What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I charged the A/C back up (lasts about 6mo on a charge), drilled and tapped 2 broken bolts, one for the hood latch assembly and another one that broke when I tried to remove the upper removable portion the latch bolts to. Been meaning to drill the broken bolts for about a year and a half now. Figured with all this free time I may as well get it done. 😂

Washed it and found a reason to go drive after teleworking for two weeks.

3A508158-DF34-4BFF-8F47-4058D486A0D3.jpeg

New glove box insert from Wits End....One of my favorite upgrades. Right up there with the satisfaction you get when you snap in a new hood insulator to replace a ratted one that was literally probably housing a rat. My old glove box was toast. I had a hole in the bottom from someone taking my amplifier out without taking everything apart so it was held together with duct tape on the bottom.

A few things on the installation. Go slow when you slide it in. If you dont think it fits it is likely you have some wiring blocks that are in between the box and the plastic wall behind the glove box.....it should fit fine without forcing. Also, my latch had to slide all way forward to get it to latch right. Play with it and dont think something has to be bent for it to work....just keep making adjustments until it works. I added a couple small led lights that light up the bottom and top as needed. They dont come on automatically, but that ok for now. I also added a small layer of sticky back foam to the bottom and a couple of inches up around the sides. I keep paperwork up top and thought that the foam would stop any rattling of items in the bottom. Lastly, I took it to a powder coat guy and had him shoot it for $100 with some flat black.
FJ60gloveboxold.JPG

FJ60Gloveboxnew.JPG

FJ60gloveboxinstalled.JPG

Getting dirty with my HJ61.. Front bushing and steering damper swaps👍🏻 User tip: Don't keep your finger under in a direct line with the springs when it falls from the connection. It will hurt your finger.
20200401_150441.jpg

20200401_121124.jpg

20200401_190538.jpg

This is actually my next project—any tips? Particularly on keeping the pitman arm, steering wheel, and new box lined/centered. I’m planning to mark everything with a paint marker as I disassemble.
I didn’t make a science fair experiment out of it, just eyeballed it. Loosely attached the pitman arm on the new steering box and cycled it back and forth until I had the pitman arm travel as close to equal on both sides.
As for the steering wheel, mark the steering column when the old box is at centered.
While you are at it, pull out the lower steering column and re-lube it. Just a light coat or it won’t go back in easily. Lack of lube can cause some steering clunk (an issue I figured out some time back)
The whole steering box swap is super easy.

The right number of projects for any Cruiser is N+1

when you think you are done the list keeps going..

The only longer and truly never ending project list is the infamous "honey do " list. At least working on the Cruiser list is enjoyable the majority of the time. The other one, not so much.

Finally removed my 20 y/o Tangen lighting harness and adapted my factory headlight wiring to my JW Speaker headlights.

Went from this spiderweb,
View attachment 2255086

To this little homemade adapter to trigger the high beam indicator
View attachment 2255087
So what is that and how’s it work? I would love it my high beam indicator worked with my LED headlights.

Thanks
Ed

I’m going to post this here even though it’s not even Toyota. Thought my fellow 60 owners might like the info:

years ago I did a motorcycle trip and I made my own pannier boxes from a set of military Mermite food boxes of got off eBay for pretty cheap. I had a crash late in the trip and though both I and the bike survived those cans pretty much were toast.

however, these things are great insulated boxes and water tight and quite rugged. They show up on eBay a lot with prices from $50-$150 and they make great food/drink coolers for both hot and cold. I have one I got a while ago still as a cooler and it fits nicely in the back of my 60 but would do just fine on the back or on the roof.

A585E654-5797-4B72-AB42-9D76E125E81C.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m going to post this here even though it’s not even Toyota. Thought my fellow 60 owners might like the info:

years ago I did a motorcycle trip and I made my own pannier boxes from a set of military Mermite food boxes of got off eBay for pretty cheap. I had a crash late in the trip and though both I and the bike survived those cans pretty much were toast.

however, these things are great insulated boxes and water tight and quite rugged. They show up on eBay a lot with prices from $50-$150 and they make great food/drink coolers for both hot and cold. I have one I got a while ago still as a cooler and it fits nicely in the back of my 60 but would do just fine on the back or on the roof.

View attachment 2261250
Let’s see the set up on the bike!

View attachment 2261250

Very utilitarian retro hipster cool looking, what are the approximate dimensions of those??

Very utilitarian retro hipster cool looking, what are the approximate dimensions of those??

about:
LxWxH = 20”x10”x16”

If you get it complete it comes with 3 aluminum containers with lids that nest inside. So The kitchen could fill up with hot meals. They could load on a truck and deliver to troops wherever.

FBEFFA9D-54B6-4355-90E2-101BCCB90BEA.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom