What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the very dirty air filter with a Denso from amazon for $15. I’m waiting on my Wix fuel filters from RockAuto. For $3.09, I’ll replace them when I change the oil, if not more regularly.
Since we moved back to Phoenix and no longer live in south, south Tucson, I’ll be driving it more since getting to 97% of places no longer requires a 20+mi highway trip.

4A7BAF3C-DE06-4721-8D67-27B64225649D.jpeg

Followed last weekends manifold and injector refresh with an oil change, air filter change and valve adjustment. Dolled up my egr temp sensor bypass jig with some OEM looking loom wrap and passed smog with some amazing numbers. I’ll have to get out the records, but the tests over the years have gotten better and better each time. 10 gallons of 87 into an empty tank, and a good drive to get warmed up before the test. Whoo hoo!

Not this weekend but in April...

1) Replaced that awful water pump to pipe lower radiator hose. And oil cooler radiator hose.

2) ARB Bumper and 12k HF winch (Craigslist special!)

3) New Nanakang Mudstar's, 235/85/16 on Tacoma steelies.

20190412_181200#1.jpg

20190504_190511.jpg

20190413_160428.jpg

20190504_190559.jpg

Got the drawer front on today with a handle. Picked up some cheap indoor outdoor carpet from HD and will install when I have some time. It’s nothing to write home about, but it gives me some quality storage now.

9CAAFCF8-484E-45AC-BDB2-853492EA5ECB.jpeg

Today, I pulled the old gal (1986 FJ60) out of winter storage (since spring has finally arrived here) and she started right up after a couple of ounces of gas were poured down the carburetor - both the choke cable and the throttle cable seemed to have seized over the winter storage months - I couldn't pull out the choke cable, nor could I press the throttle. Regardless, after a couple minutes of rough idling, the 2F settled in at about 750RPM all the while I washed her up.

So, do I replace the two cables, or do I try and grease/regrease them so they function?
Or do I try to sell her as is?

Looking for advice. Thanks.

img_0460.jpg

img_0470.jpg

img_0471.jpg

img_0472.jpg

Today, I pulled the old gal (1986 FJ60) out of winter storage (since spring has finally arrived here) and she started right up after a couple of ounces of gas were poured down the carburetor - both the choke cable and the throttle cable seemed to have seized over the winter storage months - I couldn't pull out the choke cable, nor could I press the throttle. Regardless, after a couple minutes of rough idling, the 2F settled in at about 750RPM all the while I washed her up.

So, do I replace the two cables, or do I try and grease/regrease them so they function?
Or do I try to sell her as is?

Looking for advice. Thanks.

View attachment 1970243

View attachment 1970244

View attachment 1970245

View attachment 1970246
I will suggest fixing and not selling

Finally finished buttoning up my 62 after a marathon of maintenance and improvements. Replaced my busted fuel gauge with a good one from @orangefj45, installed LED headlights (have yet to see if I'll like them in my H4 housings or not. It's just LED bulbs), upgraded my horn, replaced my radiator, installed an auxiliary tranny cooler, and replaced the transmission cooling lines with -6AN hose and fittings. Refilled the transmission with Schaeffer's ATF too and WOW what a difference. Shifting is smooth like butter, truck drives much smoother overall, and with the cooler it takes a good long time to heat up. in 44 degree weather this morning on the highway it took nearly the whole commute to get up to 140 degrees, then didn't climb above 160 during the long uphill drag in 3rd gear towards the end of my commute. Very curious to see how it does going over the mountain passes.

And the horns are LOUD, and a great tone for a 60 series. I passed a friend on the freeway on my way home and honked at him, and he about shot up through the roof of his car :lol:

Finally finished buttoning up my 62 after a marathon of maintenance and improvements. Replaced my busted fuel gauge with a good one from @orangefj45, installed LED headlights (have yet to see if I'll like them in my H4 housings or not. It's just LED bulbs), upgraded my horn, replaced my radiator, installed an auxiliary tranny cooler, and replaced the transmission cooling lines with -6AN hose and fittings. Refilled the transmission with Schaeffer's ATF too and WOW what a difference. Shifting is smooth like butter, truck drives much smoother overall, and with the cooler it takes a good long time to heat up. in 44 degree weather this morning on the highway it took nearly the whole commute to get up to 140 degrees, then didn't climb above 160 during the long uphill drag in 3rd gear towards the end of my commute. Very curious to see how it does going over the mountain passes.

And the horns are LOUD, and a great tone for a 60 series. I passed a friend on the freeway on my way home and honked at him, and he about shot up through the roof of his car :lol:
what horn did you upgrade to?

Do the oil pump cover and front seal while you're in there!

Georg @ valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers
Yes we did that. Main reason I went over there was that pesky oil leak from the oil pump coverr. Did the front seal as well.
So I had him do a while we where in there stuff.

what horn did you upgrade to?
I went with two sets of WOLO Sonic Blast horns. Each comes with a high tone and low tone. Most cars typically just have one of each, but I got two and made brackets to mount the horns to that attach to the AC condenser mounting bolts. Got longer bolts with 3/8" long spacer sleeves to stand off the horn brackets from the condenser and wired all four horns in parallel powered by a 30A relay. I had 12ga wire that I used, but you'll get plenty of current to them if you use 14ga wire. I just used my 12ga silicon insulated wire so it would stand up to the heat from the condenser and tranny cooler without having the insulation get brittle over time.

I'm very satisfied with the tone and volume of these horns. It's a perfect fit for a 60 series.

Update to What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (a bit above).
Doh, the throttle is all linkages and no cable. I diagnosed the problem with the throttle linkages today to be at the carburetor (every linkage rod and rotating point is greased and moving correctly until where rod p/n 78103 (page 82 of http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/60pdf/60series_body.pdf) attaches to the carburetor. If I can't unstick the carb mechanicals, I'll install the freshly rebuilt Aisin carburetor I've had on my shelf and if that doesn't solve the choke cable seize, then I'll pick up a new choke cable. While I'm in there doing all this I'll install the manual throttle cable as a poor man's cruise control. Work so gets in the way of doing important things...

Finally made it home to the East coast. In the process blew up my rear diff in TN. I thought I was up a creek til TLCA come through with a lovely couple that had spare parts, a driveway to fix it and then put ke up for the night. I had to take the opportunity to snap a photo next to a stocker 60 and the yard full of 40s

Next is rebuilding the blown up rear third and get the same gearing front and rear. ARB looks ok but it will probably need a completely new carrier and full gear set.

IMG_20190507_111054_274.jpg

20190505_193543.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom