What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (55 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been running around in the woods. 18.5 mpg was the best I've got, 224 was the hottest it got over the Teton pass with the 10% grade...and on the way down had to stop because the brakes were fading to completely ineffective. Been running absolutely awesome!!
BTW...we need a big brake kit for these 80s!!!

IMG_20190902_121618-01.jpg

IMG_20190905_220456_112.jpg

IMG_20190902_122104-02.jpg

IMG_20190903_130256.jpg

IMG_20190903_162500.jpg

Been running around in the woods. 18.5 mpg was the best I've got, 224 was the hottest it got over the Teton pass with the 10% grade...and on the way down had to stop because the brakes were fading to completely ineffective. Been running absolutely awesome!!

View attachment 2077031

View attachment 2077032

View attachment 2077033

View attachment 2077034

View attachment 2077035

Gotta gear down for Teton pass! I made it in July without issue, but kept it in 1st and 2nd gear only.

Have I ever expressed my gratitude to all who have shared their collective wisdom and experience on this Forum??? Well... thank you!

Came out from a delicious dinner at Whataburger after having chemo today. My favorite food for barfing up in a few hours. TMI? Just wanna fully set the scene.

It’s about 100 degrees +\- in Tucson, hopped in the cruiser, started right up, cranked up the AC, selected some tunes for drive to hotel and...

Will NOT shift out of park. Can’t mash in the shift button. Crud!!! (Insert your own expletive here.) Will. Not. Shift.

Stop and think for a minute. These trannies are NOT prone to autonomous catastrophic failures. Must be something simple. Tried a couple things. No dice. Vaguely remember reading about that little square in front of shifter...

Luckily, in cell range. A couple searches later on Mud — turns out the magic words were “stuck shifter” — and I have a solution to get back to the hotel. Take off the little square. Insert a screwdriver and mash the override button. Et Voila! Shift away. But if you put it in park, you have to reinsert screwdriver. Note to self: Don’t put it back in park.

Make it to hotel. Read further in the thread. Checked the appropriate fuses. All good. Will require further diagnosis once I’m back home tomorrow.

Have I ever mentioned how grateful I am for this Forum !!!

Added a sticker and, to keep this Tech, noticed both outer rear knuckle nuts were a bit wet (same nut on each side). Any ideas why?

71F0AF12-20DC-429A-BAC9-639E14347978.jpeg
E2CED30C-1C5A-4112-BEAE-C1D727C355AF.jpeg

View attachment 2077031

View attachment 2077032

View attachment 2077033

View attachment 2077034

View attachment 2077035
yea a big brake kit is in the works, but it requires lots of machining and I dont really trust the guy doing it, so Im going hydroboost.

Have I ever expressed my gratitude to all who have shared their collective wisdom and experience on this Forum??? Well... thank you!

Came out from a delicious dinner at Whataburger after having chemo today. My favorite food for barfing up in a few hours. TMI? Just wanna fully set the scene.

It’s about 100 degrees +\- in Tucson, hopped in the cruiser, started right up, cranked up the AC, selected some tunes for drive to hotel and...

Will NOT shift out of park. Can’t mash in the shift button. Crud!!! (Insert your own expletive here.) Will. Not. Shift.

Stop and think for a minute. These trannies are NOT prone to autonomous catastrophic failures. Must be something simple. Tried a couple things. No dice. Vaguely remember reading about that little square in front of shifter...

Luckily, in cell range. A couple searches later on Mud — turns out the magic words were “stuck shifter” — and I have a solution to get back to the hotel. Take off the little square. Insert a screwdriver and mash the override button. Et Voila! Shift away. But if you put it in park, you have to reinsert screwdriver. Note to self: Don’t put it back in park.

Make it to hotel. Read further in the thread. Checked the appropriate fuses. All good. Will require further diagnosis once I’m back home tomorrow.

Have I ever mentioned how grateful I am for this Forum !!!

your not alone Ive read a lot of threads that didnt apply to me at the TIME, and down the road I could always recall random stuff, that I entcountered in my cruiser. whataburger is a good spot.

Had an awesome Labor Day weekend! Ended up being a nearly last minute decision to make the trip but my son and I joined Dave Connors and J Ralls for some dirt miles. I think I did about 850 miles over the weekend by the time I got home. Explored some spots that we already knew but took a few new roads we'd never been on. Considering that we've been exploring Utah backroads for 20+ years it's awesome to still find roads we haven't been on. The great thing is that there are still TONS of roads we haven't been on yet.
20190901035226_IMG_2132 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

20190901_132055 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

20190831_185847 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4328 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4302 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4292 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4274 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4281 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4400 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
Adam what camera you using? I just got a conon EOS R to finally get some sky shots.

Finished the rest of the baselining. Heres what I got done in the past 3 weeks:
  • Knuckle Rebuild
  • Evap Line Replacement
  • New tie rod ends and slee HD tie rod
  • Coolant bypass hose replacement
  • Pcv hoses/valve replaced
  • Brake booster hose replaced.
  • Extended breathers for front and rear axle.
A side question, is it worth extending the tranny/tcase breather hose?

BC4C7B72-E58F-4C72-A7B7-486C3437F12A.jpeg
8F451AD4-C840-4BFC-B2EE-E50CDFDFF10A.jpeg
5DFAEA05-D299-4075-890D-7E2A29CC7CF7.jpeg
A0AFA99F-70E6-4D8A-BAB9-6B73ED4C43F1.jpeg

Added a sticker and, to keep this Tech, noticed both outer rear knuckle nuts were a bit wet (same nut on each side). Any ideas why?

The wetness is actually the grease inside the knuckle or wheel bearings/hubs separating. Some brands of grease are worse than others. There is no seal in that area of the knuckle so it leaks. Just shows that you are not driving it enough to keep the greases mixed. 😕

It's a daily driver and has been from Va Bch to Cincy twice in the past month.

But good to know the source of the wetness. Used Mobile 1 grease in the hubs and Valvoline Palladium in the knuckles.

Edit: Thanks!

Finished the rest of the baselining. Heres what I got done in the past 3 weeks:
  • Knuckle Rebuild
  • Evap Line Replacement
  • New tie rod ends and slee HD tie rod
  • Coolant bypass hose replacement
  • Pcv hoses/valve replaced
  • Brake booster hose replaced.
  • Extended breathers for front and rear axle.
A side question, is it worth extending the tranny/tcase breather hose?

View attachment 2077719View attachment 2077720View attachment 2077721View attachment 2077722
Should flush that brake master fluid looks dark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom