What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (79 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engine back in after a long series of setbacks and distractions.

DA9C50A7-944F-433F-8D15-EF77C0D87574.jpeg

67B4CFB7-F365-433F-9691-AAAF201A3A87.jpeg

I think I see thanksgiving dinner :cool:

:edit: how challenging was it to remove and put back the engine while leaving the transmission in place? Would you do it again, or pull the tranny together if you had to do it over?

Finally received my 1FZ from Kyle over at Martin Davidson Machine Shop!

20221026_113001.jpg

Took a few days I had to source some miscellaneous clamps and gaskets..

This girl pretty much got the entire Toyota parts catalog :)

She's together and ready to drop in when we get a chance to winch her out from the side of the lot. Hopefully I can get it broken in and ready for snow! Didn't get a chance to snow wheel last year so fingers crossed.

20221107_101759.jpg

Once everything is said and done I will post up all the PN's of everything that has been replaced in this refresh.

Over the weekend I also received a 12" Spal pusher fan to mount up to my factory trans cooler along with a controller so it'll be controlled off my AC switch.
20221107_103258.jpg

Last piece is some fittings from Radium Engineering as well to adapt an oil catch can in place of the factory PCV setup on the 1FZ.

Last edited:
Got a cup holder adapter this weekend. Much better than the other options I have seen on the forum or owned in the past. It has an adjustable base that allows you to offset the cupholder. Fits perfectly in the small holder above the parking brake.

Brand is Swigzy, available on Amazon for $26.99. I got the short base version.

88378D47-3932-404F-AB7F-6A5DA04E48F3.jpeg

Fixed my oil pressure gauge.

It was working last week, then spontaneously stopped after I had been under the car and in the engine bay this week. Thanks to some forum googling, found where the small spade connector had popped off just behind the AC compressor.

Was surprised it was not the standard bombproof toyota connector. For all that Toyota does right - made me think a strong gust of wind could knock that one off!

Last edited:
Do you redirect the alternator to the "active balancers" for this? Otherwise I assume the alt would bypass the charge control
No. There are no need it. Alternator output voltage up to 14.8V.
The balancer checks the voltage difference between the cells and evens out the voltage. It works from 1.8 Volts to 4.5. Accuracy 0.05V, current up to 5A

Beware, their finish sucks and they oxidize very easy. To make it worse, when washed, the water doesn't drain out and it really blackens behind the rings if the water sits, especially if you don't get the soap completely out.
Hopefully the new owner never washes them and beats the crap out of them and problem solved!

Installed one on my speakers today, hope to finish up this week.. had to surface mount, but they fit.. just barely though. These are the Kicker 47KSS6504 components that can also run as coaxial mount. Plan to move the tweeter up high once I purchase the amplifier..

View attachment 3161302

View attachment 3161303

View attachment 3161304
I just finished mine and I ran the tweeters up in the space between the door and the dash. I was concerned that placement might block the sound but after moving and testing, if you move it just to the edge of the space the difference was pretty negligible. And it’s a plus it’s only visible when the door is open since JBL made them hunter orange.
With JBLs 2” mids in the dash location, it’s a complete non-issue unless you’re really a glutton for and want to see them on the A- pillar.

57394558-894C-45C0-B191-8BA8FE0A2117.jpeg

I just finished mine and I ran the tweeters up in the space between the door and the dash. I was concerned that placement might block the sound but after moving and testing, if you move it just to the edge of the space the difference was pretty negligible. And it’s a plus it’s only visible when the door is open since JBL made them hunter orange.
With JBLs 2” mids in the dash location, it’s a complete non-issue unless you’re really a glutton for and want to see them on the A- pillar.

View attachment 3163728
Nothing like some good tunes !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom