Gain more room and comfort by making 2nd and 3rd row recline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The other day I was taking my kids out in my 97 CE Cruiser and they were complaining that the 2nd and 3rd rows were not as comfortable. I was looking at them sitting back there, and it occurred to me that it was because of two things: 1) Reduced legroom and 2) Lack of the seat back reclining feature.

I was looking at my Cruiser and comparing it to our Previa mini-van, and I wondered - why is it that the Previa's seats all recline (all three rows) but the LC's doesn't?

I searched the web and found a thread that talked about how JDM LC seats DO recline. For reasons I don't understand, the US LCs do NOT have reclining seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows.

I figured that the engineers at Toyota are smart, and they would likely have done something really simple to keep the seats from reclining. I was right. As a result, I came up with a really simple mod that will make your 2nd and 3rd row seats on the FZJ80 recline, and it's even reversible!

I will detail what I did in a series of photos and posts...

Muddy1

Do a search on these but there are two mudders that sell the hinges you need in order to get the reclining you are looking for. It's about 3-4 years old.

Sequence:

1) Here's a photo of a 3rd row seat removed from the LC. Notice that the trim panel is attached to the seat with a screw. Remove the screw.

2) Once the screw is out, gently deform the slot that the seat fold lever goes through and work the trim piece completely off. Note that the bottom of the trim piece is held on to the hub of the joint mechanism by a little flange. You need to pull the trim piece parallel to the seat back and over the seat fold lever in order to detach the trim piece and get the trim piece off without damaging it. It's not too hard but you need to do a little bit of wiggling and manipulating.

IMG_3182.jpg
IMG_3169.jpg
IMG_3168.jpg

Do a search on these but there are two mudders that sell the hinges you need in order to get the reclining you are looking for. It's about 3-4 years old.
You don't need to buy hinges. You can mod your existing hinges... I'm doing a pictorial on how to do that. If you want to buy the hinges, then that's cool too.

Muddy1

I like your idea, will try it tonight on mine. Thanks for posting!

Once you have the trim panel off, you can actually remove the entire hinge mechanism and work on it on your workbench or vise, but this mod is so simple, I just left them in place.

3) Note that the hinge mechanism is "stopped" from reclining by the presence of a little steel pin. Just recline the seat to it's maximum setting, and you will see that the little pin stops the hinge from opening further. If you examine the ratcheting mechanism of the hinge, you will see that the mechanism is CLEARLY designed to recline a LOT farther than the pin will allow it to. Otherwise, there would be no reason for the ratchet mechanism to have so many teeth... it would be superfluous. Further, it is clear that removal of the pin would not cause any undue problems... it's clear that the mechanism WAS designed to recline, but that a pin was inserted to remove the capability.

IMG_3170.jpg
IMG_3171.jpg
IMG_3172.jpg
IMG_3173.jpg

Last edited:
You don't need to buy hinges. You can mod your existing hinges... I'm doing a pictorial on how to do that. If you want to buy the hinges, then that's cool too.

Muddy1

Sorry, didn't mean to muck up your thread. Also didn't realize you were coming at it from a different direction. Nice.

4) The stop pin appears to be a solid steel pin, possibly a kind of rivet that comes in two parts and connects (deforms?) in the middle. You'll notice in the photos that mine is kind of scraped up. That's because I tried to see if it would unscrew in the middle by using some pliers, since it was clearly made of two pieces.

5) Anyway, the mod is super-simple. I just used a metal cutting jigsaw blade on a slow setting, with a little cutting oil, and voila! I had that little stop pin cut out of there within 5 minutes.

6) I cut the pin as close to the "outboard" side of the hinge mechanism as possible. I then was able to pop the outboard side off and by loosening the bolts that hold the hinge on, I pulled the pin out. Ha ha! It reclines perfectly now!

IMG_3175.jpg IMG_3176.jpg IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg
7) And... here the seat is at maximum recline! I just tested this with my 12-year-old, and she is super happy! I added a gel seat cushion (to give her a little boost in height... i.e. MORE LEG ROOM by going more vertical) and with the recline, she now fits comfortably in the 3rd row! HOORAY for Dad! :)

Wow, that's a really great mod and right-up. My girl is 12, she will love this mod. Thanks!

Let me explain the end result... I had my 12-year-old daughter sit in the 3rd row, and I could see that her knees were actually pushing against the back of the 2nd row. By allowing the 3rd row to recline a bit more, and by adding the gel seat cushion, I was able to give her a more comfortable seating posture, and raise her up a little bit, so that she doesn't have to sit with her legs splayed to the side and feel completely mashed in the 3rd row. It has bought me some time... and alleviated the need for a larger vehicle at this point in time.

I am posting this because I can see that a lot of others may have the same dilemma if your kids are a bit older like mine. When the kids were really small this would have been no problem. This gives them a lot more comfort in the 3rd row seat!

BTW, I just took a quick look at the 2nd row, and it appears that the hinges are of the EXACT same design. I believe that I can do this mod on the 2nd row as well! Whoo-Hoo!

Muddy1

The third row already reclines. And yes just cut that pin and second row will recline, but not to pre-set settings like the third row.
If you don't use your third row seats swap out the hinges with the second row.
Hi bluetribal... OK, let me put it this way.. You are right. The 3rd does recline, but only a tiny bit. It is clear looking at the hinge mechanism that the designers have designed the hinge to be able to recline A LOT further than the stop pin without any undue problems. By removing the stop pin, you can allow the seats to recline to the maximum amount allowed in the design.

Sincerely,

Muddy1

Some of you might be encouraged to use this mod for date night.

Some of you might be encouraged to use this mod for date night.

Those of us that don't do "solo" date night prefer to remove the 3rd rows completely and just tumble the 2nd row forward. Your blow up bed should already be wired to inflate when "let's get it on" starts playing. The sound level of the music should be just so as to not hear the mini compressor kick on.

Last edited:
Do the 3rd row hinges interchange easily with the 2nd row? I won't be using my 3rd row seats... would definitely swap them onto the 2nd row seatd if it's a straight swap....?

I'm sure it's not designed to recline more in the USA due to what could happen in an accident. We have different safety requirements & 'criteria' to get better crash ratings. Personally, I don't think it'll make much of a difference w/a child in it but a 300lb. man, in an impact, can apply some amazing forces where the teeth on the hinge wouldn't hold but that metal pin can. Just my $.02. I want to do this to my 2nd row ( I don't own a 3rd row) so hopefully it works there too!!!

Those of us that don't do "solo" date night prefer to remove the 3rd rows completely and just tumble the 2nd row forward. Your blow up bed should already be wired to inflate when "let's get it on" starts playing. The sound level of the music should be just so as to not hear the mini compressor kick on.
hahahaa, well, you're one step ahead of some of us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom