What did you do on your 70 series today? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HZJ77 front brake pads. I wrench on a lot of different vehicles. GM...Chrysler...Ford... but it never ceases to amaze me of the genius and the thoughtful design of the Toyota engineers. The way in which the pads can be replaced without having to pull everything apart is just...elegant. I'm a little embaressed, but is it ok to say that I actually enjoyed working on my brakes tonight?

Front Brake parts.jpg

Front Brakes.jpg

really wish i was better at taking pics..... ive been having a idle problem (gasser), namely unsteady and dies almost everytime i take my foot off the pedal. plus just alot of fuel use and generally rough.

started out chasing vacuum leak possibilities but ultimately decided to tear the carb down and do a rebuild to spec with all the SST tools, ya know, 6mm allen key and protractor ;)

long story short, the carb was out of whack in linkage settings, secondary setting and insanely high float level.

set the carb to spec, re installed and the engine sounds better, quieter and smoother than ever. went for a drive and its performing flawlessly.

i forgot how smooth these carbs can be when set up right.

Working on the knuckles today. I was surprised to see there weren't any cone washers in the bottom trunion bearing cap. There aren't any provisions for them either. Is this normal for a 77?

i had zero shims in the top trunion cap and two in the bottom! The top bearing and race were in rough shape.

CB6B71B0-FDFC-4CD4-BF95-22820DE0A010.jpeg

Ever seen zero shims under a trunion cap from the factory?

I'm debating whether or not to just put a shim on each end from the cruiser outfitters kit. Doesn't feel right putting 2 shims on one side and zero on the other. But maybe I'm trying to mistakenly out think the Toyota engineers.

Yes I have.

I recommend you follow the FSM in figuring out if you need more or less shims.

It’s all detailed there. Otherwise, take it to a professional whom can figure it out for you.

There is nothing arbitrary about anything to do with LC engineering.

Wow.

Ever seen zero shims under a trunion cap from the factory?

I'm debating whether or not to just put a shim on each end from the cruiser outfitters kit. Doesn't feel right putting 2 shims on one side and zero on the other. But maybe I'm trying to mistakenly out think the Toyota engineers.
I believe you need a Toyota Knuckle Centering Tool. It’s an SST and hard to find. That would be the only way to confirm you potentially have shims in the wrong position. But I’m with Onur on this one. To me this would be one of the least weird things I’ve seen from factory.

I hope to be in the Rockies in 10days or so.
I’d like to know more about your altitude adjustments.
I have an EGT and water temp gauge as a precursor* Pretty simple though, just get a 19mm wrench out and loosen the nut on the back of the injection pump, then turn the screw towards the firewall for more fuel and away for less. Had to mess with it every 3000ft in elevation I climbed or my temps would become hot enough for my liking. This is all with a 3B with an inline pump and a very cheap turbo build, don't know how it works with a 13BT and stock exhaust manifold/turbo meant for the cruiser. Wish you the best of luck, don't be afraid to go slowwwww and use your hazards.

Thanks for the input, it's helped. I think there is a very good chance the shims were set that way from the factory and I was jumping to a conclusion based on my own experience with my other solid axle cruisers. I've never seen a cap without a shim.

Tried towing my little trailer again, post-new-injectors, with my brother following (not because he couldn't keep up LOL). The driving experience is way more fun. I even did some hills in 5th, without the EGT's sky-rocketting.

Anyways, just a few days away with my brother, the bikes and the dogs.
IMG_0328.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_20210702_170049078.jpg

Wish you the best of luck, don't be afraid to go slowwwww and use your hazards.
Last trip out there I was blowing at least some black smoke all the time.
I have egt and boost gauges now. Also backed the injector pump off some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom