What did you do on your 70 series today? (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just can’t believe all the work you are having to do to fix that. Are all his builds like that or was it a transition time where shoddy work was done?
The lack of quality control and craftsmanship is off-scale. I’m fortunate enough to have a very talented shop nearby that can correct these issues. It however is unfortunate that this year long “correction phase” was even necessary.
I’m pleased that the end result will for the most part be a new 79 Series Ute.

Front bumper for @i4c4lo BJ74

J

IMG_20200827_103012417.jpg
IMG_20200827_100059331.jpg
IMG_20200827_100132718.jpg
IMG_20200827_104811304.jpg
IMG_20200827_104854069.jpg

Love the frenched fairlead....

Rust treatment and prevention:. .my bj 73 from Spain had previous rust repair which was to pretty it up for sale and not thorough or lasting. I have a few places starting to bubble, but not worth stripping down a mostly nice looking truck.
Sandblasting all and welding in new metal is the gold standard, but also very labor intensive/expensive. The past 2 days I treated the inside of my body panels with a rust converter which chemically reacts with rust turning it to a hard black coating stopping further corrosion. I then coat with a thick asphalt based coating to protect. I also clear all drain holes and drill more to ensure water doesn't collect and corrode body panels.
Corroseal is like por 15 and can be sprayed with a garden sprayer.
This time I used black beauty asphalt fence coating from tractor supply thinned with mineral spirits and naptha through the same garden sprayer to coat the underbody, and inner body panels.
Time will tell if it actually drys. Last time I used this method, I used henry's asphalt lap cement thinned with mineral spirits.
In the pictures you will see pics of surface rust that has turned black after corroseal, and you will see pics after asphalt coat.

IMG_20200828_142438.jpg

IMG_20200828_173921.jpg

IMG_20200828_142200.jpg

Finally found an affordable armrest for the 70 Series. Perhaps a group-buy is in order. 😊
E428CE7D-5136-490C-8C7B-66A7F97ACDAB.jpeg

I then coat with a thick asphalt based coating to protect.

My first car was an MGB and I used a lot of asphalt roof cement to protect Rustoleum-painted repairs. After 16 years of driving put it in the shop and tore it all apart. The paint under the roof cement looked brand new. A friend of mine has an award winning Porsche 356 that he restored himself. Factory undercoatng was tar and mineral spirits and that is what he put on.

Why did you choose that type of filament? Never heard of it.

The turbo is all spiffed up and ready to be re-installed. Just a few issues .... Oil line was not installed correctly, water line wasn’t installed at all and the wastegate didn’t work.
309D52DD-5353-4950-BB37-A6DA7BD7B89C.jpeg
(Photo courtesy of Odd Iron Off Road)

The turbo is all spiffed up and ready to be re-installed. Just a few issues .... Oil line was not installed correctly, water line wasn’t installed at all and the wastegate didn’t work. View attachment 2421870 (Photo courtesy of Odd Iron Off Road)

I could not get that actuator to work on my 75 with a CT26. Used the yellow spring and everything. Couldn't get it to push to 14psi. Maxed at 11psi even with a boost controller.

I could not get that actuator to work on my 75 with a CT26. Used the yellow spring and everything. Couldn't get it to push to 14psi. Maxed at 11psi even with a boost controller.
I’ll be happy with 10-11psi. I’m in no hurry. :)

Good point! For me it was lowering EGTs with higher boost.

Finally tracked down an OEM grill to match the 1985 HJ75. Seller even re-painted it and the TOYOTA logo was on Amazon. Not bad. Definitely compliments the Troopy more. Now I need to make some bug netting for the backside to protect the new radiator going in tomorrow...

TroopyBuild-10.jpg

TroopyBuild-11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom