What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes and no I agree with the simplicity of hardware. Another problem as you I find myself setting up camp after dark and ready a level in the dark PIA. I do like the thought of being able to find my perfect spot and just look at my ipad and know where and how many of blocks I need and where to be perfect. This would make for a one time leveling move. A mechanical level will tell you are off but not how much.

FitRV-LevelMate-Pro-Setup-360x640.png

TLX-10pack_1024x1024.jpg

I pulled the trigger on the LevelMatePro and Amazon was here the next day. This hardware and software set up is made to make your leveling of your vehicle easy and fast. This is something I find myself doing 50-75 times a year so Im excited.

Set up was fast and straight forward. I set my static level with the rear up ~1.5" because I prefer to have my head slightly elevated when sleeping.

Testing- Found an uneven spot much more than I would normally be off.

Blocks are rough 1.5" tall but one needs to take in account air pressure and ground condition.

Pulled up on the blocks

The results were great
With the static at 1.5" up in the rear I would still be happy only a .25" lower

Did a couple more test and the results were consistent and verified my reading with the level.

Where at in Iowegia?

Close to decorah
My roommate from college is in West Union. I'm originally from Okoboji.

@LS1FJ40 is in cedar rapids.

Nice score on the truck!

I pulled the trigger on the LevelMatePro and Amazon was here the next day. This hardware and software set up is made to make your leveling of your vehicle easy and fast. This is something I find myself doing 50-75 times a year so Im excited.

Set up was fast and straight forward. I set my static level with the rear up ~1.5" because I prefer to have my head slightly elevated when sleeping.

View attachment 1898202

Blocks are rough 1.5" tall but one needs to take in account air pressure and ground condition.

View attachment 1898207

Pulled up on the blocks
View attachment 1898209

The results were great

View attachment 1898210

Did a couple more test and the results were consistent and verified my reading with the level.

View attachment 1898224
It reminds me of the story Princess and the Pea...you'll always think you are unbalanced. LOL

My roommate from college is in West Union. I'm originally from Okoboji.

@LS1FJ40 is in cedar rapids.

Nice score on the truck!

Hey that's nice to know there's more of you guys around here. I wouldn't mind having one of you guys look over my ol lx450 some time and talk about some of the mechanical stuff on it.

Ya my brother and I bought an old grand marquis on ebay in okoboji kinda accidentally when I was about 15 so ya I've been there once way back then.

View attachment 1898202

View attachment 1898207

Pulled up on the blocks
View attachment 1898209

The results were great

View attachment 1898210

View attachment 1898224
What’s the actual device look like? How big is it? Runs on batteries or 12v? I looked it up on amazon and all they had were pictures of the app running.

My wife and I were headed up to central WI last weekend and saw this 40th anniversary 80 beside the road. Didn't have time to stop and beings it's in WI figured it must be a bit rusty as most are up here. So on our way home I stopped to take a look and found it to be a rust free truck. The gentleman that was selling it is from TX and had it here at his summer lake cabin so its completely rust free. Needless to say I couldn't resist and suddenly found myself driving it home.

View attachment 1898152

It is a 2 owner truck and has 244k miles but is completely stock and complete. It even still has the tool kit and jack.

View attachment 1898153View attachment 1898154

It appears the tool kit has never really been used. Someone that knows what's all supposed to be in those tool kits will have to tell me what's missing from it yet.

I would love to keep it but my brother has been hunting for one of these for some time so might end up letting him have it. For a northerner, it feels like a real lucky find. All for the price of $4000.

Score!

What’s the actual device look like? How big is it? Runs on batteries or 12v? I looked it up on amazon and all they had were pictures of the app running.
Ships with everything needed, installs on any plumb surface, simple set up with only the needed options.

Installed my lift (OME 2.5/3.5 Heavy Load) with the Super (boring) Bowl on in the background, removed the "brush guard" and changed the oil. If anyone needs a brush guard that is surprisingly stout or some Dobinson's front factory height springs and new OEM shocks hit me up.

Helped a friend recover his stolen truck......

Performed a brain transplant!

I swapped my factory early '93 ECU with a used '94 from a local Mudder (thanks again D). Now, I'm still waiting for the darn thing to re-learn and stop idling poorly, but that was always the case before so I'm optimistic. I wrapped up the old ECU along with a spare fusible link, new O2 sensor, some 10awg wire & connectors, and a handful of fuses in a gallon zip-lock and shoved them into the passenger side cubby in the rear. Nice to have a couple of mission-critical spares on hand no matter where I go.

Nothing difficult, or glamorous, but that's a big step in building my confidence to hit the road in a 25 year old truck for long trips to remote locations. I guess I should track down another starter to add to the parts stash. Anything else you folks would recommend for "don't leave home without it" parts?
After I swapped out my early 93 ECU over a year ago all has been well. I like to keep as many small Toyota parts in the truck as possible. Starter contacts and plunger, fusible links, fuses, relays, bolts, brake pads, hub studs and nuts, bearings, etc.
Admired her covered in snow in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Crazy!

View attachment 1898172
Crazy is right! I missed it by a few hours :bang:

Represented for the 80s out there by leading a group of Rams and Toyotas thru the desert for 5 days of trail and camping. The trip is going to be on an episode of an upcoming Netflix series, Brotherhood of Brew. Drove it hard and it handled everything great. With new 315s, the Icon 2.5s, replaced bushings and links, and regearing my t-case, the truck drove better than ever before!! Everybody was digging how well the 80 handles terrain and take charge, in comparison to their low mile, couple year old, $$$$$ rigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom