What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am told this is " step 1 " for a good paint job... I think step 2 needs a couple drops of black, but I am the colorblind electrician, so what do I know? The thousand secrets revealed prior to "first color" have loosened the lips of the remaining couple of dozen secrets... thankfully, Alex is game for the long haul. He's going to cut and buff next week then we'll locate and address the rest of the issues. Waiting on some TT chrome strip for the rear hatch...View attachment 1529964View attachment 1529965View attachment 1529966View attachment 1529967View attachment 1529968

Dang! That color looks great. I need to spray mine soon. Do you know what paint and color he/used?

I'll get a pic of the label. It is a single stage uerethane. I wanna say it is chevy fire engine red that was supposed to have had a couple drops of black mixed in... I think the last part got skipped. I'm learning to like this color as much as 3f4 quickly...

It seems dead on in the shade, but a bit lighter in full sun...

I know this isn't a new mod or topic, but I thought my two cents might be helpful for anyone tackling this in the future...

I finally put a Wheelskins cover on my steering wheel. It's not a perfect install, but I'm really happy with it- especially considering it replaced a worn out, cheap cover.

For anyone else who is thinking about this, the Wheelskins website will tell you BX is the correct size for an FJ60- it is not. It was far too large around the grip and loose around the wheel, as shown below:

image1.JPG

I emailed them and they exchanged it quickly, without question. I measured 15 3/4" diameter and 3" even around the grip. They sent it to me labeled as a custom size. It fits perfectly. Here's a shot just after I started:

IMG_7709.JPG

Their instructions recommend gloves with cutoff fingertips, which I highly recommend. You need to pull as hard as you can on the thread and it will do a number on your fingers without them.

And the end result... not bad!!!

IMG_7716.JPG

Last edited:
I know this isn't a new mod or topic, but I thought my two cents might be helpful for anyone tackling this in the future...

I finally put a Wheelskins cover on my steering wheel. It's not a perfect install, but I'm really happy with it- especially considering it replaced a worn out, cheap cover.

For anyone else who is thinking about this, the Wheelskins website will tell you BX is the correct size for an FJ60- it is not. It was far too large around the grip and loose around the wheel, as shown below:

View attachment 1530058

I emailed them and they exchanged it quickly, without question. I measured 15 3/4" diameter and 3" even around the grip. They sent it to me labeled as a custom size. It fits perfectly. Here's a shot just after I started:

View attachment 1530056

Their instructions recommend gloves with cutoff fingertips, which I highly recommend. You need to pull as hard as you can on the thread and it will do a number on your fingers without them.

View attachment 1530057

oh s***ballsz - i didnt know this was even available!!! i'll be doing this soon. my brown leather wheel wrap is pretty well worn - and kinda disgusting. when I clean it - it remains sorta slimy and sticky for about a day.

new one would be quite nice. thanks for sharing.

View attachment 1530058

View attachment 1530056

View attachment 1530057

I'm trying to figure out how you stitched around the legs of the horn. I'm assuming you just stitched the holes in the front for looks, and left the backside of the horn legs of the cover empty. Then started attaching again once past the leg?

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out how you stitched around the legs of the horn. I'm assuming you just stitched the holes in the front for looks, and left the backside of the horn legs of the cover empty. Then started attaching again once past the leg?

Yes, that's exactly what I did. Just loop it around the holes in front leaving an equal amount of holes blank/empty on the backside.

They also have a great instructional video that walks you through the entire install, including how to get around the spokes:

View attachment 1530058

View attachment 1530056

View attachment 1530057

Could you please turn the wheel 16 degrees to the right and take another photo? I want to see how it would look in my cruiser.

Could you please turn the wheel 16 degrees to the right and take another photo? I want to see how it would look in my cruiser.

Sounds like you need one turn of the relay rod

For the wheel skin, what color did you pick, and what one did they send that was correct. Color good?

For the wheel skin, what color did you pick, and what one did they send that was correct. Color good?
Color is charcoal... perfect match for anyone with grey interior. They sent the size I measured: 15 3/4" x 3"

Got what's left of the '89 FJ62 donor vehicle loaded up on a tow dolly for a trip to Texas early Monday morning - the body and frame to Spring Branch, with the frame continuing on later to Dallas. The axles will travel home with me and eventually to the '84 FJ60 parts vehicle, right now sitting on blocks and cribbing out in the Nevada sun. Once the axles are under it it'll go into the garage/workshop next to the '84 FJ60 I bought new. To make way for the second '84, the '71 FJ40 will give up its spot, and come back here to join the '76 FJ40 in New Mexico for some more upgrades. I bought the running '89 for $1,500 about 15 years ago, always intended to be the donor for my '86 FJ60 build. So the '89 will live on in at least three other 60-Series. Looking back, it's had a very good life.

Eastern slope rules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom