What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s funny. Fridge vs cooler is one of those things that people are pretty adamant one way or the other. I always used a cooler but made the switch to a fridge. Now that I have I will never go back to a cooler. I leave it in my truck, year round, filled with bottled water and Gatorade. Always have cold water.

Not saying a cooler is wrong, just not for me.

I bought a Canyon Cooler because the company is in Flagstaff, AZ (I like local companies). PRODUCTS

Zona

I'm like the least opinionated person on earth, but for some reason I really feel strongly about my fridge! haha ;)

I'm like the least opinionated person on earth, but for some reason I really feel strongly about my fridge! haha ;)
Haters gonna hate

annual ritual taken care of this week. Sure would be easier if I didn't try to keep my truck pretending to not be a complete pile. But each winter I end up trying to clean up my wheels from a years worth of rock rash. They were looking pretty rough again so I sanded them down to bare aluminum and resprayed them. They've been all black, but I was itching for a change. Used VHT wheel paint (The VHT paint has given the best results from my experience). Tried Duplicolor - hated it. Plastidip sucks on wheels. Rustoleum is decent. VHT has been the best IMO. I used Graphite color for the centers and Satin Black for the rock rings and hit the whole thing with a few coats of clear.

Nice change from the black.View attachment 1629720

View attachment 1629721

View attachment 1629722

View attachment 1629723

View attachment 1629724
Looks great!

Picked up 6 8ft redwood 4x4 posts to make a grape trellis. not wheeling but at least she gets to get out a bit.

0CEC3C7A-EF6D-460E-AE5B-D2C70D78738C.jpeg

I’m a Yeti guy myself. Have a 75 and a 35 that fits well in the 4x4Labs cargo basket on the swingout. Someone told me that I would freeze my food if I used dry ice when was prepping for a three week trip last fall so I use only water ice mostly in block form.

I put tie downs just inside the rear passenger doors on the vertical portion where the floor rises up to the second row seat platform. I then set the Yeti 75 right where the second row seat would be and strap it down. It never has to move because I made a water drain hose that extends past the door sill by drilling a hole in an extra drain plug and epoxying a clear vynil hose into it and of course plugging the other end too.

This keeps the weight mid-ship and the cooler accessible while motoring down the road.

The big Yeti does take up more space in the cab but it’s fool proof and the ice lasts an incredibly long time. I don’t think a fridge will ever be on my “to buy” list.
I loved the idea of a fridge, but after having 2, compared to the cooler, it just doesn't make sense for me. I eat freeze dried meals or fresh caught fish while traveling off pavement. Ice is for wifeys' veggies, beer, scotch, and when it melts, I have more water. I can find ice anywhere I can find fuel. And a full tank gets me 400 miles in my diesel. Just saying. But if someone built a much more efficient, and smaller fridge for my needs I would give it a shot. My opinion often changes with new info, always good to upgrade if it makes sense.

Last edited:
I’ve been doing the marine cooler with (4) frozen 1 gallon jugs in it. It stays cool for 4 days in the desert heat, but need the ability for easier/convenient options. Refreezing while in the road is not an option, can’t always find dry ice, and the ability to always have it available is what is pushing me towards a fridge. I get tired of having to go get the cooler and ice every time I go to the grocery store, I don’t live in town. And with the heat we get here I don’t like having my raw chicken cooking in the back.
Dry ice is a little tough to find, if I know I will be away from a source of regular ice for a while I use a block of it and reg ice on top. Good enuf for govt work. But yep, if you have to go out of your way all the time for ice, like you can't grab it with fuel, then a fridge might make sense for you. Keeping your goods as cool as you want as long as you need seems to be very fact specific. Just learned that here.

Last edited:
Picked up 6 8ft redwood 4x4 posts to make a grape trellis. not wheeling but at least she gets to get out a bit.

View attachment 1630031
4x4's have been one of the most useful and cheap items I own. From chocks to cribbing, plus a good jack or two, and things get done. oh, and yep, a grape trellis too, a really stout one.

Last edited:
Fixed the POs crappy patch job on the factory roof rack holes with a slightly less crappy fix. And drilled and extracted a broken stud out of the knuckle. Glad it’s out!

View attachment 1630054

View attachment 1630055

View attachment 1630056
I'm new to 80's, and mine has the stock rack on it, I yanked on it last night just for kicks and it seems decent. Besides doing a roof top tent or having to haul a bunch of stuff up top, is there any reason to get rid of mine (aesthetics aside)?
Is there just a mess of rust under there often or something else I'm missing? I expect my roof rack will just be used for fishing poles mostly. But seems stock roof racks get zero love here.

New oem speedo cable came in from toyotablahblahblah.com, and body bushings from 4Crawler. Great doing business with 4C, he helped me figure out what I needed patiently, responsively, and got the parts to me quick. So nice to deal with good merchants 1:1. Again, thanks to mud members for helping me sort it out. The membership has already paid for itself by saving me time and frustration. As we'd say in NY, "you is good people".

...Is there just a mess of rust under there often or something else I'm missing? I expect my roof rack will just be used for fishing poles mostly. But seems stock roof racks get zero love here.

Because the roof racks were a port/dealer installed accessory, the installations were not necessarily up to the same Toyota quality standards as the rest of the truck. Rust is often found around the nutserts that are holding it on and eventually that leads to leaks into the truck. For fishing poles, the carrying capacity is probably just fine, but there are a few stories I have read on here of the whole rack removing itself at highway speeds when a significant load was put on it and the original connections were rusted. Especially on a road salt exposed NY truck, I would at least pull it and check for rust under the feet.

As an example of poor installation quality, my LX "factory" rack was installed so that one of the front feet just barely contacted the sunroof gasket. I'm sure it was fine to get it out the door at the sale, but over time it wore a hole in the sunroof gasket and it became a leak point. Just not up to Toyota standards.

Because the roof racks were a port/dealer installed accessory, the installations were not necessarily up to the same Toyota quality standards as the rest of the truck. Rust is often found around the nutserts that are holding it on and eventually that leads to leaks into the truck. For fishing poles, the carrying capacity is probably just fine, but there are a few stories I have read on here of the whole rack removing itself at highway speeds when a significant load was put on it and the original connections were rusted. Especially on a road salt exposed NY truck, I would at least pull it and check for rust under the feet.

As an example of poor installation quality, my LX "factory" rack was installed so that one of the front feet just barely contacted the sunroof gasket. I'm sure it was fine to get it out the door at the sale, but over time it wore a hole in the sunroof gasket and it became a leak point. Just not up to Toyota standards.
Wow, thank you. Those are very sound reasons to at least pull it and check. There is certainly rust on my truck other places, so makes sense that it's a real issue. A stock roof rack pull and fix just bumped it's way up the list. I have good fishing gear, no way will I risk it, or anything else up there. Losing a roof rack at highway speed could do serious harm to other motorists too. Safety first.

Wow, thank you. Those are very sound reasons to at least pull it and check. There is certainly rust on my truck other places, so makes sense that it's a real issue. A stock roof rack pull and fix just bumped it's way up the list. I have good fishing gear, no way will I risk it, or anything else up there. Losing a roof rack at highway speed could do serious harm to other motorists too. Safety first.
Also check under the rear spoiler.

Took my rack off a few weeks ago as I was tired of cleaning snow off between the cross bars. Rust surprisingly wasn't too bad under the feet. Bought some short bolts same thread as the ones holding down with metal and rubber washers and some silicone sealant. Been holding up through snow and rain so far.

Saw this vid about 2 years ago. Interesting results.

I have an Orca chaser (double wall stainless "mug") and it has held ice water for over a day in normal environment and coffee hot in the cold almost all day.

They're all pretty close to the same IMO it just boils down to budget and brand preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom