What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks really good, is it real leather or bonded leather? It would be nice to pull the stitching and do a baseball seam on it but it looks great.
Thanks! It’s genuine leather, not bonded.

92A86D33-BA02-490B-ADBB-B34DA0B08AFC.jpeg

A few more…
Also set up the VeePeak Bluetooth OBDII device ($30) and tethered it to my old iPhone and downloaded OBD Fusion ($9.99). Set it up next to my A-pillar 👍

The thing I like about the reader is that it has a MUCH SMALLER footprint than the other one I used with the Samsung Tab-A (10 inch).

Overall, very happy.

ALSO picked up a 4k trail cam and will post videos on the next run.

View attachment 3284558

View attachment 3284559

View attachment 3284565

View attachment 3284566

View attachment 3284570
I've been running a bluetooth OBDII for years now. I had one that was low profile but still didn't like it sticking out so I bought an extension that has a piggy back so I can leave the stock space alone and plug the reader on the extension out of the way. I use Android so the Torque app is excellent.

With some (mine at least) ODB2 bluetooth senders you can undo the 2 screws that hold the socket in place and then rotate the socket so that the sender fits under the cover while plugged in. See the photo below for how my socket/sender is oriented with this change. I put the screws back in, slipped over the side of the socket, to keep it secure in this position.

I've had my odb2 bluetooth sender tucked out of the way and the OG fuse panel cover in place like this for years with no issue. I only use Torque periodically, when towing or in hard conditions so am glad it's minimally invasive. When I have to get an inspection I can just move the port back into position and unplug the sender, which takes less than a minute.

Here's a picture:

20230329_101535.jpg

Last edited:
I've been running a bluetooth OBDII for years now. I had one that was low profile but still didn't like it sticking out so I bought an extension that has a piggy back so I can leave the stock space alone and plug the reader on the extension out of the way. I use Android so the Torque app is excellent.
I REALLY like the Torque Pro App but I was utilizing a larger android tablet that was situated down by the shifter...Wanted something more eye level so I opted to try y old iPhone. Yeah, I had to buy another reader (the other was Android only) but it was worth it.

I might look into the piggy back as I don't like having the fuse location open. It's an aesthetic thing 👍

I wanted to do this over the weekend.... View attachment 3285041
But my truck said no... such a prude!
Yeah, my old 1984 Tercel 4x4 Wagon was set up to do this...wasn't as comfortable as it looked but it helped out in a pinch!

Do the US model 80's allow the rear seats to recline like that? I've honestly never even tried 😳🤯

With some (mine at least) ODB2 bluetooth senders you can undo the 2 screws that hold the socket in place and then rotate the socket so that the sender fits under the cover while plugged in. See the photo below for how my socket/sender is oriented with this change. I put the screws back in, slipped over the side of the socket, to keep it secure in this position.

I've had my odb2 bluetooth sender tucked out of the way and the OG fuse panel cover in place like this for years with no issue. I only use Torque periodically, when towing or in hard conditions so am glad it's minimally invasive. When I have to get an inspection I can just move the port back into position and unplug the sender, which takes less than a minute.

Here's a picture:

View attachment 3285373
Oh, this is great! Thank you!

I wanted to do this over the weekend.... View attachment 3285041
But my truck said no... such a prude!

How do you "do" this? I had no idea this was even possible, is it?

Yeah, my old 1984 Tercel 4x4 Wagon was set up to do this...wasn't as comfortable as it looked but it helped out in a pinch!

Do the US model 80's allow the rear seats to recline like that? I've honestly never even tried 😳🤯
US spec 80 rear seats do not recline. There is a pretty simple mod to the hinge mechanism you can do to remedy that (just search the 80 series tech section for rear seat recline). But as has been said, it's not super comfy or useful for most people. It is "neat" though I guess...?

Last edited:
good write up here 👍

How do you "do" this? I had no idea this was even possible, is it?
Gain more room and comfort by making 2nd and 3rd row recline - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gain-more-room-and-comfort-by-making-2nd-and-3rd-row-recline.815613/

Google Bard AI engine had some good news...

IMG_9108.jpeg

Hmmm...

IMG_7951.jpeg

Hmmm. Add 2 cylinders and lose half a liter. New math?:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom