What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (66 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For sure I will 99% be off-pavement. I have searched that area west of the visitor center as well. There are so many awesome MVUM(USFS) roads all over that area. As long as I bring extra gas I will be all good in my 80. thanks

Sounds like a fun trip. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area or run into problems out here.

Don't use RTV. It uses moisture to cure so it draws moisture to the area and can cause rust.

Viton washers are the best for up there because they can handle the UV and the heat generated on the roof.

It uses moisture to cure, but only what is already in the air. We use this stuff on axles and all over airplanes, all things we don’t want to corrode. It doesn’t make a puddle of water nor does it attract moisture once it’s cured.

From what I’ve read and been told, permatrx automotive RTV doesn’t give off acetic acid… whereas most household 100% silicone (the vinegar smell) does give off acetic acid which will cause corrosion. Definitely don’t use that.

Viton washers may work fine, but these are specific ozone and UV resistant silicone washers. EPDM would work too.

It uses moisture to cure, but only what is already in the air. We use this stuff on axles and all over airplanes, all things we don’t want to corrode. It doesn’t make a puddle of water nor does it attract moisture once it’s cured.

From what I’ve read and been told, permatrx automotive RTV doesn’t give off acetic acid… whereas most household 100% silicone (the vinegar smell) does give off acetic acid which will cause corrosion. Definitely don’t use that.

Viton washers may work fine, but these are specific ozone and UV resistant silicone washers. EPDM would work too.
Time to part out your cruiser. I’ll take everything.

There was basically no rust under the 80 which was very surprising given the PO lived in a beach holiday town and used it primarily for beach driving. Nonetheless I used rust remover to wash back to bare steel in the few spots there were, painted over, then coated the entire underside in lanolin. Gross job, but hopefully will last many years. PO must have used fish oil or lanolin for the chassis to be in such good nick. Its super satisfying seeing how clean it came out...
20220323_091652.jpg
20220323_091628.jpg
20220323_091613.jpg

Still some touch ups to do here and there but it's better than before

20220314_134706.jpg
20220121_163907.jpg

Did my 3rd PHH on my 3rd 80. I only do the by-pass method now. Much more enjoyable in my opinion. Replaced the heater control valve and its hoses as well.

D9B83A8F-9092-4489-860B-3FD0C102FCDF.jpeg

Lanolin? Like sheep's wool?

In Australia most people don't even have to bother with coating their undercarriage. They have so many sheep running around over there that they just run a few over every couple of months and call it good.

Finished my 13 day mojave/dv trip by returning home yesterday. Tons of video and pics, will have to sort things and do my standard trip writeup when I get some time.

Anyhow, just a few more pics from the trip.

Mengel pass cairn.

meng1.jpg

View back into butte valley from mengel pass. Bunch of rocky L4 stuff to climb (from the butte direction) and then it's just a dirt road till you exit goler wash on the west side.

meng2.jpg

View from Galena Mine/Canyon. Camped up there and had my 2nd shower :)

gal1.jpg

Many days later, did the lippincot road from the hot springs to racetrack direction. After having done a bunch of other sketchy shelf roads, lippincot seemed to me just a normal road with a few rocks here and there. Great views.

lip1.jpg

Bumped into a socal cruiser group and hung out with with them on/off for a couple of days. Was fun. Here we're at the south end of the racetrack and they are figuring out where to camp for the evening, the one problem of a larger group is finding a spot that is nice, large enough, out of the wind.

socal1.jpg

cheers,
george.

The transmission has been acting funky for a week or two. Delayed shifts, torque converter shudders etc. Thursday night I didn't know if it was gonna make it home. Bad shuddering and starting to slip. Called the local guy who used to be a Toyota master tech. He asked about the fluid and I told him it was topped off and the fluid looks like it just came out of the bottle yesterday. He suggested putting a tube of Lubegard Shudder Fixx in it. Might not help but wouldn't hurt anything. Sounds like the torque converter might be on its way out either way. I trust him but I was still skeptical so I call the local transition shop that rebuilt a Tahoe transmission for me a few years back. Didn't mention the advice I'd already gotten, just described the situation. After he raced about the greatness of the 80 series transmissions and the overall platform for a minute or two he gave me the same advice but went a little further. He said even though the fluid looks good, put a tube in and drive it 25-30 miles. If it's doing better, go ahead and do a fluid change and add a bottle of Lubegard ATF Protecting as well as a tube of the Shudder Fixx. He's seen these transmissions go 700k+ miles with no major work and he doubts there's anything seriously wrong internally even given the mileage (382k) since all of those miles are light duty highway miles. But yeah, after doing this when it starts shuddering again it's time to replace that torque converter.

So that's what I did this weekend. Did some spirited driving then flushed a tranny and refilled with the suggested additives. It's driving as good as new. Since I'm potentially planning an LS drivetrain swap in the next year or two and this thing only sees about 5k miles a year this approach makes since for the time being.

There was basically no rust under the 80 which was very surprising given the PO lived in a beach holiday town and used it primarily for beach driving. Nonetheless I used rust remover to wash back to bare steel in the few spots there were, painted over, then coated the entire underside in lanolin. Gross job, but hopefully will last many years. PO must have used fish oil or lanolin for the chassis to be in such good nick. Its super satisfying seeing how clean it came out...
View attachment 2960364View attachment 2960365View attachment 2960366
Still some touch ups to do here and there but it's better than before

View attachment 2960367View attachment 2960368
Nicely done! I did the same thing to my 80. I bought it in Minnesota (where I live) but it came from Colorado and was really clean. The first thing I did was hot pressure was the undercarriage and fluid filmed (verb :)) the hell out of it. I do it every fall and it's preserved beautifully.

In Australia most people don't even have to bother with coating their undercarriage. They have so many sheep running around over there that they just run a few over every couple of months and call it good.
You're thinking of our cousins across the pond, the kiwis. Don't ask why their belt buckles are coated in lanolin....

You're thinking of our cousins across the pond, the kiwis. Don't ask why their belt buckles are coated in lanolin....

Probably the same reason they always wear big rubber muck boots.....

Finishing up the rear conversion into a mini camper, of sorts.

Cubby system is done and top sleeping platform will be finished in the next week or so. Would love a drawer system, but they're incredibly expensive and I'm no carpenter. Instead, spending a few weekends with the old man and basic woodworking seems to have done the trick.

3/4" maple ply, 2x8 supports, and leftover 4x4 posts with shims for leveling - turned out pretty decent!

20220320_200415.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom