What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (36 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had an 80 series trip last weekend thru Utah backcountry. Thanks to @DanMedeiros for setting the date, @Box Rocket for the tracks, @LandCruiserPhil for leading the route and @Hyup for making it out last minute too! We had a rad 7 days!!
2A3B3DA5-8108-496C-AA10-0E2EEB985453.jpeg
7739C1D6-55D9-43AD-A291-E69F3AF31461.jpeg
6EFE3143-FD3C-478E-8FE7-D8F4F7240695.jpeg
82641337-EF2B-4A54-8292-5EC498243503.jpeg
56583BFA-A4F2-491D-A54F-940436DD1F77.jpeg

Steering rod ends. Purchased through Cruiser Outfitters. Good product, good service.
I noticed a torn boot a while back and figured I'd change them all before an alignment, but they were all in good shape and I'm pretty sure they were original. Love this southern CA rig: two of the four spun out without even touching a pipe wrench. The other two needed a good talkin' to.

IMG_6937.jpeg

60539985845__80685751-1EAD-475F-9640-C43A9F61C06B.jpeg

60539988096__310B256C-D0B0-4189-85AC-72237DF44089.jpeg

IMG_6943.jpeg

Steering rod ends. Purchased through Cruiser Outfitters. Good product, good service.
I noticed a torn boot a while back and figured I'd change them all before an alignment, but they were all in good shape and I'm pretty sure they were original. Love this southern CA rig: two of the four spun out without even touching a pipe wrench. The other two needed a good talkin' to.

View attachment 2233399

View attachment 2233400

View attachment 2233401

View attachment 2233402
Those in the rust belt will tell you to paint those rod ends, ASAP.

(I still haven't painted mine yet)

what the hell is that!!!??? o_O:D
NILGAI ANTELOPE. Nilgai antelope (Boselaphus tragocamelus Pallas) were apparently brought to the United States from India as zoo animals before the mid-1920s and were released in South Texas about 1930.

Nilgai hunting in S TexasView attachment 2232668
Nice one! You can tell by the color and body scars that this one has been around a while. I shot mine in 2002 on the Kennedy ranch. It weighed over 600 lbs before field dressing. Tastier than an elk. Really good eating and a lot of it.

NILGAI ANTELOPE. Nilgai antelope (Boselaphus tragocamelus Pallas) were apparently brought to the United States from India as zoo animals before the mid-1920s and were released in South Texas about 1930.
Nice one! You can tell by the color and body scars that this one has been around a while. I shot mine in 2002 on the Kennedy ranch. It weighed over 600 lbs before field dressing. Tastier than an elk. Really good eating and a lot of it.
Great tasting meat.

Nilgai were introduced to S Texas in the 30’s to supplement the cattle business. They were a bit more draught tolerant than traditional cattle breeds at that time. The project was abandoned in the early 50’s.

Yes he was an old bull and a lot of meat. We buy very little meat from the store. S Texas is hurting for water. The animals are starting to show it. Our lease in Rocksprings is dry as well. We finally finished running water lines to a few small troughs to supplement water

View attachment 2233399

View attachment 2233400

View attachment 2233401

View attachment 2233402
What size lift is that you are using there?

More snow wheeling...

Drove up north on friday to hit some heavy deep snow. 80 did great until it breaks thru hard pack and it's game over.

20200306_132635.jpg

digging to try recovery boards here. It was cool to see 4-wheels spinning with everything locked while engine was idling, haha.. winched out of here.

received_214421242946113.jpeg

and then took the family out the weekend to hit the slopes.

20200307_113816.jpg

So yeah we are enjoying the last bits of snow left on the ground.

Got my Nitro chromoly front axles/birfs installed over the weekend. Was WAY more messy than normal since I was also resealing the front diff and troubleshooting a front locker that wasn't working. Had to pull the diff actuator and lock the diff manually to get the diff to come out. Was a good move anyway since I found that there was a busted plug on the actuator. Fortunately I have a spare locking diff so I pulled the actuator from that diff and will R&R the bad plug as I have time.

I must have had a bit of water intrusion in the front end because the gear oil was very thick. Was incredibly messy and took a while to get the axle tubes cleaned out since the tubes wouldn't drain since the oil was so thick. All good in the end.

Used a Wits End knuckle stud kit with new cone washers/washers and nuts. Tried out the new "nut huggers" too. This should take care of the last leak I needed to address.
Front axle service by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Got my Nitro chromoly front axles/birfs installed over the weekend. Was WAY more messy than normal since I was also resealing the front diff and troubleshooting a front locker that wasn't working. Had to pull the diff actuator and lock the diff manually to get the diff to come out. Was a good move anyway since I found that there was a busted plug on the actuator. Fortunately I have a spare locking diff so I pulled the actuator from that diff and will R&R the bad plug as I have time.

I must have had a bit of water intrusion in the front end because the gear oil was very thick. Was incredibly messy and took a while to get the axle tubes cleaned out since the tubes wouldn't drain since the oil was so thick. All good in the end.

Used a Wits End knuckle stud kit with new cone washers/washers and nuts. Tried out the new "nut huggers" too. This should take care of the last leak I needed to address.

I am looking to rebuild my knuckles soon too. Great choice on doing the Wits End stud kit. I am thinking when I rebuild my knuckes I will do those "nut huggers" too. But I am trying to save up some money for aftermarket axles and do the re-gear all at once.

What size lift is that you are using there?
I think it's called 2", but it's more than that light. I'm planning on a front bumper & winch plus 33" tires. The Dobies are C59-222V and C59-223V from:
Dobinsons Spring & Suspension USA
10307 NW 62nd St
Doral, FL 33178 USA

305-424-8353

I am looking to rebuild my knuckles soon too. Great choice on doing the Wits End stud kit. I am thinking when I rebuild my knuckes I will do those "nut huggers" too. But I am trying to save up some money for aftermarket axles and do the re-gear all at once.
Which aftermarket axles are you referring to? Just curious because I had my old unlocked axles swapped with locked axles from a donor and regeared to 4.88's.

Great tasting meat.

Nilgai were introduced to S Texas in the 30’s to supplement the cattle business. They were a bit more draught tolerant than traditional cattle breeds at that time. The project was abandoned in the early 50’s.

Yes he was an old bull and a lot of meat. We buy very little meat from the store. S Texas is hurting for water. The animals are starting to show it. Our lease in Rocksprings is dry as well. We finally finished running water lines to a few small troughs to supplement water

I have hunted all over Texas including north (Red River), west (San Angelo & Sanderson), south (King Ranch, Kennedy Ranch & Webb County) and the Hill country (many places). I have seen some pretty bad droughts over the years where the dirt was like talc. We lost a lot of trees (I heard 1 billion) in the last bad drought. Wasn't aware we were in another one down south. Sorry to hear it. Let's hope for a wet spring.

Maintenance.

Exchanged 5 quarts of transmission fluid - preferred method: vacuum pump through dipstick tube.

Greased all u-joints and front double cardan. Used my M12 grease gun with Lock-N-Lube coupler.

good tools make life easier!

View attachment 2233132View attachment 2233133

Hey, did you DIY a longer tube to reach all the way down to the trans pan? The stock one I got with my Mittyvac is way too short, and I don't see any reasonably cheap alternatives. Thanks!

Which aftermarket axles are you referring to? Just curious because I had my old unlocked axles swapped with locked axles from a donor and regeared to 4.88's.

I am looking at the Nitro Gun Drilled axles. If you go to the Nitros page and you goto the 3rd picture you can see the zirk fitting in the end of the axle. I looked at RCV but couldn't find anything similar to the Nitro axles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom