What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (99 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Although there are lots of people who say no fuel gains are seen with a part time kit, I feel like it could play a role in my good fuel efficiency. Less than 120,000 on the odometer and lots of maintenance could also be the cause. It is hard for me to say because I never got to drive the rig before and after the part time kit.
Better mileage than the original sales sticker said you’d get on day one? How’s life?

Time to start getting it back together ... Step 1 ... channel your inner @Onur. Pretty sure I made someone's month at McGeorge Toyota.
View attachment 2439310

Took care of the oil cooler. New oil pressure unit was added.
View attachment 2439311

Water pump ... check
View attachment 2439317

Learned a HARD lesson about exhaust when I couldn't get the O2 sensor to seat properly. Mock up EVERYTHING before install. These little pieces of slag cost me a morning of removing the installed pipe, finding the issue and then re-installing the pipe.
View attachment 2439312

Took a Saturday and headed north to do some trails in the Cammo truck. Only three of us and this was one of the few pics.
View attachment 2439313
Was there a problem with the oil cooler? Mine has never been removed at 302k, as far as I know. Was yours gunked up?

Was there a problem with the oil cooler? Mine has never been removed at 302k, as far as I know. Was yours gunked up?
I replaced my oil cooler seals recently when I was doing the head gasket @288k. It wasn’t as gross in there as I thought it would be.

In other news, today I finished mounting my Ironman 4x4 tent on the 80. Pretty happy with it, excited to get some use out of it this fall.

E076FC87-702F-41BE-8FAE-9513C6813460.jpeg

57BFDD23-1511-443B-BE62-85FAC5266553.jpeg

Time to start getting it back together ... Step 1 ... channel your inner @Onur. Pretty sure I made someone's month at McGeorge Toyota.
View attachment 2439310

Took care of the oil cooler. New oil pressure unit was added.
View attachment 2439311

Water pump ... check
View attachment 2439317

Learned a HARD lesson about exhaust when I couldn't get the O2 sensor to seat properly. Mock up EVERYTHING before install. These little pieces of slag cost me a morning of removing the installed pipe, finding the issue and then re-installing the pipe.
View attachment 2439312

Took a Saturday and headed north to do some trails in the Cammo truck. Only three of us and this was one of the few pics.
View attachment 2439313
Where di you order the Heat Shield from. Mine is looking Shabby!

Where di you order the Heat Shield from. Mine is looking Shabby!

17167-66040 and 17168-66020 ... ~$140 for the pair, make sure to order 6 of the bolts as well 90119-A0109

@baldilocks - More as a full preventative measure since getting to it later would be a PITA. It was good getting it all cleaned out just the same. There are very small oil holes in the cooler that could get blocked off. The pressure unit took 2 days to get the wiring harness clip to release. It was rusted in tight.

Before pic
20200818_114359[1].jpg

Cooler before cleaning
20200818_120723[1].jpg

20200818_120719[1].jpg

Pressure unit was basically a rust ball
20200818_112001[1].jpg

@Heckraiser ... Thanks. I brought it home from one of the restaurants after 3 of us were moving it outside on a sidewalk once. We hit a crack and it started to wobble. All three of us yelled "I got it" and then it tipped over and broke the middle pane of glass on a 3 pane glass door. Now it is the beer and leftover fridge in the garage.

20200818_112001[1].jpg

20200818_114359[1].jpg

20200818_120723[1].jpg

20200818_120719[1].jpg

Got the hardware i needed from town and threw on the fan shroud will all the missing studs and nuts for the clutch to fan and clutch to water pump! noticed the fan was just brazing the lower part of the fan shroud, just one blade barely touching. Let it idle a little while and made sure all was good, ok now to test highway and see improved temps! get to next town over and some dude on a bike is pointing at me! i was like what is going on make my left look in my mirror and i see it, loads of coolant all over the roadway. Pullover on some side road to asses, friggen fan has sliced away around 6 channels in my radiator! argggg!! i guess the fan caught some weird way and went backward into my rad! tired the old pinching the channels method that ive had to do on crusiers in the past but no good as it sliced them right at the base, swapped out the fan for my old supercharged fan that luckily I still had in the trunk, threw some rilson head gasket fix in and filled it up with water, she was still pissing but a little slower and i only had 20ish KM to get home! make it 5Km and temps are around 250 so i shut it off on the highway and coast to a stop let it cool and repeat till i finally get it limped home!

Wondering what people's opinions on rad replacement is? i know land cruiser phil has a nice one but would stick OEM or try something performance-oriented for the SC? ive always just used Koyo in the past if my memory is correct!

@BILT4ME looks like a cleaning isn't necessary as ill just replace it now haha

IMG_1490 2.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

Drained my rear diff and refilled with fresh oil. Pulled the starter and cleaned the contacts. No workie. Ordering contacts and plunger.

Im doing some drawing and measuring. I have a hairbrained idea about bolting an fj40 bumper on my 80.

You could always do a piece of channel. It’s about as basic as it comes but strong as hell.

6” tall fits nicely over the frame rails.

0890EF01-A565-4BB7-8B2C-B7968B2F0A12.jpeg

Got the hardware i needed from town and threw on the fan shroud will all the missing studs and nuts for the clutch to fan and clutch to water pump! noticed the fan was just brazing the lower part of the fan shroud, just one blade barely touching. Let it idle a little while and made sure all was good, ok now to test highway and see improved temps! get to next town over and some dude on a bike is pointing at me! i was like what is going on make my left look in my mirror and i see it, loads of coolant all over the roadway. Pullover on some side road to asses, friggen fan has sliced away around 6 channels in my radiator! argggg!! i guess the fan caught some weird way and went backward into my rad! tired the old pinching the channels method that ive had to do on crusiers in the past but no good as it sliced them right at the base, swapped out the fan for my old supercharged fan that luckily I still had in the trunk, threw some rilson head gasket fix in and filled it up with water, she was still pissing but a little slower and i only had 20ish KM to get home! make it 5Km and temps are around 250 so i shut it off on the highway and coast to a stop let it cool and repeat till i finally get it limped home!

Wondering what people's opinions on rad replacement is? i know land cruiser phil has a nice one but would stick OEM or try something performance-oriented for the SC? ive always just used Koyo in the past if my memory is correct!

@BILT4ME looks like a cleaning isn't necessary as ill just replace it now haha

View attachment 2440012View attachment 2440014View attachment 2440015
View attachment 2440016
View attachment 2440018

I reached out to Ron Davis a few months ago and their rad is about $1100.00 after shipping.

I’ll do this in the future but food for thought.

Costs more than the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom