What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (74 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New issue has arisen. Truck keeps stalling on decel/overrun after getting on it a little bit. 1HD-FT Auto. Starts right back up. Also idling a bit high (right at 1000, 1050rpm) and fluctuating slightly. Same stalling issue in Park if I stab the throttle and let off.

Also a vibration on decel that's been present since I got it. I've suspected it's the driveshaft, haven't had a chance to get it in the air and confirm, but basically when braking it'll start shaking, if I ease back and brake lighter or just tap the throttle for a sec it'll settle and stop. Almost kind of feels like the front left is trying to lock up, though that wheel does have a bad bearing too. Fixing that bearing and replacing all brake pads and rotors shortly, though.

Thoughts?

Got a new project to work on! The first-ever electronic tcase parking brake for the 80 series by Boosted & Built Garage. Waited almost a year for this thing to get released. This was a big safety issue for me since I had to remove my parking brake when doing the rear suspension. There was no room for the factory parts given my coilover mounting and the damn thing was pretty much useless anyway.
I remember them pitching to bring this to market. Cant believe its already been a year! Excited to see you install and put it to the test. I'm in. Hoping there is a good TC plate solution that even protects this some if even needed and clearance above for a v8 conversion eventually. Get it on already! LOL
He did a great job walking thru the system on that video too.
Edit* the warning not to use in motion is interesting tho. Wondering if this has been tested and can it be used in an emergency? Kind of an important feature no?

Last edited:
Wondering if you (or anyone else who's replacing a rear bumper) would be interested in parting with some of your stock bumper components? I plan to stay stock but would like to replace a couple pieces. Namely the aluminum step plate and the left (U.S. driver side) plastic molding.

If so, PM me with price and approx shipping to 75089.

Thanks!
Wish you were local. Just pulled all my junk off and its sitting in a pile. No interest shipping, but if you have people out this way I can hand stuff off.

Got a new project to work on! The first-ever electronic tcase parking brake for the 80 series by Boosted & Built Garage. Waited almost a year for this thing to get released. This was a big safety issue for me since I had to remove my parking brake when doing the rear suspension. There was no room for the factory parts given my coilover mounting and the damn thing was pretty much useless anyway.

vmyg2bbh.jpg

cmaXQqFh.jpg

I like it! Any plans for a guard/armor to keep from bending the disc? I was looking at factory parts to redo my entire e-brake. This costs about the same so I may go this route.

Morning Mud :flipoff2:

The 1fz refresh is almost there...... I can't seem to leave anything alone I can touch which is a good thing.

I have a new complete wire harness and figured why should I connect that to the old transmission wire harness so I pulled it and refreshed it. Glad I did lots of the old casing was very brittle and disintegrating when touched.

I was bummed to find out today the window washer reservoir is nla..... I picked up an @Delta VS washer relocation kit and new battery tray. I wanted to get a new reservoir since everything under the hood will be new to keep that fresh new clean look.

I'll keep searching hopefully new reservoir pops up. I'm planning on using the second battery tray as storage for now as I don't think I need a second battery just yet.

PXL_20220429_015918925.jpg

20220501_204806-COLLAGE.jpg

20220501_193816-COLLAGE.jpg

Screenshot_20220501-204355.png

PXL_20220502_173946505.jpg

Morning Mud :flipoff2:

The 1fz refresh is almost there...... I can't seem to leave anything alone I can touch which is a good thing.

I have a new complete wire harness and figured why should I connect that to the old transmission wire harness so I pulled it and refreshed it. Glad I did lots of the old casing was very brittle and disintegrating when touched.

I was bummed to find out today the window washer reservoir is nla..... I picked up an @Delta VS washer relocation kit and new battery tray. I wanted to get a new reservoir since everything under the hood will be new to keep that fresh new clean look.

I'll keep searching hopefully new reservoir pops up. I'm planning on using the second battery tray as storage for now as I don't think I need a second battery just yet.

View attachment 3000145

View attachment 3000146

View attachment 3000147

View attachment 3000148

View attachment 3000149
The original tank is NLA, but there is another that is slightly smaller that fits in the same location.

I remember them pitching to bring this to market. Cant believe its already been a year! Excited to see you install and put it to the test. I'm in. Hoping there is a good TC plate solution that even protects this some if even needed and clearance above for a v8 conversion eventually. Get it on already! LOL
He did a great job walking thru the system on that video too.
Edit* the warning not to use in motion is interesting tho. Wondering if this has been tested and can it be used in an emergency? Kind of an important feature no?
I like it! Any plans for a guard/armor to keep from bending the disc? I was looking at factory parts to redo my entire e-brake. This costs about the same so I may go this route.

I have a crossmember for my rear links so the clearance is gonna be tight. Since I do have the crossmember there though, it should be easy to build a removable skid plate that protects the disc. Unfortunately the owner sent out an email yesterday saying there's been some issues with some components in the circuit board. He asked everybody to hold off on the wiring until he gets the new boards made. So I can install the hardware but will need to wait a bit to get it all functional.

Here's a screenshot from his video, you can see it doesn't hang down much lower than the tcase itself:

VJCfaMch.jpg

And here is my tcase with the crossmember right behind it:

3rddftph.jpg

Where are you located? I may be interested depending on if we're in proximity. Thanks!
I've got someone in front of you.

I'm north of Seattle

I have a crossmember for my rear links so the clearance is gonna be tight. Since I do have the crossmember there though, it should be easy to build a removable skid plate that protects the disc. Unfortunately the owner sent out an email yesterday saying there's been some issues with some components in the circuit board. He asked everybody to hold off on the wiring until he gets the new boards made. So I can install the hardware but will need to wait a bit to get it all functional.

Here's a screenshot from his video, you can see it doesn't hang down much lower than the tcase itself:

VJCfaMch.jpg

3rddftph.jpg
These are interesting to add.

Just for people to be aware, if you have an open differential and one tire is on ice (or slippery mud or loose gravel) the truck can still roll/move if you still run the viscous coupler or have the CDL unlocked.

I have used medium trucks with this type of driveline brake and they will slide if one wheel loses traction because the open differential allows the movement.

Probably not the case for @jcardona1 because of the added special things he has on his truck and he understands how and when to use it.

Just don't think you need to add this for the "cool factor" because it's not for everyone.

I know the older 40 series have these on the back of the transfer case as well. They also stopped doing them that way for a reason.

These are interesting to add.

Just for people to be aware, if you have an open differential and one tire is on ice (or slippery mud or loose gravel) the truck can still roll/move if you still run the viscous coupler or have the CDL unlocked.

I have used medium trucks with this type of driveline brake and they will slide if one wheel loses traction because the open differential allows the movement.

Probably not the case for @jcardona1 because of the added special things he has on his truck and he understands how and when to use it.

Just don't think you need to add this for the "cool factor" because it's not for everyone.

I know the older 40 series have these on the back of the transfer case as well. They also stopped doing them that way for a reason.

Yeah if I had a properly working parking brake I probably wouldn't bother. Even then, it seems like most factory parking brakes on these trucks can barely hold it still on flat ground, let alone on any sort of incline. With bigger tires and all the added weight, I don't think the factory brakes are doing much braking these days.

I forget who it was, but somebody retrofitted electronic parking brake calipers on their 80. That would be a really nice solution too but you need the custom brackets:

41A3SvOh.jpg

VJCfaMch.jpg

3rddftph.jpg
That's so sweet. Looks like it's tucked up and safe. It's an e-switch that activates (and deactivates) it?

That's so sweet. Looks like it's tucked up and safe. It's an e-switch that activates (and deactivates) it?

Yeah it's switch activated. He's got a really thorough video on the system. Towards the end you can see the switch operation and how it works in real life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom