What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (45 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to replacing my PHH on my 80 series land cruiser! It was a very pesky job indeed... it was such a tight spot to reach, I ended up lassoing it with a strap and pulling it out.
-The HPS silicon kit was great quality and came with most of the heater hoses that I needed to replace and all radiator replacement hoses (7 hoses total). Worked out great ! No more coolant leaks!

View attachment 1554670

View attachment 1554672

View attachment 1554673

View attachment 1554674
OK so let me be the bearer of bad news, I replaced all my hoses with HPS except for PHH I used gates green the HPS started to leak as soon as I started out on a 7500mile roundtrip thru the USA. they wont stay tight and will leak. I was warned and the warnings we real.

OK so let me be the bearer of bad news, I replaced all my hoses with HPS except for PHH I used gates green the HPS started to leak as soon as I started out on a 7500mile roundtrip thru the USA. they wont stay tight and will leak. I was warned and the warnings we real.
Glad you took the initiative...I didn't have it in me to say it.

How did you break a rear axle shaft, details plz?
4Byoutost saved me too a couple weeks ago with a new Woodys driveshaft, too bad they are closing down .

Sounds like a sweet setup! What alternator did you use?

I used a 2007 Sequoia 150a that I ordered thru.. www.densoproducts.com My original alternator was starting to show signs of failure during the warm weather we had. So to be ahead of the game.. I wanted to do it sooner than later. Bought the @Photoman kit a year or so back to have it on hand for the day when my 20yo alternator said "Adios". Kind of always dreaded the project. In the end it was really not all that bad as long as you hold your tongue just right when you try to put that larger alternator back in the hole that the smaller alternator came out of.

I found that freshly rendered pigs fat did wonders as well as a piece of duct tape over my mouth!

Got the ladder together. Next the tire carrier.

20171014_102244.jpg

Thank you for the heads up brother! I've been on a temporary hiatus transitioning from the military and starting a new job... So, it looks like I need to ask before I jump into the next project. It should've been a warning sign when I did my leak test around the block and had to tighten up three hoses. I know I've seen a few gates green hose kits from different vendors, would you suggest any specific website? Thx

Found the DS mirror spinning around in a very loose.
It turns out the spring retainer was out. Unable to compress the spring, tried hard till I busted the spindle. Took out the mirror assembly and ordered a new mirror from eBay $46.
It only comes in black (everywhere you buy it from) so I need to find out if I can replace the cover with the original one.
The electrical connector kicked my butt trying to get it out. Hardest part of the job so far.

Since I don't want to drive around with a hole in the door, I had to cut the wire and mount the brakes back without the mirror assembly. Meh.

-Put the Pioneer replacement speakers in. Ohh man they fit perfectly no mod required at all and fit straight in behind the factory grills. Lovin that clean sound again.
-New lift kit on, couldnt be happier (except.... i feel like i need bigger tires now and i just spent a fortune on tyres two weeks ago!)
-New contact vinyl for the paint fade on the bonnet and boot. Clear coat is back woot!
-New custom steel roof rack system, bit of weight but unbreakable
-Original VX mags have been recoated with chrome, well worth the $30 to bring them back to life

- If i get time today, replace the Head gasket so i can show off all these mods and drive down to the store for a gallon of milk

Found the DS mirror spinning around in a very loose.
It turns out the spring retainer was out. Unable to compress the spring, tried hard till I busted the spindle. Took out the mirror assembly and ordered a new mirror from eBay $46.
It only comes in black (everywhere you buy it from) so I need to find out if I can replace the cover with the original one.
The electrical connector kicked my butt trying to get it out. Hardest part of the job so far.

Since I don't want to drive around with a hole in the door, I had to cut the wire and mount the brakes back without the mirror assembly. Meh.
Did you get slightly convexed lens? well worth doing if you did for much better side vision

Did you get slightly convexed lens? well worth doing if you did for much better side vision

Not sure. Probably not. I can't say I am not satisfied by the OEM mirrors. My DD has far worse side mirrors, in terms of viewing angle.
I'll see what it looks like when it arrives.

@DrGil came over so we could do the install of his quarter panel mount, modified Viair 450C and associated wiring. Everything was mapped out on the wood exactly how I had envisioned it. Working on the flat surface of the tailgate gave me all the ease and freedom to think my options through. I decided to use the supplied wood screws to mount all the accessory bits except for the Viair. That used the stock hardware.

Gil decided he wanted the switch out of the way but accessible so we chose a spot above the D-Pillar at the top of the moulding. Everything is wired up for the most part but I ran out of 4awg lugs. Ugh.

E3C2AC8D-EB82-447F-ACFD-69965EECA55C.jpeg
CE785CE2-9B9A-4F28-9DEC-00B1BA1C95BB.jpeg
18867900-13E0-4D89-B63B-1A0754CCF645.jpeg
FC81125B-F537-42E3-BD31-C69BC2E23F4F.jpeg

1CB9E72A-4B23-4D09-82B8-1E6116D87B43.jpeg

Since moving to south georgia there arent any places within 3 hours to get into the woods and use the lockers, I'm ashamed to say its been 3 years since my truck has been in its natural habitat. This weekend there was a charity event at a park called River Rock 2 hours from the house thats been closed for several years, so i made it a point to be there. Its not like what you guys in the western states have to play in but it was a lot of fun no less.
DSC_0784.JPG
DSC_0928.JPG
DSC_0859.JPG
DSC_0748.JPG
DSC_0694.JPG

-Put the Pioneer replacement speakers in. Ohh man they fit perfectly no mod required at all and fit straight in behind the factory grills. Lovin that clean sound again.
-New lift kit on, couldnt be happier (except.... i feel like i need bigger tires now and i just spent a fortune on tyres two weeks ago!)
-New contact vinyl for the paint fade on the bonnet and boot. Clear coat is back woot!
-New custom steel roof rack system, bit of weight but unbreakable
-Original VX mags have been recoated with chrome, well worth the $30 to bring them back to life

- If i get time today, replace the Head gasket so i can show off all these mods and drive down to the store for a gallon of milk

WTH dude, where are the pics?

Since moving to south georgia there arent any places within 3 hours to get into the woods and use the lockers, I'm ashamed to say its been 3 years since my truck has been in its natural habitat. This weekend there was a charity event at a park called River Rock 2 hours from the house thats been closed for several years, so i made it a point to be there. Its not like what you guys in the western states have to play in but it was a lot of fun no less.
View attachment 1555107 View attachment 1555108 View attachment 1555109 View attachment 1555110 View attachment 1555111

That looks pretty dang fun to me.

It has been a great weekend for the old girl. She is getting lots of attention this week!

Started the weekend with new to me cloth seats, love them!!! Thanks @Atwalz! I probably saved close to 100lbs of weight.
IMG_7665.JPG

Installed just the metal piece of Wits's end rear panel, compressor, power meter and inverter are all in the garage waiting to be installed.
IMG_7666.JPG

And this week some big upgrades for the old girl are coming! Can't wait!

Btw anyone want a pair of 80's front power seats? They have been reskined with vinyl but they are Free!!!!

Last edited:

Interesting, I replaced all my smaller heater hoses with eBay silicon hose and phh was bypassed using that as well. So far no issues after 3-4 years, wonder why the HPS hoses would leak. Try just the sleeved clamps and ditch the expensive constant tension clamps, they are made for rubber hoses!!!

Interesting, I replaced all my smaller heater hoses with eBay silicon hose and phh was bypassed using that as well. So far no issues after 3-4 years, wonder why the HPS hoses would leak. Try just the sleeved clamps and ditch the expensive constant tension clamps, they are made for rubber hoses!!!
Thx. I used the HPS provided ss sleeved clamps and they seem to be holding up so far. I had to tighten 3 after the pressure test drive (may just have been my error) but seem to be holding up after a couple of weeks going back and forth to work. They're really great quality. We will see?

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

That spindle looks small compared to a lot of them I see. I new one will likely be a good upgrade, but you might consider a double shear design? I have used a number of swingout hinges from www.Comp4x4.com They have several nice ones to choose from.

Thanks for the link! I'm looking forward to building a whole new rear bumper. I've hated the setup since I got this 80. Should be fun. :cool:

Also, my buddy said my tires must rub like a 'fat chick in corduroys', with my wheel offset, so I did some mall crawling. :hillbilly:

IMG_20171014_142248_693.jpg

IMG_20171014_143803_815.jpg

Wit's End bump stop spacers working well for me...

IMG_20171014_143631_037.jpg

Thanks for the link! I'm looking forward to building a whole new rear bumper. I've hated the setup since I got this 80. Should be fun. :cool:

Also, my buddy said my tires must rub like a 'fat chick in corduroys', with my wheel offset, so I did some mall crawling. :hillbilly:

View attachment 1555136

View attachment 1555137

Wit's End bump stop spacers working well for me...

View attachment 1555138
Lovin the camo paint theme. Reminds me on a 100 series I drove in Afghanistan. It wasn't as clean though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom