What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (95 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did a ton first fixed/replaced the rear drivers side passenger electronic lock then today removed and replaced the VC what an easy job 2.5 hours now it's really 4 wheel drive I've never had it before

Installed my Renogy 100w solar panel and Morningstar controller then rolled the truck into the sun to charge from 11.7v to 14.4 without any more effort. Blower motor cranks now no matter what engine RPM. Love this setup. In hindsight, I should maybe have gone with the thin flexible panel. The rigid panel is flush with my Prinsu crossbars and a hair above the roof ribs. I'm concerned about my REI RTT platform flexing the bars and the panel when I'm up there. Think it will be fine though.
Do you have any pics of your setup?Harnessing the power of the sun is on my to do list.

Replaced passenger side shaking mirror, trim moulding on all four doors and rear quarter.

A little bit of time on the water for fathers day:

lake.jpg

Most exciting -- had the diff lock light up for the first time in 22 years!
dash.jpg

I now have a 2X locked cruiser -- phase 1 of e-locker retrofit project!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Installed @LandCruiserPhil sway bar quick disconnect brackets. Thank you for your great customer service Phil!

Took a little longer than the suggested 10 minutes....I really need to fix my leaky valve cover gasket and clean the under carriage

Honestly I'm not sure. I haven't seen it either but this is my first 80 so I can only go by pictures I've seen on here. There are a few things with this 80 that I feel like the PO did to customize. My interior is all half grey and half tan...
Yeah, those Toyota/Mercedes collaboration floor mats are pretty rare! :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Well this weekend I started tackling my cooling system. Started by baking my original oem fan clutch for 12 hours at 170°F then let sit for another 12 to get all the old fluid out. Replaced with 20k cts fluid. 32ml came out and I put 38ml in. Replaced all belts with new as well. On my 4th full flush and refill of cooling system. 1st was like mud. After a few hours the latest is now only slightly murky looking water. Tomorrow I put in Prestone cleaner. Then see what extra gross stuff comes out. At this point I think the coolant hasn't been changed at all in the last decade or more. I have never seen such mud colored fluid in my life.

I must say the fan clutch works amazingly well now. When it engages holy wow it sounds like a hurricane. I think part of the problem was that the fan clutch temp sensor was plugged solid with hard mud. It was like concrete and I had to work it out with a pin and hammer. Before the fan would never speed up at all no matter how hot it got....at least nothing noticeable.

20160616_200053.jpg

20160616_201023.jpg

20160617_180437.jpg

20160617_180443_HDR.jpg

20160619_134006.jpg

Pulled my rear diff out for a rebuild, what is going on with my wheel bearing grease? It's gone weird on one side. Have I had water in there somehow?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

For father's day weekend, the old man and I decided to try our hands at the Birfield joints for the first time. Nearly had the job done in one day, but the Chinese rotors I bought didn't clear the face of the knuckle. It was nearly midnight and we decided to hit it fresh in the morning. Good thing I have a machine shop at my disposal, or I would have been screwed.

If you go to Autozone (read, Autobone) for rotors, do not buy the Duralast 31031 (also numbered BR1803). They'll tell you that it fits, but it does not fit out of the box.
IMAG0146.jpg

Do you have any pics of your setup?Harnessing the power of the sun is on my to do list.

I can snap a few but I'm waiting on the permanent D pillar mount (it's screwed to a piece of plywood mounted on the 3rs row seat belt shoulder mount now) and the roof penetration for the wires (they run along the gutter and across the hatch seal rubber currently). I'll post a full writeup when it's permanent in a few weeks. Still planning on running my roof lighting wiring at the same time and securing it all to the rack properly.

Advanced my injection pump timing. Nice little increase in power.

View attachment 1277991

Where was the timing set, and what did you change it to? Had you previously adjusted the timing at all? I removed my ACSD in the winter and should check/adjust my timing as well.

Started operation rip out all the crappy tint - is there any easy way to strip that crap ? lol
Replaced the antenna mast - or at least mostly replaced. Just have to finish buttoning it up.
Diagnosed the reason behind a rear window that would not go back up.
Started replacement of washer fluid bottle - found more parts to order.

Threw in a new one.
20160618_094254.jpg
Both were CSF. Old one was replaced long before I bought my 80. Which I've owned for over 8 years now. This one had a small pin hole and would blow coolant out. Still kept the gauge right in the middle. Gonna see when the salvage yards will give me. If they try and rape me I might just try to solder the hole closed, take my rake and straighten the fins, paint it and throw in storage for a spare.

• I fabbed up a mount for the transfer case shifter to attach to the NV4500 trans.
  • Closed up the trans tunnel.
  • Painted my new grey OEM LHD manual center console to match the Oak interior
  • Shortened the shift linkage rod 2"
  • Put it all back together
I was going for a clean OEM look, and am very happy with how it turned out.
20160616_151427.jpg

• I fabbed up a mount for the transfer case shifter to attach to the NV4500 trans.
  • Closed up the trans tunnel.
  • Painted my new grey OEM LHD manual center console to match the Oak interior
  • Shortened the shift linkage rod 2"
  • Put it all back together
I was going for a clean OEM look, and am very happy with how it turned out.
View attachment 1278495
Looks factory. Very nice.

Where was the timing set, and what did you change it to? Had you previously adjusted the timing at all? I removed my ACSD in the winter and should check/adjust my timing as well.
I removed my ACSD four years ago roughly, and never addressed timing.

It was at 1.29 IIRC (which is still within FSM range), set it to 1.35 (top of range per FSM).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom