What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (44 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started to troubleshoot an issue with my roofrack lights. There are 2 separate circuits and both were impacted so immediately suspected a bad earth.
The three 6AWG (2 separate +ve feeds and 1 -ve feed) are part of a harness I made that routes up through the snorkel to get to the roof.
This is what I found when I opened the harness.
View attachment 2252991
I can't remember ever seeing this level of corrosion. The 3 cables at this area had a cable shield and marine heat shrink with no external evidence of damage.
It's been up there less than a year. Not sure what would cause this level of electrical corrosion.
I agree with what's been recommended so far with using nice marine tinned copper wire and such. Another suggestion would be to make sure you have equal or larger gauge ground wires to match your power wires - your 1 ground cable to 2 power cables ratio is not a good one. Better to have more and bigger grounds than to not have enough. Too small of a ground path can cause lots of problems (excess heat (fire!), poor accessory function, etc.) - especially with a long run like yours on a roof rack.

I'm definitely going with the marine cable. I think I will also add a second ground cable. Originally I had thought the body ground and the single ground cable would have been sufficient. I won't make that mistake next time for sure.

Went solar on the Prinsu. Gotta love extrusion bars.

View attachment 2250831

View attachment 2250832
I didn’t realize this however, the old Jackery 240s were limited to an input of 44 watts. Once I got to moving and driving the truck around I saw it getting close to 70 watts. After contacting Jackery, I was informed that without making a big deal about the upgrade, newer ones can charge at up to 80 watts. Impressive.

from the service rep: “if you’ve purchased one recently, you have an 80 watt model, the 44 watt models are no longer available”.

Thanks to @richardlillard1, @inkpot and @Stikboy9480 for getting some stuff done:
Adjustable upper control arms

Bushings on the panhard

Corrected rear pinion angle

Tightened Loose body mount

looks
Like I’ll need some new shocks too, mine are shot.

Dobinsons or Icons are my choices today?

6D8B4961-6DB5-411E-9EEA-F95A14132208.jpeg

Ordered new carpet from Stock Interiors. It'll be interesting so see if that gets here before the Precision Fit seat covers I ordered back on March 2nd. Ordered some other bits and pieces I need to complete adding USB and 120v power in the truck. I was going to replace the upper liftgate because of a hole that rusted through and I notices some bubbling right around the window seal. Found one in classifieds but Fastenal has suspended shipping for COVID19 bs and the other options were at least 1.5x the price of the used liftgate so I had to nix that one. Decided to repair mine so ordered a new glass seal. Guess I'll be doing a little body work while working remotely.

Anybody else who is on lockdown or being told to work remotely notice your to-do list for the Cruiser getting significantly larger? It's getting expensive will the extra time I have. :rofl:

I am worried as to why the pump failed. Its like it had too much pressure. It was basically poring coolant out the weep hole. The radiator cap is new and the overflow line is unclogged. Only thing I can think is that it had a bad air bubble that steamed off or something. Waterpump and thermostat housing gaskets were nasty.
The weep hole is there to let you know that the seal is leaking before you have a catastrophic failure. There is likely no other problem.

6 years :rolleyes: after bolting the Harbor Freight 12k winch onto our '80, we finally got to use it to pull a new-ish F150 out of the soup in Sycamore Creek northeast of Phoenix. Was quite a production, too: 85 feet of line all the way out (and my line lock on the drum held just fine) plus 95 feet of extension (from my K5, no-name Amazon kind of 3/8" synthetic) to reach the stuck truck (..."Oh yeah, it's fully locked!!" - "So how come the right front doesn't turn?" - "Oh..."), and a strap in the back to my old K5 to anchor the Cruiser on the dry creek bed so the winch wouldn't just pull the Cruiser forward. Sorry, no pix, too busy. Slow going, but the winch did it's job and pulled the truck out. Needed a couple of resets to re-spool the line evenly, and then when the truck got stuck again closer to shore we swapped to the 30-foot extension which normally lives in the back of the 80 to get back down to the first layer on the drum. Got the truck all the way out, and then spent a good hour on Sunday cleaning all the sand out of all the lines...

Originally, I screwed the tread plate on just as a replacement and as a solid standing platform when accessing my roof rack.
Couldnt leave well enough alone. Had some rivets, a continuous hinge and some rare-earth magnets laying around. The challenge today was to stay home and work with whatever hardware I have lying around. Mission accomplished!

CCD8EA7F-1202-4CE8-A54C-AFBFCCDE7C6D.jpeg

98BF0480-6DD1-4BC4-91BF-CD9B28655255.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes if came like that out of the box. Just bought it through eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom