What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Celebrated it's 264 birthday with a fresh tank of gas. Keep em' rolling, boys!

5mb6Fqql.jpg

Looks good. Is that a fabbed bumper up front? I'm looking for something smaller than an ARB for the front of my 89. I have a Warn 9000 that I will be installing. Thanks.
It is a fabbed bumper the PO put on there. It's nothing special, but I do have my XD9000 in there also.

Nothing too exciting, just rehabbed a couple of battery trays. They were pretty beat up, but cleaned up nice.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As partial prep for the long drive back home to Alaska, made use of some cabinet-grade birch ply...that had warped and so no good for furniture...to make:
1. a bed. Cut up a king gel-memory foam mattress to fit right; and
IMG_2563.jpg

2. some definitely on-the-cheap slide-outs underneath: a couple of bucks each for rolly-wheeled "underbed storage bins" from Lowe's, into which some of my Systainers fit just perfectly. And a very stout slide-to-expand ramp for now permanently-pawdicapped Borealis on its own ledge on the left.
For the frame, I used some left-over 12" BCIs (engineered joist). Hellforstout and lightweight enough to do the job properly, although it splinters terribly so I wrapped some exposed areas with white duct tape.
On edit: three BCIs (left, center and right) provide precisely the correct width to fit two of those under-bed storage bins and the 20" wide dog ramp in a 62. I don't often get that lucky. And the center one gives the needed location for securing two sheets atop: each 73" x 30". Those dimensions give a much more tractable set-up - you can't more efficiently use 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, because your diagonal clearance for emplacing a wider sheet is compromised by the foot of height you've lost once you have set up the frame. You can trust me on this!

Should work well: Aurora gets to sleep in the front seat, Borealis in the bed in the rear, and, ummm....whereinhell are Jenny and I supposed to sleep? :)

Last edited:
Nothing too exciting, just rehabbed a couple of battery trays. They were pretty beat up, but cleaned up nice.

Looking verra good. Any special paint, that? Nothing rubberized like the original stuff?

Looking verra good. Any special paint, that? Nothing rubberized like the original stuff?
Nothing special, a few coats of Rustoleum primer then a few of Rustoleum gloss black, then let it bake in the Hawaiian heat for a few days. We decided on small rubber pads wherever metal to metal or metal to battery touched to help minimize scratching and re-rusting.

What did you use to get the rubberised coating off? I tried sandblasting, but the sand just bounced off the rubber
Mine pealed off pretty easy from where rust had formed, then just kind of lifted the rest off the clean metal. The stuff that didn't come up, my husband wire wheeled off pretty easily.

We Starting reassembling the cruiser after a several month period. It started out when we were looking for a leak. We went on a wild goose chase finding it. First, we thought it was in the floorboards, but later we discovered it was around the windshield, ($$$) so we tore of the windshield gasket and discovered that the lip the gasket had attached to was quite rusted. We sanded and sanded and sanded, but eventually we came to the conclusion that this was a job for the professionals, so we sent it off to a body shop and then a windshield installer. Fortunately, we had a good deal, but now we have to reassemble the cruiser, which has been nearly gutted.

Nothing! :clap: :moon: :flipoff2: :D It's gone getting A/C, starting on 40 tom.

Just got done with the 40s valves the other day, they were all over the place. Some way to tight, some way to loose its not as noisy but think it might have other issues. Went over them all twice some 3 times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom