

20231227_132247.jpg

My HDJ got an unwanted present for Christmas. Not sure what it was, but it very nearly.came through the windshield. Glass shards all over the passengers seat. Good thing I know a glass guy.

On the positive side I'll get to inspect the windshield frame.

It richoceted and hit the windfairing under the rack and knocked the paint off.

It was raining so i didnt see anything, but thought someone shot at me.

View attachment 3518176

View attachment 3518177

There is a 99.9% chance poop would've come back out.

The other .1% is poop and pee

All,
the rear suspension bushings have all been replaced. The HF press did its job and despite constant adjustments for lining everything up correctly, it worked great. All control arms are reinstalled and everything just has to be torqued to spec per the FSM.
Sadly, the broken off bolt just doesn’t want to come out. I drilled all the way through the bolt (breaking several drill bits due to lack of experience) and the extractor tightens up on the bolt just fine. Except, the bolt won’t budge. Nada, nothing, zilch. I have used penetrating lube and finally broke down a bought a propane torch and applied heat. It still won’t budge. I am hesitant to use an impact drill on it as if something were to snap off inside the drilled hole, I would be screwed harder than a virgin on his or her wedding night but NOT in a good way. Not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions would be most welcome. It’s the bolt that fastens the bottom of the shock absorber to the axle. Thanks.

IMG_9491.jpeg

IMG_9498.jpeg

IMG_9500.jpeg

IMG_9499.jpeg

All,
the rear suspension bushings have all been replaced. The HF press did its job and despite constant adjustments for lining everything up correctly, it worked great. All control arms are reinstalled and everything just has to be torqued to spec per the FSM.
Sadly, the broken off bolt just doesn’t want to come out. I drilled all the way through the bolt (breaking several drill bits due to lack of experience) and the extractor tightens up on the bolt just fine. Except, the bolt won’t budge. Nada, nothing, zilch. I have used penetrating lube and finally broke down a bought a propane torch and applied heat. It still won’t budge. I am hesitant to use an impact drill on it as if something were to snap off inside the drilled hole, I would be screwed harder than a virgin on his or her wedding night but NOT in a good way. Not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions would be most welcome. It’s the bolt that fastens the bottom of the shock absorber to the axle. Thanks.

View attachment 3518443

View attachment 3518444

View attachment 3518445

View attachment 3518446
Have you tried something like a brass hammer on that mounting stud? After the penetrating oil and some heat, the vibration from the hammer taps should help get the oil to penetrate deeper and also be able to shake loose some of the remaining corrosion bond. Brass being the key since it is softer than the metal and shouldn't affect the geometry that the stud has (aka damage what a BFH would do), but as always don't get all barbaric. Oil, heat, some loving taps (repeat a decent amount of times) and she will come out with the extractor.

All,

View attachment 3518443

View attachment 3518444

View attachment 3518445

View attachment 3518446

Very common occurrence. Happened on my own truck plus two others I was working on. 2 were salvaged by ctr punch and drilling bigger tans bigger till threads seen. Then a dental pic to pull old bolt material out of threads. Tap/clean and add new bolt.

One required boss to be cut off and bolt to be added through back of mount. Then just used a nut to secure

Somewhere deep in the archives is a threaded boss someone added back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom