What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought I was looking at 70 series wheels and 33's until closer examination. Your hubs look brand new!
Thank you. A buddy of mine @BigHighBlue actually has a set of chrome 70 series rims on his 60. Have never seen them anywhere else and did not believe they were 16’s until I took a closer look. Ben, post a pic if you can.

Added torque check paste to the flange nuts since I just rebuilt the rear FF hubs. If the nuts loosen I'll be able to tell before the gear oil begins leaking .

IMG_9346.jpg

View attachment 3211799

Picked up 6.2L of power in the sketchiest transport work I've ever done. Rolled it off the Uhaul and into my garage. Teardown starts soon to see the internal condition. Motor is an L92, aluminum block and heads. Truck accessories, non-hollow valves, intake manifold and camshaft are what differentiate this motor from an LS3. Once it's ready to go into my 60 it'll be putting out way more than a stock LS3.
Any hints on how to find a motor like this? It seems sketchy vendors are the normal here

Did you replace the seals without removing the head? I think I have oil leaking past the seals on my 40 and I've been contemplating my next steps. How did it go?
I kept the head on. I used an engine air valve holder to keep the valves in place while I took the spring off. It just keeps the cylinder filled with air while you do the work. Be sure to have a decent size air compressor at hand.

I used a combination of a valve keeper tool to remove the keepers easily. To put them back on, I used a typical valve spring compressor tool. Really wasn’t hard. The keepers are a little finicky and the valve springs are very stout.

Here’s the tools I used.

kweiny Engine Air Valve Holder... Amazon product ASIN B07FYCSKJV
Lisle 36050 Valve Keeper Remover and Installer Kit https://a.co/d/4n4K1CP

ATPEAM Overhead Valve Spring Compressor | Universal Automotive Engine Removal Repair Install Tool https://a.co/d/jfBXlRR

That style never came in chrome for the 70 series, at least not in 16" flavor but I will say they are the first I have ever seen. 0 offset?

I kept the head on. I used an engine air valve holder to keep the valves in place while I took the spring off. It just keeps the cylinder filled with air while you do the work. Be sure to have a decent size air compressor at hand.

I used a combination of a valve keeper tool to remove the keepers easily. To put them back on, I used a typical valve spring compressor tool. Really wasn’t hard. The keepers are a little finicky and the valve springs are very stout.

Here’s the tools I used.

kweiny Engine Air Valve Holder... Amazon product ASIN B07FYCSKJV
Lisle 36050 Valve Keeper Remover and Installer Kit https://a.co/d/4n4K1CP

ATPEAM Overhead Valve Spring Compressor | Universal Automotive Engine Removal Repair Install Tool https://a.co/d/jfBXlRR
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

That style never came in chrome for the 70 series, at least not in 16" flavor but I will say they are the first I have ever seen. 0 offset?
Howdy Neighbor. Yeah its hard to explain. "Nobody" has ever seen them in chrome including me yet here they are. Based on their condition I'd say they are OEM. We need some some of the TEQ guru's to weigh in on this.

Yep, if I hadn't put 4runner brakes on already, Id be down for the 70 steelies. Now if Toyota just made them in 17"

Any hints on how to find a motor like this? It seems sketchy vendors are the normal here
It took a couple months to find a good deal browsing FB Marketplace. Choose the motor you want, and if you're handy and you have the time I'd check junkyards as my first stop. There are three large ones near me and they'll pull/sell the motor for you for extra if you can't. Still a shot in the dark if it runs/was maintained well. But as long as there's not a hole in the block and the cylinder walls aren't gouged to hell I'll be fine because I'm doing a full rebuild. You'll have to be pickier if you just want a drop in.

For this motor it came in a couple suvs/trucks, the most common of which are the '07/'08 Escalades. And since they're so popular where I live I can get the entire vehicle for ~$5k if I need to. I didn't want to have to strip it down to recoup costs and that's why it took so long to find motor only. Some people want $3,500 for just this motor, why wouldn't you buy the whole car and strip it for parts to sell?

Not the weekend, but took her for a ride to see the vehicle engineer. Part of the registration process for a modified vehicle in Oz.
20230112_201249.jpg

Slow 25 mile roll through the state forest this afternoon in East Hampton CT. Tons of beautiful widow makers and blow overs from the last few strong wind storms. Not easy to be outside… very frigid. Love how my old girl just rolls along w/ no issues. Fantastic sunset tonight that seemed to go on forever.

72D11DBA-40A4-43A9-8079-86407213B0F7.jpeg

A8BA7848-3452-42DF-A691-807071366A00.jpeg

E502F9A3-CD90-4713-9CC9-DDC44AB84DE1.jpeg

05A8D890-61D2-4C56-BCD7-5E96FFE4C62A.jpeg

2 weekends ago was a big one for me.

1. Swapped stock wheels for new ones and replaced the dry rotted 31” Toyo AT’s for 33” KO2s. I’m really digging this look.
4DF91DE0-D854-4350-84E9-E391ADE09B01.jpeg

1673871707865.jpeg

2. Finally made use of the new dash that’s been sitting in my garage for a year. The one that came with the truck had a dash cap that looked worse than the original dash underneath. I had a moment of panic when I had to cut holes in the sides for the side defrost vents, but thankfully that went smoothly. If it’s in your budget to order one of these from Toyota, I recommend it. We all know they won’t be available forever.

1673871006919.jpeg

30627FDB-65CD-422F-B16A-DA2517330ABE.jpeg

3. LED light swap in the instruments. Everything except the high beam indicator. I was worried it would be too bright but the dimmer still works enough to get them to a great level of brightness. Very happy with the results.

4. Cleaned a lot of old dust. Really got inside all the vents.

1673871041595.jpeg

7C7638D9-8824-4446-B81C-59FB4F6BF078.jpeg

1673871093978.jpeg

1673871132799.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom