What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got what's left of the '89 FJ62 donor vehicle loaded up on a tow dolly for a trip to Texas early Monday morning - the body and frame to Spring Branch, with the frame continuing on later to Dallas. The axles will travel home with me and eventually to the '84 FJ60 parts vehicle, right now sitting on blocks and cribbing out in the Nevada sun. Once the axles are under it it'll go into the garage/workshop next to the '84 FJ60 I bought new. To make way for the second '84, the '71 FJ40 will give up its spot, and come back here to join the '76 FJ40 in New Mexico for some more upgrades. I bought the running '89 for $1,500 about 15 years ago, always intended to be the donor for my '86 FJ60 build. So the '89 will live on in at least three other 60-Series. Looking back, it's had a very good life.

Will take good care of the transplant organs.

4Cruisers you are a class act. Look forward to meeting you in person one of these days.

Replaced my transmission and transfer case fill/drain plugs from Wit's End:D

IMG_1736.JPG
IMG_1738.JPG
Just got back from 5 nights of archery elk hunting on the Oregon coast:

UMjcdRP.jpg

xTKmb2v.jpg

D23kVJ7.jpg

3SubS1a.jpg

Z4rwB6T.jpg

Some highlights:

• Hiked around 10 miles and 750 vertical feet per day in 85 - 90 degree temps through some steep and thickly forested terrains. We saw elk nearly every day and had a chance at two different bulls but ended up not making it happen.
  • The Hayden 679 I installed last week stopped my transmission from overheating, although my engine seems to be running a little hotter than normal now. I suspect it's mounted a little too close to the radiator and will need to design a new bracket to give it some offset/
  • The OME medium-heavy suspension is plush on the old logging roads and the new Toyo Open Country M/Ts handle winding dirt roads with the grace of a gazelle.
That's awesome. I found this bull skull in the Wind River range in WY last month. Was not hunting but did keep the one elk ivory that was still in the jaw.

4Cruisers you are a class act. Look forward to meeting you in person one of these days.
I can vouch for that. John is a great guy. Really enjoyed hanging out with him at Mcguires house the other day. Said he and his wife will make the trip for Roundup next March :)

I can vouch for that. John is a great guy. Really enjoyed hanging out with him at Mcguires house the other day. Said he and his wife will make the trip for Roundup next March :)

Agreed Jimmy. Glad to know them and look forward to spending time with you guys in March.

Got the headlight buzzer in. Thanks Mud!

Any ideas on windshield washers? The pump runs, there's fluid in the reservoir, but nothing comes out.

Check the filter in the inlet of the pump. Usually has fine silt in it. While you have the hose disconnected blow some air through it to make sure it is clear also.
Half a "nanner" job.

I am told this is " step 1 " for a good paint job... I think step 2 needs a couple drops of black, but I am the colorblind electrician, so what do I know? The thousand secrets revealed prior to "first color" have loosened the lips of the remaining couple of dozen secrets... thankfully, Alex is game for the long haul. He's going to cut and buff next week then we'll locate and address the rest of the issues. Waiting on some TT chrome strip for the rear hatch...View attachment 1529964View attachment 1529965View attachment 1529966View attachment 1529967View attachment 1529968

I need to send the chrome lockstrip for the back hatch. Sorry slipped my mind this week.

J

No worries! Thanks J! maybe I'll get some tinting done while it's traveling...

Tearing stuff apart to replace rear axle seals and bearings; OEM from @beno.

View attachment 1531527

Stacked tires under rear as a safety precaution. Jack stands are solid but for a little more peace of mind I placed the tires under the receiver hitch.

View attachment 1531530
Fresh drum brakes. Gear oil contamination is great for quieting down the noise but that's about all :lol:. Shoes and wheel cylinders from Rockauto.

View attachment 1531531
I've been living with a half-way parking brake and poor brake shoe self-adjustment for a few years. Discovered that the swing arm that supports the small parking brake cable was frozen and damaged. This is the replacement.

View attachment 1531532

Excellent safety point Gator Jim stacking the tires. Did my entire OME install alone and felt very comfortable under there with the wheels stacked under the bumper. I also never take all 4 wheels off at the same time.
Yep, I'm a safety dork.

Excellent safety point Gator Jim stacking the tires. Did my entire OME install alone and felt very comfortable under there with the wheels stacked under the bumper. I also never take all 4 wheels off at the same time.
Yep, I'm a safety dork.

Safety dork :lol: but still alive :D

I hear an echo of the old 3FE list in this post.

Changed the oil and filter. Also repaired/replaced the driver's side horn. While I was underneath I noticed I lost the lower shock bolt, washer, and half of the shock bushing. I ordered a couple of bolts/washers...guess where the warehouse is...north Florida. The parts said it may be delivered next week depending on the weather. I need to dig up a shock busing. I'm not sure I have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom