What did you do on your 70 series today? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just installed new seats into my FZJ73. Had to get the seat mounts for the new Corbeau seats designed and fitted by RCI Jeep in Melbourne Florida.

View attachment 2668749View attachment 2668750View attachment 2668751View attachment 2668752View attachment 2668754
Where did you find those vinyl aftermarket mats ?

Where did you find those vinyl aftermarket mats ?
I'm not sure if you saw, but Cruiserparts (I knowwww) is selling complete, basically brand new, 79/76 series grey vinyl carpet sets for DIRT cheap. You'll also have to get that cup holder up by the shifter cause its from the 2007+ models.

I'm not sure if you saw, but Cruiserparts (I knowwww) is selling complete, basically brand new, 79/76 series grey vinyl carpet sets for DIRT cheap. You'll also have to get that cup holder up by the shifter cause its from the 2007+ models.

Are they LHD or RHD? Last time I looked around that site, they were LHD?

Are they LHD or RHD? Last time I looked around that site, they were LHD?
A lot of Cruiserparts sources originate in the Middle East so I’m guessing the bulk of their items were removed from LHD Land Cruisers.

79 and 76 are different floor pans . 76 might work kinda on a 73 if you trim it here and there , shifter holes won’t line up neither

79 and 76 are different floor pans . 76 might work kinda on a 73 if you trim it here and there , shifter holes won’t line up neither

I thought they were the same second row and front .?

I thought they were the same second row and front .?
73 has a H55 and most of the 76/79's come with either R151 or H152 and the shifter locations are different , floor panel between front and second row will be completely different between 73/74 and 76/77

Added an Odd Iron Off Road recovery point to my BJ74. Probably should have read in more detail before pressing the buy button...and bought 2 recovery points. Until I get another on order, I'll just make sure I only need to be recovered from the front right corner!

Rob made this specifically for trucks like mine with the front porch and factory PTO (as opposed to those made for ARB bumpers as discussed elsewhere by @Gun Runner 5 and others).
recoverypoint1.jpeg

10 minutes later
recoverypoint2.jpeg

By far the cleanest part of the truck
recoverypoint3.jpeg

Gratuitous picture from the desert for no real reason
RightyOriflamme3.jpg

Got to try out my new hitch for the first time.
BA0D5196-7ACA-47B0-88F1-A4F7FBE067BC.jpeg

Added an Odd Iron Off Road recovery point to my BJ74. Probably should have read in more detail before pressing the buy button...and bought 2 recovery points. Until I get another on order, I'll just make sure I only need to be recovered from the front right corner!

Rob made this specifically for trucks like mine with the front porch and factory PTO (as opposed to those made for ARB bumpers as discussed elsewhere by @Gun Runner 5 and others).
recoverypoint1.jpeg

10 minutes later
recoverypoint2.jpeg

By far the cleanest part of the truck
recoverypoint3.jpeg

Gratuitous picture from the desert for no real reason
RightyOriflamme3.jpg
You need to get some dirt on that recovery point. 😊

73 has a H55 and most of the 76/79's come with either R151 or H152 and the shifter locations are different , floor panel between front and second row will be completely different between 73/74 and 76/77
Was cheap enough I figured I’d give it a go. Have em sitting in a box at home. Fingers crossed a little custom work will give me a good fit 😬

Finally (and I mean FINALLY) sorted out my stereo. Long story short, newer style 12V headunit in a 24V vehicle. Power kept cutting out when using turn signals, hi beams, braking (lights), etc. Very annoying and also troublesome.

I had always assumed there was a 24v-12V converter inline somewhere but never really chased the lines back all the way. Power came out of a relay mounted above the glove box. Wasn't sure what I was thinking, but for some reason I just accepted it as is. I could never find a voltage converter anywhere anyways.

Turns out, a previous owner had cut the original switched and constant power lines and wired a new stereo off one of the batteries (therefore 12V). I'm not sure if it ever worked properly, surely not for me. He had a relay above the glovebox that ostensibly gave switched power, but lack of constant power, hence all my problems.

Ripped all that old crud out and got a couple Victron Orion 24v-12v converters in 10A and 5A guise. 10A for the switched power (in case I want to run a CB or other such thing down the line), 5A for the constant draw. Local solar/wind power supply stocks both of em, so super easy to source. Found the terminated stock lines (thankfully) near the end of the harness and wired it all in. Common ground in one of the threaded ports above the glove box.

Drove around for an hour or so with a few cycles of on's and offs. Memory settings are all remembered (duh) and no cutting in power mid drive. A little concerned about uneven battery draw but the whole thing was on switched power so I guess we'll see.

Sorry for lack of pictures, but it's not that visually exciting anyways. Coming soon: turbo swap! Will certainly document this one very well and share.

Last edited:
You bringing him to the September event? 😊
Hope so! I'll be at college a lot closer to the event so no big deal for me. Depends on work and stuff going on.

Nice. What rear springs did you go with? CS017R A or B ?

I also installed the OME medium kit recently (on my '89 LHD BJ73). Per Cruiser Outfitters' recommendation, I avoided the A & B combo and went with two A springs. Mine currently leans to the left. Wondering if a B spring on the right would have been the better option... I have no aftermarket accessories mounted. In the OME installation guide, they actually recommend an A/B combo in the rear but I didn't see that until after install. Curious to hear other accounts of spring choice, settling, and lean with the OMEs.

View attachment 2670589

I went with the A/B combo, I followed the ARB guide. I was a little disappointed in the shocks, there isn't much extension in them at all, so we'll see how they hold up.

I bought the springs locally as they would have been too heavy to ship, but got the rest of the kit from Cruiser Outfitters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom